My cat is on Prozac and still spraying!
Hello everyone!

My 6 years old cat started to spray one year ago and was placed on Prozac.  She stopped spraying for a few months, which made us very happy, but then she started spraying again.  She is an indoor-only cat, but each evening I put her on a harness to play in the backyard for 1 hour while I garden.  Recently, she cries to go out all the time and when I don't let her, she sprays - sometimes in three places.  We just moved into our home with the neighbor letting his two cats roam about.  I tried to use the Scarecrow sensor water spray to keep them out, but they still manage to get into our property.  Since I can't control my neighbor's cats and I can't stop my cat from spraying, even on Prozac, does anyone have any suggestions to help her to stop spraying the house?

Thank you!
aww this is a huge problem esp when there are cats roaming the yard and leaving their scent around...I have had the same issue with my male for a few years now, its always worse in spring-fall, not so much in the winter b/c the windows are closed I imagine?

Has your kitty had an urinalysis and check for crystals just to rule out medical issues?

have you also cleaned all soiled areas with an enzyme cleaner to remove all scents that kitty could still smell? this is very important, if you just clean with ordinary cleaners you may not smell but cats still can..

I will tell you what I opted for in April in lieu of prozac....its from a more natural ingredient...and alot easier on the kitty..
my Vet gave me a product called ZYLKENE 75, one capsule per day for a 10lb cat. I open the capsule mix with a small amount of water and give it to him via dropper.
he has been on this for 6 weeks now and it looks very promising, he's only sprayed twice in 6 weeks thats a HUGE improvement.
when he sprayed the 2 times I added a supplement called L-Theanine its an amino acid and produces a calming affect...use 50 mgs, again open the capsule and mix 1/4 of it in with the Zylkene. using these two products he hasn't sprayed again and it doesn't make him sleepy/dopey he acts his normals self just NO spraying...so I am praying it works.
I will give you a link to this amino acid from where I buy, if you get from your local health food store in another brand be VERY sure its free from soy, wheat, sugar, salt....all things that aren't good for kitty use...good luck and keep us posted:)

http://www.iherb.com/Country-Life-Gluten-Free-L-Theanine-200-mg-60-Veggie-Caps/6390
It is natural for cats to spray, this is how they mark their territory.

We had our silver Persian snipped because although he was let out every day, he still used to do it in the house.  The operation did help.  But I don't know if he sprayed afterwards because I couldn't smell anything.  When we moved house though, I did smell it, but wasn't sure if he peed, he had a habit of sneaking off an peeing where he shouldn't and especially if he litter tray was not cleaned straight away.  It may have been due to his kidney problems that we did not detect in the earlier years.

He was a very melancholic and depressed cat if he was kept indoors, and I tried him on Prozac to help his moods, but it didn't help.  He lasted for 15 years and died of kidney problems in the end.

If your cat has not been snipped, you will have to watch her if you do not want any kittens.

Best wishes.
Thank you for the recommendation, Opus88!  I went to the vet, here in the USA, asked him about the Zylkene and unfortunately, he was not able to order the product for us in the USA.  However, I persuaded my aunt in France to order some and send them to us; so, hopefully we will see the same improvement you saw in yours :)

Our cat has been spayed since she was six-months old, never had a problem until a year ago.  We spend too much money on the enzymatic cleaners that we are praying that something will work to stop her from spraying.  Here’s hoping Zylkene and L-Theanine will work!