Cats Community
My cat keeps viciously attacking me and others and won't let me in...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

My cat keeps viciously attacking me and others and won't let me in my own home, he's actually scarring me!

Hi, twice in the last month my 7 year old male cat has full on attacked me. The first time was the worst, he made quite a mess of my leg plus he attacked my mum at the same time and the second time he was actually going for my face and attacked my mum again as well as me but we managed to shut him in the bedroom. When he attacks it's as though he's totally gone psychotic and a red mist comes down, he will not back down to anything or anyone not even me and I'm number one in the house. He doesn't run off and will not stop he keeps diving at me like something possessed! It's got to the point now where he doesn't even want me in the house n was on the verge of stricking again tonight. I've put plenty of food, biscuits and water down as i daren't even go in my own home for fear of him attacking again and i don't know how to stop him plus he tries to trap us in a room with no escape! Please help I can't live like this, he's my baby and really don't want to have him put to sleep as family have suggested. Please help. Thank you.
Oh my.  So this is brand new behavior this last month?  Is your kitty neutered?  Whether he is or not, my suggestion would be to see your vet.  If your cat is suddenly doing this, then something is very very wrong.  
He's previously attacked my mum 4 years plus ago while she was looking after him for me while i was away but he's never done this to me before. He's always been very strong willed and minded and always had to keep him in check and there was only me who could control him but now he won't even take any notice of me, it's like he's trying to take over the whole house and me too. Yes i had him neutered when he was a kitten. I am going to the vets tomorrow to try and speak to a vet. Thank you for your comment :-)
Oh, honey, good luck!  Of course he is your baby.  Besides the obvious reason, this must be so upsetting.  Please let us know what the vet concludes.  Make sure you describe to your vet exactly what you did here.  Sounds like a dangerous situation, I'm afraid.
It is so upsetting, I'm just so devastated it's happened. Normally he follows me round like a little lap dog, everywhere i go he follows without fail and he loves it and so do i to be honest :-). I've grown up with cats and never come across one that's been so nasty and uncontrollable. Any normal cat would run away but not my little terror he just keeps coming at us! I will let you know how it goes with the vet (fingers and everything possible crossed they have a solution!) Thank you for your time and advice,very much appreciated.
Sometimes if an animal gets nervous they can act strangely.  Make sure that nothing has changed too much, around the kitty.  If Stardust senses we are nervous she will bit our legs.
Hi Leanne....I sooo feel for you.  I have an older cat, TJ who seems to react to overstimulation by petting, by grabbing my hand or fingers, not too hard but it is a little scary and surprising.  I try not to overact and I immediately stop petting him.  He's 15.  I have another cat, Aramis, who has been doing on a much smaller scale what your cat is doing.  He's 9 1/2 and only does this once in a great while.  Unlike my other cat, Aramis will come after you....a firm "NO" won't stop him.  He's normally just the sweetest and now I'm wondering if this is a progressive trait and I will have my hands full like you do.  Someone else had this issue on the forum about 6 mo. ago and I can't remember what she finally did about it.  i will try to find the thread.  Good luck...and protect yourself.  Don't let him catch you off-guard.
Sounds like he might be infected with Bartonella.  It's street name is Cat Scratching Disease.  This is highly infectious.  I've literally only found out this information as mine attacked me tis morning and I have just had some stitched put in my arm and back at work with long sleeves.  Such an embarrasing thing to have to tell your boss... More importantly, I love my baby so much (he is 11 years old).
I'm going to have my cat and myself checked out next week as humans can get this too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartonella

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Cat-Scratch-Disease.htm

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/8548

My cat was very aggressive and stalked me when he was upset. I decided to have him put down; he was 7. He attacked me 5 times, the last time was the worst, I felt traumatized. Couldn't walk in my house without a laser or toy to calm and distract him. Usually it took only a day to get back to nomal but this time it had been three days of hissing and stalking. he would follow me around the house hissing and growling. I brought him to he vet and they couldn't find anything medically wrong. He was not aggressive with the vet or my friend who came to help me. When we got home, he hid in a corner. The second my friend left, he attacked me again. I decided to have him put down. I feel so sad but couldn't imagine him attacking someone else or doing permanent damage to me. I had tried wall plug in, rescue remedy drops to calm him but nothing worked. I am having doubts on my decision. Even though I  felt tht I had no choice, my vet encouraged/supported my decision I feel so sad. Has anyone else gone through this? He was so unpredictable and acted on instinct.
Hi Leanne, I came across this thread as I am going through the exact same with my 10 month old Charlie at the moment and it's driving me crazy.  He has inflicted some really bad bites and scratches on me and I regularly have kids round to my house so I am terrified he is going to attack someone else, though it always seems to be me.  In the same way as you he just keeps coming at me and coming at me no matter what I try to do to defend myself.  Charlie is 10 months old and not neutered due to a slight breathing problem that is stopping the vet from putting him under to neuter him.  I just can't deal with it any more it's so stressful but he is my baby and I need to try everything.  Did anything work for you? Thanks, Angie x
Hi Stephanie,

I just ran across this conversation/thread.

I have a 4 year old male cat who is neutered.  About a year ago he started attacking me for no reason.  He charges my legs and feet with all 4 legs and his mouth and bites me and scratches me.  The first time it happened, i instinctively without thought bent down and socked him in the head.  It did not faze him.  he twitched and moved as if he wanted to continue attacking even though i had my fist ready to hit him again if he decided to strike.  Since then he has attacked me 5 more times.  sometimes he attacks me when I am asleep at night.  He is terrorizing my other animals as well.  I have 2 small dogs and 2 other cats and he acts as if he hates them and me.  I don't know what to do.  I am afraid of him - however I feel guilty even thinking about putting him to sleep.  I hand raised him from when he was 1 day old and I can't help but wonder if that has something to do with it.  Can you tell me what you ended up doing with your situation?  I am beside myself with guilt and worry.  

Jen
hi jenny and welcome. have you ruled out a medical problem? he may well be feeling real miserable with a bladder infection or crystals in his urine that is very common for male cats...
here also is an article on aggression, perhaps something there will be of help..but I would really suggest a good check up and urinalysis as well. keep us posted. good luck

http://www.pets.ca/cats/articles/aggressive-cats/
I had a similar situation with my beloved Maine Coon mix.  He was my baby, as I raised him from a kitten.  He was the coolest cat, and would even "kiss" me on my cheek by gently biting it.  When he was younger, he would "scream" like a wild cat whenever he went to the vet, but wouldn't attack anyone, and he would get over it.  He would just get freaked out about something and scream and run upstairs, but then later he would come down and seem okay.  He became increasingly skittish and once screamed at me while I was big pregnant with my first child.  Right after she was born, he actually attacked me on my back (tore up my shirt and scratched me badly).  He attacked my sister's legs once, and my daughter's legs (she was older) and then just acted like everything was fine.  His freakout screams started to happen more and more frequently, and they scared everyone in the house.  I was even scared to go back in my house one time to get the camera for my daughter's dance recital, so I just had to leave without it!  I would let him cool down in his favorite room upstairs (our guest room), so it became his room, since he seemed to feel safer in there.  My daughter and I went in there to get some Christmas decorations and she pushed the button on a musical toy.  My cat freaked out in our guest room and I had to jump in front of my daughter because I didn't know if he was just going to scream or attack.  Well, he actually charged at me twice! Twice!  All I was trying to do was get us quickly out of the room, but he kept coming at me.  It happened really fast and everyone in the room was screaming.  I managed to get out of there with my daughter behind me, and closed the door.   The doorknob and doorway were splattered with blood--it was mine.  He had gotten my legs pretty badly, but my hand was the worst...it was ripped open so bad that you could see deep inside- I've never had a cut that deep and I don't know if it was a tooth or a nail!  I still have the scar.  I should have gone to the emergency room, but I was afraid they would have him put down.  I did get a tetanus shot a few days later, just in case.  I didn't know what to do after that, so I led two lives, my life with my regular family, and my life with him.  I would spend time with him, play, have petting sessions, hand-feed him the cat grass he so loved, but I had to keep him basically separate from everyone else so he mostly stayed in our guest room.  I would hold him my arms and we'd have gentle walks around the house, but he was terrified to go outside and apprehensive about leaving "his" room.  I had been trying to figure what was wrong with him for years, but couldn't get any real answers.  I even tried a low dose of Prozac, then Paxil, from my vet, but I don't think it helped much.  I couldn't rehome him, couldn't put him down.  I loved him so much and we had such a bond.  My mother saw how I was altering my life to protect him (and my daughter from him).  I even went so far as to consider not having anymore children because I knew that the crying baby sound at this point might set him off.  I know I sound like a nut, but when there is a behavior problem, it is very complicated and you think surely you can fix it and live happily (and safely) ever after.  I think mild cases of aggression can be helped with the drugs, and you should have a vet rule out other medical causes, but I don't know the answer to severe cases.  My mother (who has a key) came into my home while I was at work and took my cat to be put to sleep.  I didn't know anything about it and I was absolutely devastated and sick about it.  It was just a horrible situation that I have to accept now.  He was 8.5 years old and I miss his little fluffy face.  He was the most beautiful creature, but something was definitely wrong.  I try to remember the good times, but I would like more answers...I grew up around cats, and never had a cat like this.