Cats Community
NEMO GOING TO THE VET TODAY

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

NEMO GOING TO THE VET TODAY

Nemo has always pee'd on a bed or belongings of a visitor for some reason, quite annoying, but I tell them to keep their bedroom door closed when here and we make out ok.
but lately he's pee'd around the house a few times, mainly on the rug by the front door, so I'm assuming to mark his territory.
HOWEVER Monday night he came to bed with me as always and proceeded to pee right beside me!! I freaked, I holler so loud he scattered.....
So I've treated everything to remove the urine scent and have kept him isolated for up to 24 hrs with a box and beads so I could take in a urine sample....little brat won't pee in the beads he pee'd on the floor.
So today he is going to see our Vet and he'll need to get the sample from him, I am worried about a UTI...if not this than it has to be a behavioral thing and gosh I hate to ever need to medicate a cat for that.
Has anyone else needed to do so?
I'm thinking buspar is the most common, he is already such a lethargic boy this will make him sleep 24/7.
any thoughts?
Tags: cats, uti
Hi Opus, try not to think about behavioral meds until after the vet.  It may just be a UTI which will clear up with anti-biotics.  Poor Nemo...poor You with the bed.  Have you tried one of those products they sell somewhere like Pet Smart to get the smell out?

Good luck and do let us know.  Pray it's nothing serious!!!

Nemo is the poor one with the itching problem, yes?
Hi Jade....no its Sami with the allergies. Nemo up till now has been the healthy one.
He has struvite crystals in his urine. NOT good as they can cause a blockage and keep reoccurring even if surgery is done to fix the immediate problem.
Prescription urinary diet is the treatment....trouble with that is very unique to Nemo.
I got him at 6 mos. he was on a form of kitten food that got discontinue......Jade it took me a whole 6 months to find another food he would eat!!! he lived on canned milk and cooked chicken. ONLY..this guy is like no cat I've ever seen or heard of (nor my Vet)...whatever food is introduced he sniffs and actually RUNS AWAY!! I'm not kidding either he runs....when he wouldn't eat I tried EVERYTHING the Vet/pet store and grocery store here had to offer. finally found one online....a grain free dry food called EVO. finally got him to eat, and he has been exclusively on the diet for the past 5.5 years.....this cat won't even eat a treat food....I mean nothing.
so how in the world am I going to get him to eat a prescription diet?..I just tried a small amount on a spoon, holding him gently I put a small dab into his mouth...he went bizerk...spit it back at me, I tried 3 times....honestly my glasses were smeared with the spit out food.
I don't know what to do, he will die if he can't flush these crystals out and keep them from reforming.
I'm really upset right now, have to do alot of reading and find out all I can.
Yes I did treat all the bedding with a product called 'urine erase'...he obviously did it because he is in pain. they can preform a penialotomy as a last resort but I think he said it wouldn't solve the problem becasue the crystals will keep forming and he'll keep soiling.
what do I do now??
Hi Opus,

Gosh I am so sorry you guys are going through this. I totally understand what you mean by 'Cat Rejecting New Food' ……….it is frustrating.

You know, April's cat, Misha, had a hard time with UTI issues. April finally found a food that worked and is still working, I believe. If she doesn't post on here or you can't contact her let me know. I'll give her a call. My poor friend is going through very challenging times and might not post on here for a while.

Well, let us take a look at the positive. You FOUND the problem!
Constraint: Nemo is not welcoming of change. He dislikes the idea of having new food put in his bowl. Opus, you might have already tried this but....have you mixed the old with the new? This is a cliché for us cat owners who understand how they 'roll'. But it doesn't hurt to ask either.  You are right. The cure  is food. Gosh, have you noticed how food alone can solve a lot of issues? We have to get him to eat this food. Hmm....try maybe mixing it up with something he likes: cooked chicken? Chicken broth? Fish flavored gravy? Then little by little put less and less of that and just feed him the prescription diet alone.

Please let us know how he is doing. I hope you find a way to get him to eat. Bless you both. We are here honey….
Oh shoot, Opus, I was really afraid it was going to be struvite crystals.  Gosh :(

Now, how to get him to eat the diet when he'll barely eats in the first place.  And it needs to be the wet food, huh.  PK has some great ideas.  Will he go for any of the broths PK mentioned?  I know you are stressed and want him to eat the rx diet immediatly, but try mixing the tiniest bit with the food he likes and see what happens like PK suggested.  I mean, what else to do?  That's what I would do.  

Honey, I know what you're going through.  In 08, I watched Jade going from place to place to pee, but couldn't.  Just over and over so rush her to the vet on Sun and vet thought she had struvite crystals.  Would not eat the prescription food, but a miraculous thing happened.  She seemed to pass them!  I think it might have happened due to manupulation of her bladder by the vet, I mean, just a guess, but they defininetly passed all by themselves with no diet change.  ER vet also mentioned surgery to remove the crystals.  I'm hoping with all the manipulation at the vet today, maybe he'll pass them.  I'm afraid I no nothing at all about male cats, though.  It may be an entirely different story.

So sorry to hear this!  I will keep thinking...♥

Oh thank you girls so much for the support and suggestions...can't mix even tiny bits of ANYTHING in Nemo's food...NOT EVEN WATER!! or tuna. or gravy..
I know how many if not most cats can be finicky.....but what this guy has is a complete aversion to food except his own and sometimes a piece of a chicken breast I have cooked BUT has to be cooked in olive oil and NO spices....my Vet gave me 3 different cans to try, tried one last night another this morning...this one is in a gravy I put it in front of him with a few sprinkles of his own dry food and he RAN from it, he is terrified of different smells..so I dabbed a small amount of the gravy on his lips thinking maybe he'll at least get the taste of it and be more willing to try later???
someone also mentioned a tranquilizer may help with his mental block about food...I will talk to our Vet today.
May also try flushing his bladder with subcutaneous fluids?...Jade from what I've read its pretty difficult for a male to pass these crystals because the opening is so much smaller....Vet also spoke of a penialectomoy to enlarge opening. will have to consider if I can afford these measures.....like he said if he won't eat the proper diet it'll just keep happening....dam
Wow...Nemo really is particular. Don't give up. You know he needs to eat that food, so that is more than enough reason to persuade him and get him to enjoy his new diet. Poor cat.....he is afraid of change. He really is particular.
Don't give up Opus. Keep trying to feed him. You know how patience is key to everything when it comes to cats, especially stubborn ones. Sometimes, when I'm really desperate, I’ll talk to them.....and even though they may turn their backs on me in the middle of my speech they seem to accept things better when I pet them, talk to them in a very sweet way, and play with them for reassurance. Sometimes it takes a lot of patience and hard work. But cats are smart and I trust that Nemo will be a good boy and eat the food.

I wish you good luck. Keep us posted. I will keep my fingers crossed so Nemo will finally eat his new food.
Well that makes sense, the opening being much smaller in a male cat.  Sounds like the next step would be to flush the bladder then hope the crystals don't build up again.  Can imagine how much the penialectomy would cost, but maybe not beyond your means.  I know we all don't mind going into a bit of debt for our babies.  

Now that he's had a taste of the food like you said, maybe he'll try later and it won't seem so frightening to him.  He sure does have some food issues, doesn't he.  A tranq just temporarily might be just the thing to help him relax and once he begins eating the food you could take him off it.  Opus, I feel for you, honey.  From the sounds of Nemo and PK's Abby, I sure have it easy.  

I know you'll keep up updated.  We're here for you, hon.  
Hi Opus,its me again - have just PM'd you, but forgot to mention that with Tiddie as well as the Cystaid tablet twice daily I also have to flush him through with 9 syringes of bottled water - I give him three 10ml syringes three times a day.  Our Vet told us that a Cat with Struvite crystals needs a LOT of water - it helps ease the pain of a type of Cystitis and helps to loosen any of the crystals which could have attached themselves to the inside of the bladder (such as they did with my Tiddie), which leads to him passing blood in his urine as they are sharp and tear the bladder lining.  Bottled water is better than water from the faucet because theres something more cleansing in it, but the Vet didn't go into detail.  Tiddie has been on daily medication and the syringes of water for almost 3 years now.  Vet reckons that 125mls of water per day would be good for a Cat with this condition so I reckon that the 90mls I give Tiddie and the bit he drinks himself then he's just about taking in the right fluid amount.  How good is Nemo at being handled and having his mouth opened ?  Not only that but zapping water in via a syringe perhaps ??  Some cats will take it and others won't.  I'm very very lucky in that Tiddie will allow me to do this for him - VERY lucky indeed according to the Vet.  He says a lot of cats would claw my eyes out!!
Keep us all updated..................... hope my little bit of input has been of some help to you and perhaps anyone else whose cat suffers in this way.  DiamondFox
Hello Opus, I feel for you and Nemo.  I have interstitial cystitis myself, so if it feels anything like that, Nemo must be miserable, and having to pee all the time is not fun.

You've been so kind and supportive of me and my trials and tribulations with Fluffy that I just had to stop in and say I'm wishing the best for you and Nemo.  

Kathy
Jade.....did you read Diamond's post??? I may join you now and say 'I think I have it easy myself' (and you know I am far from having it easy with Abby) That cat is taxing and you know that! But reading Tiddie’s story….oh My ...poor Tiddie :(

Diamond......God bless you.... 3 years????? That is what I call dedication!!!

Opus….how’s Nemo? Is Sami ok with his allergies?
Oh, and you know what? I’m going through UTI myself due to my pregnancy. So I know poor Nemo’s pain. I’ll start treatment. My doctor wants to give me antibiotics. Is that an option in cats?
PK...yes, just now read DF's post.  3yrs, oh my!...but we Would do that if we needed to wouldn't we.  Thank God we don't.  Oh honey, have had many UTI's myself and they are painful.  You must see your doctor for antibiotics.  Drink cranberry juice, too.  If UTI isn't treated, it could go up into your kidneys.

DF...excellent suggestion about the syringes of water!!  I meant to suggest that to Opus earlier, so glad you went ahead and did.  I'm so sorry to hear Tiddie has this continuous problem, but your experience will help Opus and that's what's so great about so many people coming together :)
Jade,
Yes hon don't you worry. I'm all over it! :) And yes it is painful..ouch! Cranberry juice? Didn't kow. Will buy ASAP! :)

Opus,
I'm pregnant...already anxious. And you are making me more anxious woman!! POST SOMETHING! You are killing me here lol....
Oh, and yes hon..we would do anything for our kitties. I don't see my life without Dillan or Abby. Abby's got 5 lives left lol....my poor pumpkin is so precious to me. He's been through hell!
By the way....I haven't seen white foam so it could have been a one time thing.

Now back to Opus and Nemo :)
hi everyone, sorry, I've been off reading for other options...seems like this is going to be a huge problem for him. did speak to my Vet again also, he seems to have different opinions that things I've read, so now I'm unsure what to do?
DF I did get your msg and thanks for that info. I did ask my Vet about medication to acidify the urine and he told me this medication can lead to other health problems(don't know if this in the one you use or even what is avail.)....I said what could be a worse health problem than possible death due to blockage, and he agreed that he should look into that further.
I am also trying to give Nemo water via syringe, so far starting slowly and he isn't fighting too badly...I think he could get used to. but there again my Vet says all that will do is dilute the urine and the crystals still need to be disolved by the diet!!
But you say its worked for Tiddy.....however Tiddy is on the special diet isnt he?? and I guess thats the difference...all those measures together can work BUT the OS diet is needed to disolve, the fluids to flush and the tablets to acidify and not one alone will work with the proper diet!
therefore by the way my Vet is hymin and hawin its almost as if Nemo is probably going to go into a blockage and 'I'll need to make a decision"
I have gone to this Vet for years, he helped me and Opus through 3 years of his heart disease and daily medications etc....he even came willingly at no extra cost to my house when it was time to put Opus down, but now I'm not just sure I agree with him....I want to talk to lots of others and do alot of reading.
But ONe thing I do know Nemo will NOT eat that or anyother food, however we are going to try Valium and see if this averison is anxiety related??? last hope on the food.
Oh it is so painful to see these little guys suffering and we humans don't know how to change things for them....he's my little buddy, he's been there for me since my Opus died and if he should go I'll never get another, I can't do this again. I pray that Sami stays clear, so far his allergies are clear...but I doubt for long.
None of us are beaten yet!!!
thanks all for the support, I'll post next week and let everyone know whats going on....
Sorry for your troubles with Nemo  :-( ...
Praying for you all and wishing the best possible to come.
Big hug and pats for the furry fella!
Opus,

I see how you would want a second opinion. I would seek it too. Have you posted on the expert forum?
Yes I did post on the expert forum on Friday...no replys yet tho.
hi is still refusing to eat the OS food, I have tried putting a dab on his chin hoping he'd lick and get the taste of it, he lets it dry there!! can you believe it?
I am giving him water by syringe and he accepts that ok.
Got him a presc. for Valium yesterday...just for 5 days, to help with the bladder spasms(pain) and also to help dilate his urethra and hopefully pass some of these crystals.....otherwise no change here.
Poor little guy he's only 6.5 way too young to have these problems, I've always had him on a very high rated diet...with no grains and low magnesium,  don't understand why this should be happening???
Hi Opus, just now noticed your post!  I am also VERY shocked that Nemo is going through this!  I've done some reading on Evo, and it's an awesome diet to put kitties on....great ingredients, and it takes a lot to impress me LOL!!  

I'm with you, and seriously don't understand how this happened to poor Nemo.  Really really suks!!  But, I have done some reading, as me and my family have dealt w/ crystals many times before, and that pee pee removal surgery has a very good chance of solving the crystal problems.  As picky as Nemo is, this might be your only option.  I would try anything and everything first, though.  

You BOTH will be in my prayers, and I will be brainstorming this to try and help ya come up w/ something!

Hugs and prayers!
Z
Good he's accepting the water, Opus.  At least that's something.  The valium is good too and should work.  I was given it myself a few yrs ago for this reason when I was having a hard time relaxing enough to go and it worked really well.