Cats Community
Need Pet advice "Cat"

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Need Pet advice "Cat"

We are expecting a baby and lately our cat has started to pee and poop on our couch. How can we discourage this and maybe clean the furniture? Would it be good to spray the couch with a water and vinegar solution to discourage her from going on the furniture? She has her own cat house and a carrier with blankets she likes going in so she does not have to go on the couch. Also what would be a good cleaner? Was looking at the "Bissell little green machine". We cannot have her doing this too much when the baby comes as it will not be healthy for baby and do not want to give her "cat" away as she is part of our family.

Also can our cat tell/sence that I'm almost due to give birth and that's why she is doing this?
Tags: Pets, cats, Baby
congrats to you:)
first of all you need to find out why the cat is doing this, its not b/c you are pregnant, there is a reason...I'll send you a site that list possible reasons...could well be a medical issue, how old is she? has she had a recent urinalysis to rule out a bladder infection or crystals??? this is very common esp wiht older kitties. usually they are trying to tell yu something is wrong/or it HURTS......
copy and paste the following site to answer many of your questions.....you can also read there abt the homemade recipe for cleaning soiled areas..don't know if this works, but I do know some commercial products do...such as Urine Erase, Frizzon On, Natures Miracle...buy from a good pet shop, they have to contain the enzyme that removes the scent from the cats perspective remember their noses are much more sensitive than ours, they can still detect scents that we cannot...and all traces have to be removed or the cat will continue to use this spot.
so you need to find out the CAUSE than remove scent from all areas the cat has used...good luck, please don't get rid of her...so many are given  up for this reason and it usually just takes some detective work to solve...yes she can sense your hormonal change:)

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/kitty-litter-box-problems.htm
meant to add, she can sense your hormonal change but thats NOT the reason she is doing this...theres another problem going on.
heres more reading..

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/06/16/tracking-down-the-cause-of-your-cats-bad-bathroom-habits.aspx
I'd like to back up what Opus wrote.

Changes like this in kitty's box habits is a sign that something else is going on.

Teia (our soon to be 14 year old rescue kitty) was peeing and pooping in the walk in closet where she'd taken up residence.  This was (we found) in reaction to one of our other kitties (Chessie) that Teia does not like using her litter pan.

Used the enzymatic cleaner (Urine Be Gone in this case) on both WIC carpet and litter box, put up a baby gate so Chessie can not invead Teia's space, no more problem.

So, please look for an underlying reason kitty has changed her habits.  A vet visit is in order, I agree.