Cats Community
Odd bumps on cat's tummy!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Odd bumps on cat's tummy!

I have an 18 year old female cat that does not go outside but does sit out on our screened in porch.  She came in one day, and there was this odd spiky long (longer than hers) hair sticking up between her rear leg and stomach.  The next day that was gone, and I noticed two small soft lumps (sort of together) in that area.  The next day, there were two perfectly round "things" about 3/4 inch across and rising about 1/4 inch or more up from her belly. The outside ring was pinkish, and the inside was yellow (pus maybe).  The pink and yellow were perfect circles!  This was covered with a thin skin.  Next day or so, one had burst and bled and then was totally gone.  Same with the second one.  Then she had two on the other side.  The top one popped and was gone.  The last one has stayed.  She licked it a lot, and it started looking like ground beef (this is still sticking up from her tummy about 1/4
inch up off skin.)  Does not look like ground beef now - just oval shaped pink.  The bottom part goes in so it looks like a pillow sitting on skin. Vet did not see her but put her on antibiotics which have only made it a bit smaller in size (or it did it on it's own),  A nurse friend thought it might be spider bites.  Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to describe it the best I could.  She acts no differently then she did before this - still somewhat active and eats very well.  Thanks for any responses!
geez that sounds nasty...I have no idea what this could possibly be. I will do some searching and see if there is a website that deals with bites, but I've never seen one of those either that I can recall.

Is there a way you could take a photo of this and download it on here?
I also suggest you re-post this question to our Medhelp Vet and see if he can come up with any thoughts for you...just click on this link below.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/new_with_new_subject?forum_id=112

I certainly hope you can find out what this is and get her some help before it leads to some other health issues not to mention what its doing to her skin...good luck and let us know if you find out ok
I'll try to get a picture on here.  Wish I had taken pictures of the first ones.  Her skin is fine - she's just licked some of the hair off her tummy while licking on that "thing."  She hasn't had anymore since the first ones.
I apologize for not getting on here - our power went out Monday (that's main excuse).  It seems the place is getting smaller, very slowly, but getting there.  I have pic, but I'm having trouble getting it downloaded to my computer.  Mostly now, I am just so very curious as to what this is or was.  Very strange.
I can't get the picture to download!  It does look smaller every day so I hope it's going away for good.  Thanks so much for your time and my apologies!!

Poor baby! It does sound like an infection--and yes, I'd bet it was a spider, hence what looked like a "hair" when she came in (may have been webbing). Thankfully, it sounds like she's healing herself, though slowly.  The antibiotics from the vet were surely helping...but they don't act quickly, they take a few days to kick in.  Be sure to run the FULL COURSE of them, though, until they are gone. And call the vet immediately if the wound is still there when you run out--you may need a second cycle of them.

You said she's acting the same...is she still willing to go back out onto the porch? Or avoiding the area because of the last experience out there?

Melissa
The "hair" was thicker than her fur but sticking straight up - didn't look weblike at all (unless there are some I'm not familar with).  There were several spikes of it.  We just haven't let her out on the porch just in case.  Need to give it a good cleaning soon!  I guess we could get more of the antibiotic, but she's been off of it for several days.  Like I said, it is looking smaller each day.  I just wish you could have seen the first "bites" - weirdest thing I've ever seen.  Thanks Melissa!
I was reading a magazine last night that said Green Tea is a natural antiseptic.  They said you could apply it to a cat's ears and other areas to clean them.  (Actually, it said it's a great way to cut down on yeast in the ears which runs dormant for cats in the warmer spring and summer months.)  If there are any areas there that you think are still "open" or "irritated" you might try putting a green tea bag in a glass of water until most of the tea is in the water, then using it as an anticeptic on that area.

Vibes!!!!
Hey thanks Melissa - I'll give that a try!  Never heard that before.
I'm back about my 18 year old cat Hanna.  Just a couple of days ago, she stopped eating as well as before.  Today, she hasn't eaten at all, and when she walks, one leg or two will "give".  She lays over the water bowl drinking some or just staying there.  She's gotten very thin.  I'm thinking cancer maybe but have no idea.  We're wondering if we should take her to vet to have her put to sleep.  The only thing is, this is so hard for us, because she is terrified riding in car and vets in general.  I just hate to think of her suffering right before she dies.  Or should we just let her die here?  Either way, she's going to suffer I guess.  Or is there any way it could be something fixable?  Tell us what to do please!  Thanks!
I'm sorry to be reading this abt your little Hanna, I guess you never did find out what was wrong initially with her. She does sound as if she is very ill right now, most cats get quite stressed by going to the Vet however you please can't just leave her like this....she is suffering. Better to have her suffer a few minutes of stress just before dying than to be just left alone and she could suffer like this for weeks..If you are totally against taking her in there are many clinic's where a Vet will actually come to the house and euthanize. My own Vet did this a few years ago when I had to put my Opus down.
All that being said this could still be something treatable, you will never know unless you get her examined and tests done, but at an old age of 18 it could be to late for that intervention....bless you, please help this dear little friend of your out of her pain. my heart goes out to you both♥
Weight loss and excessive thirst could be renal failure (kidney problems).  A CBC and urinalysis at the vet's office would tell you.  At her age, though, that is what I suspect--and if her legs are giving it's either signaling pain that area, or extreme weakness.

If you are considering ending her suffering and having her put down, you could call your vet and ask if they would come to your house and give the shot instead of you taking her in.  Or call other vets, or see if there is a mobile vet in your area.  Most major U.S. cities have them (I'm not sure if you're in the U.S.).

Vibes for your sweet girl.

Melissa
Thanks.  My sister and I decided to take her and have her put down yesterday.  She didn't get upset because she was alread to "out of it" to care.  They said that thing on her stomach was cancer although they didn't test it.  Not sure what kind of cancer that would be though.  It was barely attached to her skin.  We, especially my sister, are going through the grief.  He was HER cat or she was HIS person, but she never paid much attention to me, just her.  I just fed her.  :o)  Thanks for talking to me!  Bless you.
And thank you Melissa for responding.  I had thought about kidney failure too.  I had a 20 year old cat long ago that died from that, but she never got skinny like Hanna did.  I guess it can show differently though.  Guess it doesn't matter now.  I like to believe that heaven is exactly what you need to be happy.  So I see her in this home with my sister, feeling good, playing, young, and happy.  We had thought about calling the vet to see if he could come, but when she seemed so unresponsive, we figured she wouldn't even notice where she was, and that's what happened.  She had finally gotten where she couldn't even stand up.  Just lay by the bowl and turned over every once in a while.

Bless you too!

(Mistake on first message, I called her HE and HIS)  Geez.
I am so sorry for your loss.  Hugs!  ~Melissa
Thanks Melissa. ♥♥
I am so sorry too Sazie....RIP little Hanna :-(