This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Pica

Is it possible for a cat to have Pica? My kitty Zachary ate a barbie baby and 1/2 a barbie shoe today. He vomited what appears to be the torso with a leg. We are headed to the Vet shortly. My question is can a cat have a eating type disorder where they like to eat plastic. Last time he ate a bag of Easter grass. He loves to lick and naw on anything plastic including bottled water bottles-the lids. He has costed me quite a lot of money with x-rays and barium swallow tests-I hate to say that but we put stuff up and he literally claws at it in the toy box or whatever till he gets it! He also has a habit of eating photo's. Licking them and chewing on them. He ate a photo album a few years ago.
Ill ask the Vet but is he lacking something in his diet?
well I sure had never heard of PICA before so I did a search and yeah its quite possible this is what Zachary has indeed.....let us know what the Vet says..

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/unusual-cat-cravings
I never had this problem with my animals but FOR SURE cats have Pica and that its NOT rare...
I already heard and read about, some ate quite weird stuff...
Glad to know your is being able to expel the stuff
Didnt check the site Opus met but frim what I learned, Pica in cats is seldom associated to lack of nutrients
He definately has PICA according to the Vet. He had a barium swallow test done again (this is like #10 for him) this morning and then a flouroscopy where they guided a wire to pull out the rest of the barbie baby by the hair. He is home and feeling fine! We have once again cat "proofed" the house but he always seems to get into something. We are also to keep him on the luiqi-lax to ensure that whatever he may eat in the future will be able to pass. Thanks again! ~Bkitty
Just checked the site you provided above.For other cat questions
The slide show part its GREAT,I do recommend this
http://pets.webmd.com/ss/slideshow-things-you-learn-from-your-pet
for EVERYBODY!
thanks apple for that link....the photos are so dang cute and some real good common sense there for us all too....♥
Let me tell you about my cats. Especially my older one. Her favorite thing to eat is plastic bags. We lock them up, but when you have a young child with special needs who likes to make a mess, occasionally they end up out of the cupboard. She likes to eat floss and various other items too.

One day after Easter we put our daughter's Easter basket on top of the fridge where the cats usually never go. When we got back someone had knocked it off the fridge. They ate most of it and there was poop and puke all over our apartment. That was not fun to clean up. So yeah, cats can definitely have pica.