Cats Community
Recovering kitten will not eat/drink

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Recovering kitten will not eat/drink

Last Tuesday (Jan 29) we took our 9-month old kitten (Dexter) into our Vet because he was lifeless and was not eating or drinking and very weak. They sent us home with an antibiotic (clindamycin) while we waited for the blood work results. The blood came back fine but he was still showing no signs of improvement. They then took an x-ray which revealed a large mass above his liver. After much discussion (mostly financial) between my fiance and I we decided against getting the suggested ultrasound and to pursue this finding further. Since about Jan 31st we have been force-feeding him a/d Prescription Diet with some Tomlyn high calorie supplement which he takes pretty easily.

He has improved greatly. He is still slightly weak but he is almost back to his normal self. However, he still will not eat or drink. We have tried a variety of dry/wet foods and attempted canned chicken/tuna. He will occasionally lick his chops but he won't take anything himself. We are happy to continue to force-feed him but I don't know if we are doing something wrong or should try something else. I'm not sure if we should stop for a day to see how he then responds to food. Our only concern is that he gets really weak again. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions. Thank you!
sorry I'm so late with a reply its been a hectic day for me...and I'm also so sorry to hear the dx on your dear kitty..Dexter, how sad for such a youngster to be given a sentence such as that before he's even had a chance at life, thank goodness he has two such loving parents to care for him and help him thru all this.
I will send you a site that deals on nutrition, the reasoning being is this Vet has a page on there that talks abt how to coax a kitty to eat (mainly when transitioning from dry to canned...but same tricks should work)...she has some good pointers..just read thru. and like she states on one page DO NOT ever with hold food b/c of the organ failure that can and will start very shortly if kitty doesn't eat even for a short period of time..this is a unique condition for cats....
so keep up with the assist feed, and keep try some of the tricks mentioned to get him to eat on his own at the same time.
the trick of Parmesan cheese is what got one of mine eating cans when I finally got him off dry food(due to health reasons)....but if you do try the Parmesan use only a very tiny speckle....b/c it is very high in salt.

good luck and please keep us updated on little Dexter and how he is doing, we want to help all we can. or just listen...((>^.^<))

http://www.catinfo.org/docs/TipsForTransitioning1-14-11.pdf
I should have mentioned the tips on getting them eating is on page 6 or 7...so it may not look as though it will be helpful if you just start on page one....I tried to do a copy starting at the right page but it didn't copy out that way..:(..read on!!
Thank you for responding. We will definitely try some of the tips mentioned and keep you posted =)