Cats Community
Reese's leg

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Reese's leg

Reese's leg makes this crunching feeling when you touch/move it, the vet also said she felt that but said it was not broken bones. If not broken bones then what is it? And how long should I expect it to take to be better? I know with humans it can be around 6-8 wks....is it the same with animals?
Hi honey...gosh, this is still going on?  You said the vet 'felt it'.  Didn't she take an xray??  We can't begin to say how long something will take to get better if we don't know what we're dealing with in the first place.  I would like to think your vet would SOME kind of idea over what all us pet parents might be guessing at.  Right?  

If I had to 'guess', it sounds like either pulled tendons, or scar tissue crunching....
You must be very frustrated not getting any answers, and Reese must still be in pain.  How is he acting?
The vet I use doesn't really handle serious things...she has no x-ray machine or do tests. I would have had to go to another vet. She was confident though that she felt no broken bones so, I was trying to  trust her on that. I do believe her though cause Reese doesn't seem in pain when leg is touched...just uncomfortable.

I am not seeing any improvement but...8 weeks will be around the beginning of Feb. So, there is still time for healing.

I just didn't know what that crunchy feeling could be.....thanks for the input!!
He's becoming more stand-offish. Laying on my bed when he has NEVER EVER done that before. He always wants to be in the same room I am in. Yet, at the same time he is also more clingy, in the fact that he comes to me when I am on the computer and wants to be held. Climbs up on my shoulder when I am trying to eat...stuff like that.

I know I contradicted myself but, it is hard to explain....stand offish and clingy at the same time.

He is also not eating as much...he is eating enough that I don't think he will starve and the Dr was not worried when I told her that he wasn't.
All you've described has the earmarks of 'pain'.  I am especially concerned with his lack of appetite.  If he continues like this it could quickly become a serious situation.  And Reese might be lying on your bed because his leg hurts and it is soft.  If I were you, and if it's at all possible, I would get Reese to another vet for an xray at the very least.  Like ASAP.  Something is very wrong, honey.  
Well maybe the vet have misdiagnosed it, as you said: “she doesn’t handle serious things”, maybe it’s time to get a second opinion, if he’s not eating as usual, and doesn’t want his leg to be touched, then he's in pain (I don’t know how long Reese had leg pain, but I assume it’s taking long time to improve).  
Second opinion is my thought, too.
Good morning, AKC, and Happy New Year!  

Okay, I've been worried about Reese, so I went back in your posts.  First, I was wondering if he had had any shots lately.  Included in your Oct 3rd post was that Reese HAD recently received shots.  Oct 29th was the day you posted about him knocking down glass bowls from a top shelf.  Dec 1st was the day you noticed he was limping.  Dec 15, the second injury happened.  

Due to the fact Reese doesn't seem any better, there are 2 things I have in mind.  The first...and this in ONLY a guess...is this could be a VAS (vaccine associated sarcoma).  I hope not, and I doubt it, but it IS a possibility.  The 2nd concern I have, is one of those glass bowls actually fell on him, you just didn't see it.  So he may already of broken something...I could be just a hairline fracture that the vet couldn't feel...THEN, the 2nd injury happened making things worse.  

Honey, I think it is imperative you find a way to get a second opinion.  Are you overwhelmed?  Is it a matter of getting to or paying for another vet?  Can you ask for help from anyone?  If it's a matter of money there is a cc called Care Credit.  Not all vets will accept it, but many will.  It's worth looking into.  

What do you think?  And how is Reese today?  

Hugs to you, I know this is stressful.
Hi AKC_75

I vote for Jades post 2 hours ago. She has covered everything I would also do. So get that little man to a new VET or emergency clinic--ASAP; Care Credit is wonderful and will help with costs.

The fact that Reese is very clingy is a sure sign he is feeling bad. I mean this IS Reese we are talking about. He is usually running around getting onto shelves and having various objects fly around. This is too long for his leg . Something needs to be done now.

We are always here for you AKC, so please as soon as you know let us know, K?

CML
Thank y'all for your concern. Yes money is a major problem as I am disabled and on I very tight income.

I'm trying to figure something out.
I understand completely.  Vets are incredibly expensive.  Expensive because kitty cannot tell us how he/she feels, so it is all up to test results to weed out this or that.  An xray is about as conservative as you can go beyond a vet feeling the area.  Although we always tried to go as conservative as possible with Jade's care, we still ended up paying a small fortune and went into much debt with her many issues over the years.  

Meanwhile, it's important Reese eat as normally as possible in order to avoid liver failure.  He's not been eating his usual calories for way too long.  Try offering him some canned tuna to stimulate his appetite.  If that does the trick and he eats with enthusiasm, quickly put down his favorite food and hopefully he will continue eating a good meal.  Eating the tuna is okay too at a time like this, you just don't want him to live on it.  If the tuna doesn't work, try some baby food.  Chicken is good.  Make sure there is no sugar or other additives in it though.  I realize you said he is still eating, just not enough, so both the above suggestions should help while he, hopefully, is healing.  

Good luck, and please keep us updated.  You and Reese are now part of our 'family' here.  
Hi AKC,

I totally agree with Jade's assessment of  Vet Expenses

If I may suggest a few things?

You are in Texas, right?. Not sure where you live but I found several Veterinary Institutions/Schools that seem as if they could help answer some of your questions:

Vet Tech Institute of Houston
1-800-272-2736

Creekwood Veterinary Hospital in Freindswood, Tx.
1-281-482-1594

....and
www.educationnews.org/career-index/veterinary-schools-in-texas-544k

the website above list the many schools in your area --one may be close to you.

If getting there is a problem at least call and voice your concerns , see if they can direct you to a resolution. I think just speaking with one of these institutions will make you feel better about what direction to take with Reese.

Care Credit should be taken by these places.

I have read a little of your bio and , yes, life can be overwhelming sometimes. I admire you for your ability to deal with life as it is as well as the special difficulties you have experienced. Your strength is what will get you through this, and I feel you have an inordinate amount of that, AK.

Remember , we are always here for you. I am like you and do not use the word friend lightly. We would not be so presumptuous to assume you would look upon us as "friends".....but we are all have this "Loving Bond"
with our pets and that means we are ALL in this together and share your love, concern, and willingness to go to any length to keep our babies safe.

So in this way we are you PET Family, and will always be there for you , k?

Please check some of these places out and see if you can get some answers for you and Mr. Reese.

Sincerely,
CML