Rehmannia 8
My vet does not know about Chinese herbs. I have found out about Rehmannia 8 and ordered the human tablets (650mg per tablet). They are too big for a cat, but I have been sticking them in the wet food to dissolve. I ground one down to see how much granular matter one tablet is. It's just about 1/4 teaspoon. My cat has gotten down to six pounds from 9 because of hyperthyroid and crf. So I've been giving her a little over 1/8 of a teaspoon in her food, which she eats very happily. She has been on LRS fluids daily since February and finally stabilized three weeks into March. Is there a danger of getting too much Rehmannia 8? This bottle suggests a daily does for humans of at least six tablets.
Hi.  i just saw your posting as I too am looking for dosage info on this supplement.  Here's a link to a very informative forum on Rehmania 8.  Lots of questions answered here by a holistic vet http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Holistic-Care-For-Pets/treatment-for-renal-failure/show/1109490

Good luck!

EB
there is also another wevsite for info on 'hyperT' I don't know if it has anything on Chinese herbs tho.
www.avmi.net/newsfiles/hyperthyroidis...idism.html
There is always a danger with any medication whether synthetic, chemical, or herbal.  The difference is that herbs are not regulated, so no testing for safety or effectiveness is required.  Basically, you are using your cat as a guinea pig.  Any dosage could help, hurt, or simply do nothing.
I too started using Rhiamanna 8 for my 18 yr old CRF cat at the advice of a vet on this board.  I give only one pill a day, not sure if that's too much or too little.  I can say her blood work is all in the normal range.  I also give Azodyl, powdered b12 supplement, and renatropin (for humans a kidney support pill). I grind all the pills into a powder and mix it into two cans of food.

It's alot of pills but I've noticed less vomiting and again the lab values are all within the normal range.  She's had CRF for 3 years now.  Wish I started this regimen then..  My cat was starting to lose weight as well and I started feeding her (against my vets advice) whole ground mouse purchased on the internet.  I'd mix that into her canned food.  I kept feeding her the mouse protein until she regained all her lost weight, about 3 lbs.  She was getting that frail kind of thin, where you'd pet her and it was like she was going to tip over.  CRF cats don't get protein in the traditional diets and so the body will eat it's own muscles up over time leading to weight loss and frailty.  Feeding a clean protein like mouse is not as hard on the kidneys as that in pet foods.

You can search my posts to get my exact concoction of things that I do for my CRF baby.  She's going strong, living a normal life.

CRF cats can live years after diagnosis.  Most vets however do not recommend alternative meds like this..
read you account, however, many of these sites are from America, here in the UK you find most vets have little or no interest in owners views, so when folks  write consult your vet, well.. you will get nowhere. You mentioned ground mice? where do you scource such food. Read about Rehamannia (8?) is that obtainable in the UK, and the other items you mentioned. I have read also about nettleseed tinctures..anyone know where from in the UK, my cat was diagnosed with CRF today lost masses of weight, 2nd test now confirmed.CRF. I am prepared to pull out all the stops to help her improve as best she can. any experienced  advice on these matters apprreciated.

tabby 1

tabby 1