Cats Community
Savas..can you help?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Savas..can you help?

Hi Hun!

I read in your profile that you work with behavioral problems in cats. I was hoping maybe you could help with this one. I am such a lose.

I have a 9-1/2 year old female, a 2-1/2 year old female and a 1-1/2 year old female. I have 3 litter boxes and clean them daily, often twice a day. The older one and the youngest one don't care if the box is clean or not, they will ALWAYS use the box. The middle one (My husband says she has "middle kitty syndrome"), will only go "poopie" in the box on the day I change the litter. Which means I would have to change it everyday, which I do not do. It is completely changed twice a week, but that is not enough for her. She will pee in the box, but not poop.

I have tried "cat attract" litter (very expensive). I have tried spraying all sorts of deterents around the carpet near the litter box. Nothing works!!!!

Do you have any thoughts, suggestions, etc...

I would appreciate any feedback.

Big hugs...........
Tags: cats
Middle kitty syndrome, a diagnosable dysfunction in cats everywhere...:)

Seriously, it sounds like a territorial issue. These are always tough ones to deal with and the only way around it is to give a cat it's own personal box...UNLESS:

1: There's a product called "Nature's Miracle". You can get it at a pet store; it's the same formula they use to clean up after autopsies in the morgue. Cats have REALLY sensitive noses, and the best "human" cleaners won't get rid of the smell to the point that the cat won't smell it anymore. Clean the areas the cat has pooped on with this product thoroughly, it will give him a "fresh start". At this point, it could just be confusion in part (smells like a "make spot" out here to to me, says the kitty!!!)

2: If you aren't using clumping litter, DO. Something like the Tidy Cats multiple cats formula. It works much better, and saves you on money in the long run.

(Also, if you're using a covered litter box, you might want to stop. Some cats don't care for it. And, one box should be *big*. We made the mistake of getting three smaller boxes and had all kinds of problems. We went back to two really big, one small, and the cats all used the two big, ignored the small one the second someone used it. I'd guess that means they get what I call "Paw claustrophobia". The small box size makes them paranoid they'll step in something or poop on their feet. NOT a recognized theory, by the way! We try to make sure one box is the extra large size.)

But in the end run, if all that doesn't help, you just may have to cope with "middle kitty syndrome". The middle female may be reacting to a territorial issue from the other two (probably older one) in which they make it clear to "stay away from my stuff!". I've seen new cats get attracted over trying to enter a litter box, they can get pretty ornery about it. Usually people (us) aren't even aware of it happening.

Or, she may just be a little middle prima-dona!

Let me know how it goes. If all else fails, we can hook her up to a chair "Clockwork Orange" style and show her films on litter box etiquette...but she'll never be able to listen to Beethoven again!!!)
You are too sweet!

Everything you suggested..tried it, still doing it. So, I guess I have to live with "poopie pants".

Seriously, she has the "big" litter box all to herself. The other two only use the little ones and they are not really proud, but they do stay away from her. Also, it had a hood. Removed that a year ago.

What has really got me baffled is that she only "poops" in it, do you have any idea why only that? (I am afraid of the answer..LOL). I love her dearly and give her extra special attention so she does not feel left out. I have had her to the vet several tmes, all is well. I am really at such a loss. BTW..this has been going on before the baby came in the house. Isn't that odd??? Granted, the older one is the "queen" and let's that be known. But still, the middle kittie didn't have this problem at first. It is something that she developed.

Strange little furry things, aren't they.

Thank you so much for your help. See you.

Hugs.......
We had a cat once that out of all the other cats in the room, picked out one particular cat and started *stalking it*. It would come up to it quietly while it was sleeping, and settle down and *stare at it* malevolently until it woke up, realized what was going on, and would start crying and screaming.
Poor thing used to pee itself it got so scared and worked up.

NOTHING we could do would make the "stalker cat" stop. It did it relentlessly, and all this other poor cat wanted was to be left alone. Sometimes this mean fellow would wait on a high place for an hour till the other one passed by and do a "Death from above..."

Both were the sweetest cats otherwise, never caused any other problem. Finally we had to give the harassing cat away.

I guess I'm saying that cats, like people, can be crazy and strange as well. :)

...perhaps you should try cutting off it's allowance, telling her she's grounded, no seeing the boys until she shapes up???
Heh heh...let me know if you come up with a solution, becuase it sounds like you've run into "stubborn cat syndrome"...which simply means it's going to do what it's going to do! Makes you wish it was a dog, doesn't it???
LOL..LOL (Gotta have a sense of humor if you live with these furry little things).

Thanks so much for all your help. I will keep you posted.

Big 'ol hugs........