Cats Community
Scabs on my cat

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Scabs on my cat

I have taken out cat to several vets and they cannot diagnosis the scabs on her. Her coat is beautiful, she eats well and shows no other signs of discomfort. We just cannot get rid of these scabs. She allows me to groom her and take them off. Would an antibiotic cream help? She wlll not take medication.
Antibiotics are for bacterial infections.  Scabs are a stage of healing in wounds that inhibit infections.  Pulling off the scabs prolongs their healing and increases the risk of infection.  If the vets have ruled out allergies, bacterial or fungal infection, and parasitic bites, then they are wounds.  Let the current ones heal and find the source of any new ones.  She could be rubbing herself against something that is abrading her skin.  
Have any of the Vets done a microscopic view of these scabs or a scrapping?
Can you describe the scab and the area its found on?  ie: face/tail/chin...

Has any Vet talked to you about EGC(eosinophilic granuloma complex)....you can do a search on this site and it will give you lots of info you can research to see if this LOOKS like kitty's problems.
Nancy is correct antibiotics are not the answer, nor is pulling out these scabs...this is not only painful but non effective.

♥Opus
here is a site that will give you more insight into skin conditions/allergies etc.

BTW to answer the question on your first post, NO don't use any creams or medications....for sure NOT until you know what you are trying to treat....creams will only keep the area moist and perhaps worsen the problem.

http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/Atopy.html
Thank you everyone for your answers. I read the animal pet doctor page. It is very extensive!

She may be stressed. She crawled in my lap last night and I noticed the scabbing has spread around her eyes, nose. Prior to this the scabs were mainly around her ears and neck. I also noticed scabbing around her tail.

She does not have any fleas. I changed her diet years ago because we thought she was sensitive to fish. She eats expensive Ca Natural kibble and a T of wet food a day.

We have had her for 9 years prior to then she was a feral cat. I wonder if because as a kitten she did not receive proper nutrition that she is more suseptable to allergies? When we first adopted her she had no fur it was greasy and had no fluff. Now she has a beautiful coat. She is a Calico.

I will check out all the possibilities. I am underemployed so don't have a lot of money for tests etc.
hi, I am glad you are doing a ton of reading....it will take along time to read thru all the material out there on this topic.
what you describe is a classic case of eosinophilic glanuloma complex....my Sami has this also...
the cat DOESN'T necessarily have fleas....all it takes is ONE bite from sometime in their history than they develop an allergy and thus allergic responses.
If the diet is 'chicken' based food, thats the first thing you need to change, chicken for some reason can give allergic responses....I can send you a list of foods that kitty should be on if you like.
and please stop the kibble, there are so many preservatives and chemicals in dry food, not to mention the MITES that grow while in storage.....and could be a great part of the problem.
I will send you another site to read over.

www.dermvetvegas.com/allergies_treatments.html
Thanks for posting your info. Would like to know more  about diet change. Her food is chicken based. Would love to see your list.

I do not buy a kibble that has preservatives or chemicals. It is only preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid. I bought it because the people at the store said it is one of the best for allergies. It is made by Natura.

I looked at the link and the animals. She does not have any loss of hair, her fur is thick, shiny and beautiful. But when you feel around her ears, neck and tail area she has scabs. I don't take the scabs off so she bleeds. When they are ready to fall off they are crusty and there is no bare skin exposed afterwards.
hi again.....I know the food brand you are talking about well, its Evo by Innova/Natura right??
This IS an excellent diet!! and EVO is one of the very best. But find one without chicken. I've feed the dry version of this for years. but had to switch to the one without chicken.
AND one in CANS not kibble.....
In doing all the research with Sami's and Nemo's problems I have since found out all the evils of kibble, even EVO
read.
www.catinfo.org

I feed EVO canned vension. to Sami...he reluctantly eats it, I usually need to mix 50/50 with a store bought enticer such as fish.(cat foods) BUT I DON'T RECOMMEND FISH its just that Sami HAD to get OFF of chicken and its taken a long time for him to accept anything else.

I warn you NONE of these diets are very palatable by cats...in fact most cats refuse b/c they are pretty bland...never starve kitty into accepting, try mixing 25% to the diet he is eating now and slowly make the transition..

Vets will strongly recommend a Hypoallergenic diet and they sell the brands Royal Canin and Hills...there are better ones on the market at good pet stores.
EVO-vension
Wellness
Natural Balance

as long as its no grain(preferably) and HAS to be something with NO chicken or chicken base.
such as venison, lamb, rabbit, duck(although one Vet told me nothing that has feathers so that would also rule out duck)
fish as a last resort.

Sami has been off of chicken for a year now, and it has made a huge difference to his EGC scabs...when he gets a small breakout(seldom) I dab some Colliodial Silver to the sore 2x a day and it clears within 2-3 days...than it maybe months before he will get another, where b4 he was constantly breaking out.

good luck.
♥Opus