Cats Community
Senior cat who lost weight

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Senior cat who lost weight

Hi everyone. I took my cat Misha to the vet today because she had a weepy eye. She gets this a couple of times a year. I don't know if it's allergies or what. They're not entirely sure what it is either but gave me a cream.
Well, while there they weighed her and she's 8.5 pounds. She's lost a pound and a half within the last year. I knew she'd lost some weight but she acts fine and seems to be eating fine. She usually meows at me in the evenings to be fed. I know she lays around a lot so she's not real active anymore, but I figured that's to be expected being a senior kitty. She's 12 years old. She also has always been a little overweight so I didn't worry too much when I noticed her losing a little weight. Is a pound and a half a lot to lose in one year?
The vet said to keep an eye on it and if she loses any more or starts drinking a lot and not eating to bring her back in so they can test her thyroid or test for diabetes. Should I be worried? Or is it normal for an older cat to lose some weight?
Hi, sorry to hear about Misha's weight loss!  =[  I know you must be worried!!  To be honest, I do think that 1.5 lbs is a lot of weight for a cat to lose.  I would go ahead and get her checked for diabetes, thyroid disease, and kidney disease.  All of those conditions will cause weight loss.  Did they do any blood work when you took her in?  That would rule out any kidney probs.

April,

Abby loses half a pound every two months hahahaha, then he gains like 2 more the next day.  While losing 1.5 lbs over the course of one year isn't a bad thing, you do want to check her appetite and meal intake. You know, the type of food you provide must meet her needs, her specific needs, and she must eat at least once a day. If the girl is and behaves like a normal senior kitty then don't worry. But it is good that you're keeping us in the loop here.

P.S - Ask her if she secretly wants to be America's Next Top Model. THAT might explain her weight loss :)

All the best for you and your animals, my friend. Keep up the good work. I'm sure Misha is as healthy as a horse!!
Why does Abby gain and lose weight like that? Just wondering.

Well, the vet was a little concerned about the weight loss but told me to keep an eye on it if she loses anymore and how she's eating and drinking, etc.

I wasn't just trying to keep you all in the loop. I was just wondering what everyone thought and whether I should go ahead and get her tested for diabetes and her thyroid or wait and watch her for awhile. I think that's probably what I'm going to do at this point.
If I were you, I would have my cat tested for Diabetes and Thyroid if she's lost weight with no explanation.  Plus, due to her age, it's just a good idea.  

Jade's weight fluctuates too.  She eats a lot more in Winter than she does in Summer and it's normal for her to gain and lose, but if wieght loss isn't normal for your kitty, then definitely have her tested.  

Good luck, April!
April,

I think Jade answered your question to me. Besides, Abby gets plenty of exercise with Dillan. When he doesn't run around like a maniac trying to bite Dillan, he gains a few pounds. He has periods when it is a constant horsing around in the house, so obviously he tends to lose a little. Every time I take him to the vet it is a different number. They just laugh because they know Dillan keeps him busy like that. His weight fluctuates, but it isn't something I'm concerned about at this point. Abby has been tested (blood and fecal) twice (He isn't even 2 years old) And really, the weight thing is pretty common, at least in my house........not just with the cats hahaha...

I have not heard that Diabetes causes weight fluctuation or (minimal) weight loss over a period of one year. I wouldn't be worried about that. But if you want to get her tested I will not discourage you. I think I would do the same thing, just to be sure.

P.S - Don't be surprised if she keeps losing weight as she gets older.  I've had cats losing over 4 lbs over one year but that was just due to old age. No matter how rich the food was, or how much they would eat, they would lose weight like that because of their advanced age. Weight loss isn't always a sing of illness, especially 1.5 lbs in one year. But being proactive and get her tested is a great idea...no doubt about that.

Just saying....
Diabetes does cause weight loss, and I'd get her checked for it.  Here is the link to diabetes in cats with the symptoms in the 2nd paragraph.  PK, I seriously hope you don't think that I make things up as I go!  If I'm not sure of something, then I don't post it.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/diabetes.html
Yeah, I heard that. It makes sense. It's just like humans who get diabetes, I guess. Some of the first signs are excess drinking, urinating and losing weight (I think it's rather rapid weight loss, not sure). The vet did say to watch if she's drinking a lot or if the litter box seems more full.
I will keep an eye on her. I'm going to watch her for awhile to see if she's drinking more, etc. I think I'm going to have to get pet insurance, though. Does anyone know of a good one?
Thanks for the website, ZQ. Don't worry, I don't think PK was addressing you. I mentioned the weight loss and how the vet said it could be a sign of diabetes or thyroid in my original post. I'm sure that's what she was commenting on.
I will go look at the website now. :-)
April,
Exactly. Diabetes (at least what I've heard and seen) causes rapid weight loss, among other things your mentioned. 1.5 pounds in one year isn't rapid weight loss. I'd say it is rather normal. But, taking her to get tested for it is always a good thing. Again, I'd do the same thing.

April, my comments were addressing yours all the time. I never said diabetes didn't cause weight loss. If something isn't clear, it is better to go back and re-read.

But, better safe than sorry. I'd say she is as healthy as a horse. Who's with me? lol
Well, I'm sitting here watching her eat. Her eye is worse. I'm really ticked off because this was a new vet who wanted to try a new eye cream. She's always taken this other one that has the steroid as well as the antibiotic in it. Well, this one only has the antibiotic. She said if it got worse in the next three days to bring her back and we can go back to the other ointment. So, I have to go back and spend another 20 something dollars on a new tube of ointment that she's always had before and did well on in the past?! I shouldn't have let her talk me into trying something new. I should have stuck with what I knew worked before. I'm so ready to find another vet! I thought that since they knew her background it would be better to take her there but I swear they always have a new vet there anymore anyways! I don't even know them anymore. I feel like they care more about money anyway. I've been feeling that way for awhile. I just didn't want to start over with an older cat since they had her records over the last several years. I can't believe I spent $20 bucks on a tube of cream that's 2 inches long and isn't even working!
As you can see, I'm not a happy camper tonight. :-(