Cats Community
Sick Friend

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Sick Friend

Hi, I live in Cisco, Texas and this town is overrun with cats. I have talked with animal control regarding this over population and according to him he is not even allowed to capture them due to an ordinance protecting cats in this area. I have seen many sick animals all over this town and it is purely heart wrenching to see. I try to at least feed the ones around my house so they will at least not starve but never the less I still lose three or four cats a year. I have seen them fine one day and the next day I will find them laying on my porch dead. Its all very sad.
My reason for this post is I have one now that has been here since it was a kitten and is about five years old. I noticed her on tthe porch the other day and her breathing was really rapid. She was not gasping or anything but short quick breaths. I brought her in amnd gave her some meaty can food to eat and some milk hoping that it woyld make her feel a little better. I have let her stay in for a few days thinking maybe some rest with extra attention would make her feel better. She is way to skinny and her ears are laying down which is not normal. I am on a fixed income and if I take her to the vet I will not be able to feed the other cats for at least a couple months. Does any one have any idea what is wrong with my friend? She is getting worse, not better. I really dont think she is going to make it.
Hi, bless yr caring heart......it is very sad to watch, so many unwanted an ill little souls out there.
There cld b many things wrong, wth a street cat the illnesses are endless and I'm afraid to say without some expensive tests there's really no way to know....and yes the tests and treatments can run up a big bill which is very unfortunate.
Is there a shelter that wld take her an get her some help? Can you do some phoning an see?
Otherwise I don't know wht to say other than keep her in please, so at least her last days on this cruel earth she will be fed an feel loved an out of harms way......
I can't even imagine seeing so many cats(or dogs) suffering like that.  It upsets me enough just seeing one suffering animal every now and then, but everyday.........

I think Opus gave you some great suggestions.  Most definitely call around to your local humane society, ASPCA, or some rescue organizations.

Please, keep us posted.