Cats Community
Side effect of distemper booster shot????

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Midnight was a stray at our house and my daughter "adopted" him. She took him to the vet to get fixed and his first shots. We found out he is FIV positive. He did go from the vet to a foster home for a week until she moved into her new apartment, so we did not see how he reacted to the shots he had gotten from his first visit at the vets. We took him back to the vet (a different one) 1 1/2 days ago to get a check up and a booster shot. Now he is not acting well at all. He is not eating. He is barely walking and when he does he limps and walks very gingerly. He is in pain. It is obvious by his meowing. Is this normal? Should we be concerned? Is there something we can do to ease the pain?

Thanks!!!
Our cat just developed similar symptoms following her yearly vaccines. Had to have her back to vet who thinks she had a reaction to vaccines. More than likely happened this year since she's had kidney and age related health issues and her immune system is weakened. Since your daughter's cat is FIV positive, he could be experiencing the same thing. If you haven't already, and he's not improved any, get him to the vet. Our cat was put on meds to help with the reaction and address the lack of eating and drinking. She's making a slow, but noticeable improvement. Good luck!
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the advice!!! He is slowly improving. He is now able to eat and is not in such a noticeable pain. He's even wanting to play a little. She is still planning on calling the vet on Monday and talk to him about all this and to have this put in Midnight's records of how he reacted to the vaccine.
yes please phone the vet on Monday and let them know abt this and also get some pain meds if he's not better.
I had one cat a few years ago that reacted to vaccines...only for her it was bloody diarrhea. So my vet only vaccinated her every 2 years thereafter and also used one that was easier to tolerate(yes they do have a choice what to use)
good luck....
and bless you both for adopting midnight he needed someone to care!
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
15 mins ago
KTowne We got a puppy today.. we a... Comment
44 mins ago
stilltrying1965 commented on photo