Cats Community
Small cyst on 16 year old cat's paw... help!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

I have a nearly 17 year old, overweight cat. Aside from some elderly issues such as arthritis, he's a happy guy. He has a strong will to live, and has always fought to beat the odds. I love him so much and have had him since I was 8 years old.

It's impossible (I mean, impossible) for me to take him in to be examined by a vet. He gets so stressed out, he has panic attacks - even while heavily sedated. I am certain he would have a heart attack at his age now. Even those who work at the vet office have never seen an animal act as he does. Which is why he has not been seen by a vet since he was 9, when he had pancreatitis. By the grace of God, he recovered and has been doing well since… since I found a small growth on his paw a few months ago. Who knew something the size of a pea could be so terrifying? It's pinkish in color, doesn't hurt, is soft, but is slowly growing. It's on the bottom of his paw, which is what worries me the most... how big will it get, will it interfere with his ability to walk, etc.? I am a basket case. I am his mama and I am supposed to be able to fix this. But I can’t. Taking him to the vet is just is NOT an option. If the car ride didn't take him, the examination would -- and if by some miracle he survived both of those - sedation and a surgical procedure would do him in. He’s happy now, and I don’t want to cut that short. I feel so helpless, there’s nothing I can do but watch this thing grow.

My worst fear is that his quality of life will be taken… most pet mama’s would have to consider ending their suffering. If, God forbid, that time comes - I don’t want him to go out scared, stressed, and in an unfamiliar place. And even if I found someone who would do it at home (which is nearly impossible in my area, as I’ve had a similar experience with a dog a few years ago), I know he would still be panicked. I just want what is best of him, it’s all I want. I used to think the worst thing that could happen would be losing my baby - but what is worse is how you lose them. I just want him to be at peace every day until his last.

Any advice, or simply words of encouragement from anyone who has been through this are much appreciated. And prayers for my Biff are welcomed too.

Thank you.
Ashley I sympathize with the situation you now find yourself in. I too had a little one about the same age who was terrified of Vets and clinics, but it was due to many trips and treatments he was exposed to and just 'had enough' so when the time did come my Vet came to our home....but as you wrote even this wouldn't be a option for care.

We aren't Vets on this site, you can post on the expert forum and get advice from dr. Cheng

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Animal-Health---General/show/112?camp=msc

IMO when you mentioned that it is growing quickly makes it appear to be invasive. I will send you another link that I found that may help with some answers(not the ones you wanted and I'm sorry, I do hope this isn't the case)

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/cancer/c_ct_squamous_cell_carcinoma_digit

If its not possible to pursue treatment than you will need to work with a Vet that will help provide you some advice and pain control at home.....this will give him a good quality of life for as long as possible no matter what the cyst/tumor is. I would post to dr. Cheng and see what she recommends to start with.,,
Please come back as often as you can and update us, we will also try to help as much as possible....good luck and ((hugs)) to you both..♥