Cats Community
Sudden Aggressive Behavior

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Sudden Aggressive Behavior

I recently (Feb. 2011) had to have one of my cats (Pretty) put to sleep due to congestive heart failure.  I already had three other cats, and adopted another cat (Baby Girl) shortly after that.  My oldest cat (Bubba, almost 8 yrs. old, male) who was litter mates with the one I had to put to sleep, has suddenly become very aggressive towards another cat (Daisy, 6 yrs. old, female).  I adopted her about three years after the first two.  Daisy was previously the "leader", or whatever it's called, of the whole house.  Could the loss of the first cat (Pretty) be causing this behavior?  I have read several articles that indicate it could be pain that's causing this, but I just had them all in for their 6 month check-up and the vet said all is well.

Also, what can I do to stop this behavior?  Daisy has asthma, and it is really taking a toll on her health.

Thank you!
Deanna
hi...and welcome to you and your kitties..
IMO the aggression isn't caused by the loss of a litter mate no, its common to get depression and lethargy over a loss but I've never heard of aggressive..
I would tend to agree with the possibility of it being pain related...6 months is a while since the check up and I would suggest another now....specifically have a urinalysis done, being Bubba is a male cat he is very susceptible to crystals in his bladder....especially IF on dry cat food, these can be very painful. also get a CBC just to see if theres another cause. Its good to get this nipped in the bud if something medically is wrong.
good luck to Bubba and the others. please post again anytime and with updates too...-)
hello,

Female cat, fixed, all of a sudden major aggressive behavior.  Flying across the room to bite and scratch a person.  this has happened now 4 time in the past 6 weeks.  Normally this cat has been a baby, without any problems.  There is no predicting this behaviour..just all of a sudden she turns "wild"...what is it?? I am worried.. has anybody else had this problem
hi and welcome, I'm not sure how to help you with this situation, I will direct you to a site that MAY be of some help in answering your questions...I wish you luck in finding an answer.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/aggression3.html
Domestic cats are pack animals and generally have a pecking order among them.  If one leave the pack, there can be a period of reshuffling of this pecking order and a challenge for a new pack leader.