Cats Community
Ten yr old Cornish Rex cat with urgent urination problem.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Our 10-year old Cornish Rex cat who has never had any urinary or other problems has now started showing what looks like urgent urniation.  She drinks plenty of water and eats Flint River Ranch light dry food for older cats. However, after she urinates (what looks like a decent stream), she gets back into the litter box several times within minutes acting like she still wants to urinate, but she's already emptied.  We thought she had a blockage when it first appeared a few weeks ago and took her to the vet who prescribed antibiotics. We completed the regimen, but she continued with the frequent visits to the litter box, but now, I guess because of all the antibiotics, has developed loose bowels - but only one or two times a day. The vet wants to subject her to a ton of tests that look like very traumatic for the cat, and unfortunately, we really cannot afford.  Is there anything we can do to help her at this point? Oh, she hasn't lost any significant amount of weight. And her appetite is still good.
Are you sure it is a urination issue rather than straining to poop?  I noticed similar behavior in my cat a couple of years ago and it turned out it was a poo issue.  Since you have noticed a consistency change could it be related to that?  Also if you have a veterinary school nearby sometimes you can get your cat treated much more cheaply there.  
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your insight.  
Did your vet run a full blood screen? I was wondering if kitty might have or be starting to have feline diabetes. Especially if kitty is an overweight cat, ten years is about when you have to start worrying about "older cat" issues, such as the above, hyper thyroidism, etc...
try montmorillonite edible clay living clay just half a tea spoon in water give it to cat with plastic spoon mix in plastic or ceramic " no stainless "
just plastic jar shake it and give it will get rid of many bacteria in cats system and get pup problem fixed and lose stools...too. I use homeopathic stomach ache for tommy of kitty and it works wonders with mine. She loves the clay. ONe day she got sick she had diarrhea and felt bad after the clay she was playing and acting pain free. it is amazing. Unfortuanatly people do not know that cats like people get sick.  giving cat electrolyte water " smart water " is a good idea since diarrhea makes electrolytes go out of body. I give baby food to my cat of chicken beef or veal Beach nut and gerber she likes Beach nut jars of chicken and beef.....and I do too..:) she likes pollo loco leg and  that is what your cat needs loving little effort check to see if clay from litter did not get into his pee hole or anus and is stock. I had to trim hear around butt and often clean it with a cotton and use it infused in half water and half " listerine...when she leaks it her mouth gets disinfected too. :) but clay water works wonders to clean but area too clay is good to clean cats teeth its millions of years old with nutrients both humans and animals need. My daughter got sick eating bad food she had saved for too long and was feverish crampy and headache after one full glass of clay with a teaspoon or two of clay it absorved all the E coli and bacteria the cramps stoped within half hour my cats lose stools stoped too immediately with this miracle clay....really amazing. hope it helps. I buy the montmorillonite eddible peoples clay at the Erewon health food stor two pounds for 35 doolars it works for me with food poisoning ihave gotten ill from eating salads at a restaurant and the vomiting and head ache and stomach cramps never have a change to develop and harm my kidney. Amazing to have in home for de worming animals addeed needed minerals and for people to make body alkaline try a spoon nightly shake in jar let stand and in morning drink it first time in morning half an hour later you have a vowel movement and it really cleans out color I took it for a month it was so fantastic poop did not smell like anything after that cleansing therapy I even use it to do colon cleansing it is amazing ionic negative ions glue to bad possitive bacteria and e coli and other gastric parasitic and bacterial infections of people cats and doogs even birds love clay.
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Shannon79, and KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Shannon79 commented on veronica0808's status