Cats Community
Three week old kitten has severe concussion. Will he ever get better?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

My three week old kitten was accidentally stepped on. He went limp immediately and I thought he was dead. I waited about 15 minutes and saw that he was still breathing. I rushed him to the nearest animal hospital. I got him there within 45 minutes of being hurt. He was completely limp and couldn't move at all. The vet told me to leave him there for a few hours and then call to see how he was doing. When I called they said that he had a severe concussion. He spent the night at the hospital and the next day I was able to take him home. This is day three of his injury. I've been feeding him a special food the vet gave me that is high in calories every two to three hours in a dropper. He is unable to lift his head but has shown a little improvement. I have to stimulate him to go to the bathroom as well. He cannot walk or open his eyes fully. I don't not think he can see at all. He can hear me though and will meow when I come into the room. I was told to keep him warm so I've been keeping warm water bottles around him. He just lays there and meows occasionally. I was given steroids for him to take once a day. I'm so worried about this little guy. I've done everything I can possibly do. Is there any chance of him surviving. I don't care if he becomes a special needs cat. I just want some hope that its possibly for him to live a happy life. He has not improved very much but he has improved some. He can turn his lead a little bit more today and is always eager to eat when its time. Any advice will be helpful.
hi dear, I am so sorry to hear about the poor dear little kitten and his injury. I am so proud of you for trying all you can to care for him.....this will take a lot of time and patience but I do believe recovery is possible, and I'm sure your Vet did too or he wouldn't have sent him home....but it won't be quick and it won't be without alot of concessions.
How much are you giving every 2-3hrs?....around the clock?
this is a good sign kitty is hungry....are you also giving extra fluids or is the food very liquidy?
Be sure those water bottles aren't too warm....just tepid, a kitten can overheat easily.
I will send you a link to some posts made in Sept by a kitten that suffered similar fate and was blind but recovered his sight and most of his mobility...we were all so happy for him...
Please keep us updated and post again anytime if we can help at all.....bless you both.♥

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/blindness-due-to-blow-or-injury/show/1338047?personal_page_id=1770406#post_6129317
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Corriel commented on cjtmn's status
Corriel commented on cjtmn's status