Cats Community
WHY do cats like the smell of bleach??

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

WHY do cats like the smell of bleach??

Apple, I think it was you and Margy that mentioned this awhile back....anyway just found this write up and thought you'd find it interesting....

http://jennifercopley.suite101.com/why-many-cats-love-shoes-socks-chlorine-valerian-and-catnip-a282287#ixzz1m86iRtMF
Tags: cats
  • Smelly house (9 replies):
    My dog is a shepherd mix, 6 years old. She has an odor....[more]
Yes, it was my post, I will read asap..
Lets save the adress....
Thanks!
My Eiva likes "White King" very very much. She rolls on that. Don't leave the laundry.
The only thing I have to be concerned with is that Akira likes freshly laundered clothes like any self-respecting cat, because the clothes sill retain some of the heat for a little while.  I say this with confidence since I don't use chlorine at all since it causes me serious health threats.  I use those oxygen cleaners if necessary.

A couple of weeks ago, Akira did something very funny regarding this laundry thing.  I use one of those fold up wire carts for shopping and laundry.  Well, I had washed her blanket from her basket.  I had just brought the laundry out of the dryers back to the apartment and had sat down in front of the computer to take a mini break before folding and putting the clean laundry away.  Akira was in the other end of the apartment and asleep.  She obviously smelled the clean clothes.  If I can smell the difference with hot clothes from the dryer, I know she can, since cats have a keener sense of smell than we do.  I don't use dryer sheets or chemical fabric softeners of any sort because they're not needed and the stuff bothers my allergies, so the difference in the smell is all simply from the heat of the dryer.

I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye (peripheral).  It was near where I had left the cart with the laundry in it. Akira was standing up and trying to figure out how to reach up there and pull her blanket down off the top of the cart.  So, I helped her, because I knew what she wanted and it was hers after all.  "Do you want your blankie?"  I placed it back into her basket and she hopped right in and curled up.  Since she likes to make a nest with her blankets I do her a favor and don't fold them up.  She was so happy that she was purring the happy kind of purr.