Warning new flea treatment possible carcinogen
the EPA is giving warnings about a new flea treatment for dogs and cats that can possibly be a carcinogen very important to read.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/07/14/are-you-exposed-to-this-carcinogen-when-you-pet-your-dog.aspx
ohh thank you opus I have had some trouble with her being uncomfortable with the one the vet uses, frontline I think its called , I will avoid this one .....which would you guys recommend ?
Hey Margy, it's not Frontline but a new product.  I copied the first part of the page for you.  Frontline is fine and what we use on Jade.  ALL these flea products can possibly have some negative effect and if Tweety was only *uncomfortable* I wouldn't worry about it.  You could try Advantage or Revolution to see if Tweety fairs better on either of those.  

Here's what Opus' link says, but it's only the beginning and would be great if you could read the article.
^
"This summer, U.S. veterinarians will begin prescribing a brand new spot-on flea and tick preventive from Novartis Animal Health.

The product for dogs is called Parastar and the cat product is EasySpot. The active ingredient in these products is fipronil, an adult flea insecticide."

I loved that article from Mercola.  I am a subscriber myself, too.  One of the benefits of having an indoor only kitty is being able to avoid the flea nuisance all together.  I do think our little sun worshippers do have a biological need to be outside in the sun, so I'm really grateful for useful articles like these that protect both us and our pets.  And, I do have a top floor balcony that I can allow the cat out on, so long as I supervise her.
I agree his articles are great info....my kitties are mostly indoor, Nemo will walk around the fenced backyard with me when I'm out and he's timid enough not to try jumping the fence, Sami is a different story he HAS to be on a leash and harness and I just don't tether him to a tree, he walks with me or sits on the deck.
They both have a large screened window right beside a huge tree, they spend most of their time 'bird watching'    
Neither of them have had fleas thank goodness.
Its great that your kitty can get out on the balcony for that fresh air and sunshine, thats so good for them....

CATch ya later...lol
thanks for the heads up opus.  Diego is on Revolution every 3 wks.  My pest guy said the flea problem is awful here...wouldnt matter if Diego stayed inside all the time..fleas can easily get in a ground floor apt with doors that are not tight.

Yeah, I can see how that would be the case with a ground floor apartment.  Have you tried treating the inside with diatomaceous earth?  I agree that where you're located that it likely wouldn't get rid of the problem entirely, since there are new ones able to get in again, but it is at least a non-toxic helper.  I'm sure if you apply it carefully, especially to the hidden places where the cats can't get to but the fleas can, that this would at least bring their numbers down.  The stuff works by desicating the little vampires in all three cycles.  It is non-toxic, but you don't want to get it in eyes or lungs of either yourself or your furry companions.  So, do be careful with it.  Use a dust mask and be cautious about letting it fly in the air too much when applying it.  I'm sure if it's applied under cushions and in crevices of the furniture and under places, such as appliances--places kitty won't breathe the stuff in, you can at least control the numbers of these little vampires.