Wondering
Hi everyone,,I was wondering something. I have a healthy sized black kitty about 16yrs old. Lately he has been going to the basement door and stands there and howls so loud he sounds like he is in pain. I let him down in the basement he goes down there and howls/meows more. This goes on all day and night long. Its a low deep sounding meow. He is eating good,,going to the bathroom regulary and playful with his brothers. What is wrong with him?
hi bkitty and welcome. its pretty hard to tell what maybe going on but in my experience when a kitty howls like you mention its due to pain, and when its a male especially I would really think it has to do with crystals and his urinary tract....FLUTD is very common especially in males.most common if they are fed a dry diet,.. if you've ever had a urinary tract infection you'll understand how much pain he is in.....crystals form in the bladder and eventually block off the urinary tract and the bladder will burst. he needs to have a urinalysis done asap.
please help him, somethings not right......♥
Thank You so much,,he is going to the vet tomm. We changed the litter boxes last night and he ran in there,,,I think he fuses when they get too full. The crying subsides after they are changed. He will poop on the floor if they are too full as well. But to error on the safe side he will get checked out. He has been quiet since last evening,,I palpated his abdomen and didnt feel a full bladder. He also didnt howl or anything when I did that. We shall see tomm-Thanks again!~Bkitty
good for you.....if he is holding his urine in and pooping outside the box those are very classic signs of crystals...b/c it hurts they will tend to hold it or go outside the box (even for pooping) b/c he is associating pain with the litter box use....glad your getting him checked out. also please feed wet food and not dry esp with males....the dry food is so dehydrating they can never compensate by drinking enough water to keep these crystals flushed out of their bladders.
good luck....
Oh Gosh my poor baby must be in pain,,he poops outside the box all the time esp when they are full and need to be changed. Tomm cant come soon enough. I feed him a mixture of dry and wet food,,he eats dry during the day and 1/2 can wet in the evenings. Im anxious for tomm...my poor baby boy. I thought he was just being picky. I also thought it was from old age as well.
I just called the vet on his cell,,,I feel terrible that he is in pain. His appoint is bumped to first thing in the am. I beside myself,,my poor baby is in pain. i shoulda had him checked out when he started that. Lesson learned!
Hi Bkitty.  Try not to panic until you see your vet tomorrow.  You're a good mama to your boy to be so attentive and concerned.  We'll be waiting for your update and hoping for the best!!!  

Hugs to you - try to stay calm.
Thank You! He is tucked in and snuggled next to me for the night. He usually sleeps the night with me. Hoping he will tonight as well. Its hard not to be anxious but if it gets worse tonight im calling that vet on his cell..he is so nice. He would come in if he had to.
I'm just going to echo Jade, it reads like you care very much for your senior boy, good luck with the vet visit. =)
hon you do realize this info is all just my opinion I am not a Vet, no need to panic, it was my recommendation to take kitty in for an urinalysis asap and thats just what you are doing....good for you, but as long as kitty is still passing urine it is NOT an emergency situation.....so remain calm, if crystals do prove to be the problem its very treatable.
I just want to mention that it is very important that litter boxes be scooped out at least once a day and I'm sure you are doing that....no kitties like using a full box.
please update us after the visit, and I hope she is given a clean bill of health..♥
He is still at the vet,,they wanted to keep him. They are doing a full blood panel and the UA,,just waiting for him to pee now. Ill update you as soon as I hear anything. You guys have been great. Thank You soo very much~Bkitty
Picked beener up from the vet,,, all his blood work is normal he didn't pee for them but his bladder is soft but a lil tender. Will be on amoxi drops for 5days and back to special food. He is inn good spirits. They said he was too fat though.
sorry but this makes me insane.....they can express his urine they DON'T **** have to wait for a cat to pee....and to give an antibiotic when they don't *** even know if there is an infection or not..that is just wrong. There can be crystals present without necessarily having a UTI.
be sure to feed him the wet diet and offer lots of water and hopefully if this was the problem they will flush out, since the Vet clinic was of no help in determining IF he had crystals or not????

sorry I just get very upset with clinic's that do this sort of thing....anyway glad the blood work was good..
One of my older girls had a UTI (with crystals) when we lived in Ohio back in the early 90's, the vet recommended adding a little cider vinegar to our kitties' water...just a couple of tablespoons in each quart.  The idea he had is turn the water a tiny bit acidic.

Hopefully Beener will get several more good years with you.
I have that vets cell phone # and believe me Ill call anytime if he gets in trouble. I dont care what time it is. We stopped and got some wet food at Petco. He is not in distress-said the amoxi drops will take about 3 days to kick in but he should be better by day 5? He seemed more worried about the blood work because of his age. Im supposed to check his bladder several times a day but its hard cuz he is soo fat. He is home eating good and playful.
But Bkitty, see, just like humans, you don't want your kitty on antibiotics if it's not necessary, otherwise, a resistance is built up.  I had to take Jade in a few months ago suspecting a UTI.  Her bladder was expressed, but had to wait over the weekend for results.  Meanwhile, I'm given Clavamox and told to begin right away.  I did Not, I waited and guess what...Jade did Not have a bladder infection or anything else wrong so starting her on that antib when there was nothing wrong - we would of had to use up the medicine, just like humans do and for what...for nothing.  Stress her - stress us.  

The antib's are given right away as both a precaution, but also to appease the owner - like you're doing something *good* for kitty when in fact, all you're doing is building up her resistance to antib's unnecessarily.  Do you see?  If I were you, I would wait for a diagnosis.  We just want what's best for kitty, is all.  
*his resistance.  sorry :)
Im taking him back to the vet this morning,,he was howling all night. He is in pain.
good for you and be SURE they do get a urine sample this time, than IF he does have a UTI the antib is warranted...if its  crystals alone than an antib is useless. like Pip said it could be both but best to know for sure what you are dealing with.
Pip also made a suggestion about apple cider vinegar...I've read that before too...perhaps just a few drops in his drinking water..however it smells strong so start with a very few drops, wouldn't want to turn kitty off from drinking, drinking lots is so very important for urinary tract health..
good luck at the Vets...keep us posted.
Poor baby he is in pain...-(
You and Beener will be in my thoughts and prayers.  Don't let this vet off without EXPRESSING some urine and getting it tested.  Anxiously awaiting your update, Bkitty.  Could be something else altogether, too.
He is doing much better had a UTI for sure,,will remain on the amoxi drops and they added some prednisone for inflammation in the bladder. They said he may howl for another day or so till the medication catches up with the infection. He is home and ate good-wet food and I mixed extra water in it to keep him hydrated. He is passing urine but I will need to be very vigilant and keep track this weekend. Whats a good brand of wet food to feed him? Iams,,science diet...all I had today was friskies. I did but some dry food as the other kitties munch on it all day. I got the urinary track formula kind-purina one. They didnt have the Iams one. My other kitty,zachary, will only eat wet food since he was hospitalized in Feb after eating a bag of blue easter grass (which he still occsionally throws up to this day) ~So getting the boys on a diet is gonna be challenging. I have 5 kitties. Thank God I have a savings account for them! I dont have kids yet so they are my babies and spoiled rotten and overfed. Thank you guys for all your support and guidance,,glad I have this forum to come to now. I always have something going on with the boyz! LOL
well now you KNOW its a UTI..and antib's are warranted good for you for making sure...does he have crystals present as well????

ANY canned food is better than the dry...esp for males who are prone to urinary tract problems b/c the dry is so dehydrated and they don't drink enough water to compensate.

Iams or purina one doesn't matter, one is no better than the other, science diet isn't any better either despite costing alot more...
If you want to feed 'grain free' with NO by-products these are the best brands but are expensive too. I will send you a link if you want to try them.
but as long as your kitty is eating canned food, he is much better off no matter the brand.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Pets/GOOD-BRANDS-OF-COMMERCIAL-CAT-FOOD/show/1200?cid=2

poor kitty no wonder he was howling, he must be in a terrible amount of pain....sending him some ((((hugs)))) to hurry and get well, you are a good mommy♥
Beener is still going to the basement door and howling,,I let him downstairs then he goes to the back door and howls there and scratches at it. Im wondering if he wants to go outside? I do know when we open the front door he always tries to escape. He's eating good,,going to the bathroom good,,he sleeps a lot but thats normal for him,,,,I just dont know. He is on day 4 of the amoxi drops and I have been giving him extra water,,when I palpate his bladder he doesnt cry. Im shaking my head here....
On, poor baby.  So frustrating trying to figure out what our babies are trying to tell us, isn't it.  You mentioned Beener tends to go outside the box when it's full.  I wonder if, in his old age, he REALLY wants a clean box?  Or, could be a little dementia going on?  Let me ask you, how many boxes do you have for 5cats?  Possibly another is in order?  

Usually antib's are given for 10days.  You're only on the 4th, so maybe just a little more time is needed for the med to work.  That's great you're giving the extra water!  

Keep us updated, Honey.  We'll see if anyone else has a new idea about this.  

Hugs - I know you're going through a lot right now.  
*Oh...
Catalina (our cat) knocks on my sister's door when she's hungry.  She also has knocked at me door while playing when I'm not in there, I think because she'd like to go in there.  I think your cat very well may want to go outside.  Catalina is very noisy when downstairs playing with a toy mouse or ball, she will pick one up and make racket, meowing loudly.  She loves to try to escape into the garage so she can explore (though she is not supposed to go out there with all the dirt and spiders).   Can you put him on a leash and let him go outside (we've done this with Catalina some times)?  I hope there is just something attracting your cat to go out, whether it be exploring, a lurking mouse outdoors or something else that has captured his interest outside (hopefully nothing that is frightening him inside the house which he is trying to escape from).

I hesitate to mention this, and I hope this is not the case with your beloved pet, but I wonder if it might be like a story our neighbor told us about a dog he dearly loved, I believe he said he had raised since it was a pup.  It ran off and though he searched a long time for it, he never could find it,.  He believes some pets desire to go off to be alone to die and that's what his dog did.  I think he may have said he thought the dog wished to spare him the pain of seeing it, because of love for him.  
Our cat Butters will holler if his pan is too full, but his behavior sounds nothing like what you're describing as i read your posts. He just refuses to use a used pan, particularly if he's already pooped in it-he even has his very own pan in a private location. (we have 3 cats-the other 2 don't mind sharing or using a slightly used pan. I do stay on top of it for them, if i happen by and see a clump or poop in the pan i clean it for them immediately.
I hope all is well w/your guy-it breaks your heart to not understand just what's wrong and fix it for them! Thinking good thoughts for you both!!
Im off to buy him his very own litter box that I will put in the basement,,we have 6 already. Im hoping this helps some,,I think he is being fussy and he also wants to go out (or as I say -go to vegas for awhile). Ill let you know. ~Thanks Bkitty
Well so much for the personal litter box ***shake my head***