Cats Community
Won't eat or drink, very lethargic

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Won't eat or drink, very lethargic

We adopted a stray cat last October and believe that she had survived outside for at least a year prior to her adoption.  Having lived as a feral cat she goes stir crazy if she is kept inside the house for too long and we give her the freedom to choose how long and how often she goes outside.  We live in an area with lots of fields and farms and she often spends the entire night hunting and eating her prey. There have been two times now that she has come home feeling ill.  She won't eat or drink and becomes progressively more lethargic and unsteady on her feet.  The first time she came home this way she vomited a few times as well.  I took her into the vet, he gave her an antibiotic and subcutaneous fluids and after a couple of days she was feeling better.  About two days ago she returned home not acting quite right, but seemed okay.  She has gradually quit eating and drinking, doesn't want to get up and walks very slowly and unsteadily when she does.  Also, the third eyelid on her right eye is raised part-way up.  I hate seeing her in this condition, but I don't know what to do to prevent it.  I'm afraid she'd be a very unhappy kitty if we were to always keep her inside.  She has had her vaccinations and regular medical care, but I'm wondering if there is something else I could be doing to prevent this?  What do I do?

P.S.  The vet believes she is no older than 3-4 years old.
it looks like the only way to stop her from getting sick is to keep her inside.  which as you say would drive her nuts.  what you can try to do is see if she is willing to be leashed trained.  if she is willing to do that then you can take her outside on a leash and she can get the exercise and fresh air that she wants but at the same time you can make sure that she doesnt get into anything she should not be getting into