Cats Community
can kittens drink human breast milk

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

can kittens drink human breast milk

My husband found a kitten.  it looks like it is too young to be away from its mother, it is very tiny,  I fed it some whole cows milk ( which I also don't know if it is good for it but it seemed to help).  I am wondering if I expressed some of my own breast milk if it would be better for it or if, because I am obviously the wrong species, it would do more harm than good.  it seemed to get some strength back with the cows milk but it is really weak.  it couldn't even meow at first.
Call a vet.  They have special milk that can be fed to kittens through a bottle.  I wouldn't think that human milk would be suitable.  It needs the right enzymes for its species with a very sensitive new digestive system.  I am not sure, but I think a place like Petco may also have something for a newborn kitten...Best to you and God bless.
I agree with Suzi-q we raise hundreds of abondon kittens here with what we call adoptive parents from 1 week upwards and they must have a special small animal formula that is readily available at your local vets or pet store. Most important is to keep them warm and feed every 4 hours. best of luck.
Hi thank God first that your  husband brought the little babe home. KMS is the ideal kitten formula for newborns and young kittens, MOst petstores and of course the vets, and perhaps even vets offices would have the kitten formula. There are also many cat rescue groups and animal sheters that also have kitten and puppy formulas.

Where did your husband find the kitten? Was it out all by itself, or in an area where the mom could have left it as if moving it? Does the kitten have it's eyes and or ears open yet?JThe older the kitten the better chance it has of surviving with human help. The most important factor in keeping a baby of a week or mayby two alive is that the very young kitten can not regulate it's own body temperture and can become chilled very quickly. They depend on their mothers body for warmth and the rest of the litter to keep curled up with. You can put the baby in a box with a warm hot water bottle under a towl, or a good alternative is a sock filled with rice or split peas, etc, put into the microwave for a couple of minutes and put it under the kitten with a towel to make sure it can not get burned as very young kittens can not crawl away and could get too hot. Make sure it stays out of drafts as well, and as the last person said, it is very important to feed small amuonts about every four hrs. Dont' forget to rub the anal region with a damp or wet washcloth to stimulate the kitten to void or poop. This is something their mom would do and they can not do it themselves, it HAS TO BE DONE AFTER THEY EAT OR THEY WILL GET SICK. It is very easy to do.There are lots of online sources that can give you more advice on what to do with a newborn or young kitten as well . You may want to have your local vet check the kitten out to see if it is healthy as well, but if you keep it warm, feed it KMS on a regular schedule and wipe after it eats, you will probably have no problems. Good luck .                                  Fluffypurrcat