cat litter tips
does anyone have tips for controlling the odor? I invested in an expensive litter box with a filter on it for the smells (and a top with a swinging door) that my cat LOVES...and I bought the expensive arm and hammer odor control cat litter....and it doesn't smell BAD it just SMELLS. is this just something I'm going to have to get used it? when we had a cat before I was able to put the litter box away from the family area so I never noticed the smell, but now the litter box has to go behind the reclining chair in the living room unless I want to put it in our freezing back room (not going to do that). I clean the box twice a day it's just the smell of the LITTER I don't like, not the urine and feces....that you can barely smell at all.

does anyone have any tips on how to mask the smell? I won't use perfumes (plug-ings, sprays, etc) in my house because I have birds and small children and I don't like using chemicals like that around them....so it would have to be something less intrusive on the nose. I read someone saying that just plain baking soda helps, but it seems like it would get on 'Suki's feet and that stuff is pretty acidic...so does anyone have any tips that WON'T tingle my kitty's toes?

thanks for any help :-)
oh ya this can be a problem, not only do us humans not like the odor of some of these litters but cats don't either!
I wouldn't use pure baking soda no, its too powdery and not good to inhale so much.

I recently tried a natural corn litter and that one was one of the worst!! the pine smell was over powering....dont know why it should smell like pine, to me it HAS to be chemicals. my cats hated it too.

I did read online from some other cat people that theres a litter that PRESIDENTS CHOICE sells.....Loblaws or Real Canadian Superstore (here in Canada). its a 'green' litter, (as in natural not color).
I just bought a bag. its a GREEN COLOR BAG and has the word GREEN PC on the front....it too is made of corn however, it doesn't appear to have the chemicals that some of the other ones do, this one has a pleasant smell and it DOES help alot with odor too.

hope that helps...♥
Thank you so much! I'll look for that this weekend! :-)
I used to use the Arm and Hammer litter until i was told about Fresh Step and i love that stuff.  Snickers doesnt seem to get near the litter in his feet either with this.           sara
Arm And Hammer works great.  It's corn based, which is good.....BUT, this litter smells weird.  I wish they'd make it w/out that nasty smell.

Ashelen, why don't you try The World's Best Cat Litter?  It REALLY is the best.  It's corn based and smells like corn and that's it.  It's safe for people and cats.  It's even safe for kitties to eat and doesn't harm them.  The only negative is that it is a bit pricey, which I can't do right now.  

Your solution is to keep experimenting w/brands until you and kitty find the one that works best!  =)  Go check out the other cat litter post and you'll find some more information about other good, safe litters.
I use unscented plain old store brand litter.  I've tried others and haven't liked them and neither have my cats.  We all think the smell of the litter itself is nasty.  That corn and pine stuff is particularly nasty IMO.  Once it gets went it just become a mushy nasty mess.  I am using 2 covered (but not filtered) litter boxes with store brand clumping clay litter for 4 cats.  I scoop them daily and completely clean them weekly and never have a problem.  
when my cat was a kitten we used "catsan" it had no smell

now i use wood cat litter and dont find a prob and it's an open tray