Cats Community
cat scratch 6 days ago , rabies chance

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

cat scratch 6 days ago , rabies chance

Even gotten help from some good people in medhelp , I still don't know WHERE I should EXACTLY post this question to and how to face , when to end up .
  6 days ago , about 6:00 pm I saw a wild cat near my office , I play with her and feed something , it seems gently and mew to me , then I hug it and walk for about 30 seconds and try to bring it to my office , once inside the door she is go nervous and scratched me . There were 3 wounds and some blood . SO
  1. I wash the wound immediatly  , but only use water , several seconds .
  2. After washing , I rubbing alcohol on my woounds .
  3. Go to the hospital , the doctor simply clean the wound , rubbing iodine tincture 2.5 hours later , and get 2 rabies vaccine and a tetanus vacine after a skin test  3.5 hours later .
  4. Before I was scratched , at least in 2 minutes , I'm sure the cat didn't lick her claw .
  5. Today's noon I saw it again ( it pregnant or have a little fat abdomen , that I'm sure it's the same cat in our company yard ) . it walk in sunshine , seems very normal , not far away there is a car passed away and she didn't showed panic .

There is no ANIMAL CONTROL here and I'm not sure whether I can see it again .
  What the rabies chance ?
  What should I do during and after the shots ?
  When I can be sure it's OK ?
There is NO chance of rabies since you went straight to the hospital and got the shots.  From the sound of behavior of this kitty, I am sure you have nothing to worry about.  You are suffering from anxiety and repetitive thoughts, nothing more.  

I wish you peace of mind...

I wish you peace of mind...
Jade is right, you wont get rabies, cat is fine and so does you.
If I had gone to a public hospital here in my country in a situation like yours, they probably would say " Go home and have a nice day" without any  shots :-)
Thanks , Jade .
These days I was totally in panic , because my skin broken and bleed , but the Dr only provide vaccine , no immune globulin .
I read a lot , but really need a wise voice to help .
Is that true there is no case caused only by scratch reported for decades in USA ?
Only in the slaver of the animal ALREADY in the period of disease , there is infectious virus ?
If the claw is dry , there is no risk ?
Sorry for the many questions , today I just get my second shot (2 in 0 day , 1 in 7th day , and 1 in 21st day) , I'm nervous for how long will the vaccine work and for afraid make a mistake that saw another cat yesterday .
Anyhow , I will try my best to be peace , and thank you very much !
Thanks  AppleBr .
To be frankly , sometimes  I feel terrible and angry for the hospital system in my country . and also the propaganda. where are you come from ?
When you see " my situation " , do you mean just be scratched by a cat seems normal ? there is no bite and I was scratched by rear claws and the front ones are in my hand .
I am a little worry about the cat I saw yesterday is not the same one scratched me , do you think is that still safe ?
I have only heard of a cat transmitting rabies by bite, and that was one time in all of my adult life, one incident.  Please calm yourself.  All you might have gotten was something like Cat Scratch Fever, and that was if you had not been seen by a doctor.  But I have been scratched thousands of times by my cats and never have gotten anything.
Thanks , Sir .
I'm trying my best to calm down . I'm a little worried because that was a WILD cat and I don't know where it is now . And I maybe read too much wrong information from the internet .
I feel better now as I read the " rabies and animal bite investigation " of Kansas city health department , 2005 .
page 41:
and, theoretically, scratches by rabid animals. Cases of rabies after scratches, abrasions, or the licking of open wounds are extremely rare, if they even occur. In fact, no person in the US has been reported to have contracted rabies in this manner in at least the last 75 years .
I guess that an official organization in the USA , is that correct ?
http://www.kcmo.org/idc/groups/health/documents/health/008438.pdf
And , again , thank you very much , I do feel much better now .
I'm in Shanghai , China , I'm not sure is that a report from an official org in the US .
Im Brazilian. Just in case you think you are the only one with no trustful public service...
I really believe they did more than they usually do - just because you was soooo worried.
Thanks , man .
I have already finished my 4 shots of vaccinum  5 days ago . I think I'm fine , and feel much better now .
In answer to your question, yes, the Kansas City Health Department is an official organization in the United States.  If they say no person in the U.S. has gotten rabies from a scratch from a cat in the last 75 years, I am sure that is correct.  The public-health reporting system in the U.S. is designed to get health-related information out to other public-health agencies for the purposes of heading off something that would be a bigger problem if unknown or unnoticed.  So as you can see, there would be no motive for them to put out false information about the transmission of rabies; the motive would be to get it out there accurately.
Thanks , Sir .
It's just at that time I was so worried .
Of course an official organization will provide correct information , just I'm not American , and don't know whether that's a really official one .
As that really rare and I finished my shots now , I feel much better .
Again , thanks !