Cats Community
cat unable to walk

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

cat unable to walk

Would appreciate any advice as vet has advised us to put him down!!
Is your cat unable to walk because of paralysis? Is it all four legs or just hundquarters? I'd need a little more information before I could say...but i'll tell you we've had cats with disabilities (blind, paralyzed rear legs) who led very happy lives.
They dont know why he cant walk but yes only back legs and appears to be more weak in his feet than his legs,has lost weight also. Still eating,grooming and purring. The vet did suggest a spinal tumour which i know would be a poor outcome but dont feel ready to put him down.
Hi I have a cat that I found Dec 24 and he was pulling himself with his front paws.I called the vet and took him there and the vet told me that it was from 3 pucture wounds from something that got ahold of him.(There was no blood or cuts on him that I seen but the xray showed this).BUT he will be fine after the steroid treatment and rest hopefully.He also eats and purrs and does'nt seem to be in pain.The vet is taking care of him but I could of brought him home but dont have the money till the 4th of jan.This is'nt my cat but I love animals and could'nt see it just dragging its self along outside like that.The vet did say something about a blood clot but that was'nt the case, so wish me luck and I also believe that if I was you I would'nt give up just yet either.Praying for your pet to have a full recovey.By the way the vet said the cat just needs to rest and stay in a area to himself till he heals and also the steroid pills for 10 days.Take care
lillybob, it could be a couple if things.  Feline diabetes has posterior weakness as a symptom.

But the weight loss could suggest renal failure as well (especially if the weakness is more prevalent in one leg).

It doesn't sound like stroke but spinal tumour is possible (any x rays?). Perhaps you should get a second opinion, especially if this isn't an animal hospital but a vet's office. Vet's tend to be more like the old fashion "Horse doctors" that treated a whole area, animals , people and all.

Redut1, that's a great diagnosis. I'm assuming inflammation of some sort set in causing difficulty in using the hindquarters? Hopefully the treatment will work. Let us know how it goes!
Thanks for your suggestions. We are going to monitor him for another week i think and then make a decision. It seems to be just his back feet now they literally just fold underneath him. Has put a bit of weight back on and the only other symptom which i dont think i mentioned was hes loosing his hair not in clumps it just seems to be falling out??? He did have xrays done which didnt show anything and also tests for diabetes which were also negative. would appreciate any more suggestions. lillybob
Hi again,
          Is this a indoor cat all the time?The reason I ask is because if he outside and you bring him in the hair will shed some.  When my indoor dog sheds I always feel like its alot but my vet tells me its not so who am I .lol...  Also is your cat in any pain? If so I myself would have the vet give me something to at least help the discomfort.Still praying for your pet.
                                                                                           Redscut (Sylvia)
Yes the vet did say that from the puntcure wounds, that an infection had cause him to stop using his hind legs.Thank you very much for asking.Hes doing better as of today but still trying to find a good home for him as I said in the other post this was a cat that I found in my yard and I live in the country so the poor thing prob. was hurt by a hunting dog or a fox.I have indoor animals so I cant bring him in.but I wont give up on him either.  Take care and Happy New Year everyone
                                                                                    Sylvia  (redscut)
I am suprised your vet has not suggested feline leukemia. All the symptoms you mentioned are signs of feline leukemia.
Hope all goes well
Just to keep you updated as everyone has been very kind. We decided not to have him put down. He remains happy in himself still eating, grooming, purring and has put weight on! Still cant use his back legs properly and just drags the left one behind him. Though while hes still happy the situation continues .............
I have a male cat that was born w/o ankles.  So his feet are curled up around also.  My vet advised us to put him down when he was 4 weeks old, saying he'd NEVER have a happy life.  Well, I can't give up on an animal, so we've kept him indoors and had him fixed but not declawed.  He is now 1 1/2 and has a WONDERFUL.  He even goes up & down the stairs & they are wood.  He goes in/out of the litter box, and is happy & healthy.  Thank God for people that don't give up!  If in the future you want him to have more mobility (my cat hasn't needed it yet) they do make prostetics that strap around and the cat can wheel his behind around.
The left leg that he drags behind him has gone hard around the ankle joint??? Any suggestions what this mite be? He continues to walk on his tip toes on right leg. Both front legs are fine!!
it could be infected