Cats Community
cat with grade 3 heart mumur

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

cat with grade 3 heart mumur

my cat loki has a heart murmur that is grade 3.  he's had it for about a year now.  he is 6 1/2 years old with no other issues other than needing to lose a pound or two (he weighs about 14lbs).  i don't want to pay for an echo because he's health and happy and i won't make him undergo surgery or pills for the rest of his life, but i was wondering if there is anything i can do to prevent it from getting worse.  food i should try or vitamins or whatnot....
hi, I treat my cats holistically whenever possible and I follow a great book and site for info. I will printout what I read from my book on heart murmurs ok...this is a quote:

heart murmurs are abnormal extra sounds that are of long duration.a murmur occurs when there is turbulence to the normal flow of blood to the chambers of the heart and is usually due to problems in a heart valve.A Vet can hear a squishing sound that confirms blood is leaking out of a valve during contraction.
*murmurs are graded from 1 - 6 based on LOUDNESS. and loudness does NOT always mean heart damage.
the best determinant of whats going on is a color doppler echocardiography.
*when older pets have a murmur its, the incomplete valve closure is often due to bacterial deposits on the valves. A very common source of ths bacteria is DENTAL DISEASE, so its important to keep kitty's teeth and gums in good condition. A murmur can also be caused by severe anemia.

Avoid commercial foods ESPECIALLY DRY FOOD..because these tend to be very salty. If at all possible prepare a homemade diet.

I will also give you a list of necessary supplements for all cats with heart problems beginning with the most important which is TAURINE.....if you do intent to buy and use for your kitty I can also send you the list that is recommended  safe for cat use and where to order from. they aren't expensive and I use most for my own.

TAURINE 500-1000mg daily
CoQ10 30-60mg
L-Carnitine 250mg
Fish body Oil...salmon, sardine or Krill Oil 500mg
a good multivitamin/mineral supplement.

this condition is treatable, I wish I knew all this before I lost one of mine to this 5 yrs ago.....♥
10356 commented on photo
10356 commented on photo
Shannon79, mhv, jugglin, and KTowne commented on Belle313's status