Cats Community
cats dilated eyes

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

cats dilated eyes

Hi...I noticed recently my 14 year old female siamese mix eyes seem large and dilated..i shined a light into her eyes and they did not dilate smaller...she is acting normal in diet and movements..but her eyes are dilated wide open...any suggestions on the cause of this condition and what i should ask when i take her to the vet...thank you
hi and welcome to our cat forum.
I've been searching for some help for you this a.m. and so far haven't found alot of info.
IMO dilated pupils usually indicate some sort of head trauma, but also found a site that does say it could also be 'hypertension'...or high blood pressure.
you can do some reading on this following site. also follow the links on left hand side 'cat articles'
another route of info is to scroll to the top of this page to a white box that says
'search conditions, treatments' that will lead you to other posters who have had similar problems and may give you some better answers.
good luck in your search and please keep us posted.

http://www.vetinfo.com/preventing-cat-vision-loss.html

‚ô•Opus
Yes, welcome to the cat forum!  I don't really have much to add to what Opus said above.  It could be your kitties age or something she has ingested but since it's been 2 wks, it's probably not the latter.  The reason I say it could be her age is because I had a 14 yr old cat who's pupils seemed to stay large the older she got.  It could just be age-related but to be on the safe side I would have her examined by a Vet.
Hi, I agree w/ the above poster about hypertension being a cause of the dilated pupils.  This is what happened to my cat-one eye is dilated, and in that eye she is blind.  I took her to an ophthalmologist for pets, which was surprisingly inexpensive, and they examined her eyes.  

With your kitty's age, high blood pressure might be a problem that could be affecting her eyes.  I would most definitely get it checked out.  Your vet can take the blood pressure and do a quick eye exam.  If kitty does have high blood pressure, the vet will put her on BP meds(same ones that humans take!!).  And, if you get kitty on BP meds quick enough, the eye problems can be reversed!!!

Good luck to ya!

ZQ