dilated pupils in adult outside cat
I saw some similar postings regarding dilated pupils, with responses pertaining to toxins, high blood pressure, luekemia, etc.  This is an outside male cat (adult) -- basically an alley cat that is tame -- and today I noticed his eyes were dilated.  His behavior is typical of him, he's friendly, likes to rub up on you, doesn't like to be pet TOO much (he'll grab you with his paws and sometimes attempt to "bite" (either threatens to, but doesn't, or does so lightly and non-piercing the skin).  Anyway, my question is, does rabies cause dilated eyes??  All his other behaviors appear normal... Just want some reassurance.. seems like dilated eyes in cats is common (according to these forums I keep seeing).

Thanks in advance for your help
Hi, those "bites" you're talking about-ones that don't pierce the skin-are probably "love nips".  That's what I call them!  A cat does that little nip thing when they're purring and happy.  So, if the cat is doing that and you're seeing no other signs of aggressiveness like ears back, slinking, growling, hissing, etc.  Consider the bites as friendly.

Well, to address your question about dilated pupils-I would've suggested the same exact things that you read from previous posts.  I do not agree with high blood pressure being a cause of dilated pupils.  Head injuries could also be a cause of dilated pupils.  Rabies also causes pupil changes as well.

If you're seeing no other symptoms, then I'd do the wait and see thing.  Check our Health Pages for some good tips located on this page, above Recent Activity.
Hi,  Over a 3yr period, my husband and I would notice our cat would come home with dialated pupils. No other symptoms presented other than she seemed a little freaked out.  

I will make a long story short and say she came home one day paralyzed on one side with her pupils dialating and retracting. Er vet says this is called the Wow-Wow syndrome and she has a brain stem injury.    

In retrospect, we wish we had of brought up the dialated pupils to our vet during her annual so she could do a neurological work-up.  It also may have had something to do with the fact that a neighbor boy kicked her in the head.  I would never have known that happened if I hadn't seen it happen myself.  

My point is, we never know exactly what happens to our outdoor kittys when they are away from home.

Maybe have him checked out just to be safe.  I wish we had of.....  

Thanks so much for both of your responses... I'm a bit more relieved now.  I was a bit weiry last night after I received a "love bite" from Morris (the cat), which is actually very typical behavior of his.  He has done that since I moved in in April, it's just that his dilated eyes caught my attention and I wondered if I needed to worry, not just about him but myself too!!!  He showed no other abnormal or aggressive behavior.  I will keep an eye on him the next couple of days and will pay special attention to his eyes -- I'll be sure he gets to a vet if it continues.

Thanks again and have a great day!
To prevent yourself from having another rabies scare, you should seriously think about getting him the rabies vaccine.
I recently noticed my cat of 18 yrs having huge dilated eys that take up all the space. She is in very good condition, always an inside cat (probably why she has lasted so long!) Could this be a cateracs thing? She seems to get around okay, but again she is used to the home and has her sense of smell....