fibroid sarcoma in 14 year old cat-
My 14 year old cat has a fibroid sarcoma on her hind leg.  If a variety of tests come back ok, then the best medical option is amputation.  The tests will try to discover if the cancer has already spread, if her blood work shows no underlying health issues and if her remaining 3 legs are strong enough to support her.  The vet oncologist suggests that if everything comes back ok, then amputation has a 70 to 80% chance of giving her another 2 to 3 years.  I go back and forth trying to decide which is best for her-let the cancer go and take care of her until she is too uncomfortable, or put her through the stress of an amputation and hope that she can bounce back and enjoy another 2 years.  I need honest opinions.  Her ultimate comfort is what I am most concerned with.  
hi and welcome, I am so sorry to read about your dear kitty....this is a difficult choice you are faced with..IMO if  all checks out favorably and can buy kitty more quality time than I would be infavor of giving her that, although at 14 it may be hard on her to overcome the stress....but cats do adapt well at any age to only 3 limbs..

I have never faced this myself, I will include a tread to an older discussion for some pet parents who were faced wtih the same decision...many of these ppl are no longer members of the forum, you could try sending them a private PM to inquire how their kitties are making out...(go to their profile page and you'll see in the upper right hand side 'send a private message')
In any case its good reading, with some suggestions....good luck, please keep posting and updating us on what your decision is and how kitty is doing ♥
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/fibrosarcoma/show/395079
Thank you for your comment.  Good advice!  I have decided to go ahead with the surgery as the tests are as positive as they can be.  They believe that the amputation gives her about an 80% chance of getting all the cancer as it was induced by a rabies shot and not a naturally occurring cancer.  I am concerned, but relieved to have made a decision.  I went to the web sites you gave me and I was so sorry to see so many cats have this injection induced sarcoma.  I guess I am fortunate that it is on my cats' leg and therefore have a better chance of ridding her of the cancer.  My vet hopes we can buy her a good two or three more years, at least!  Thank you again- your advice and direction were right on!   Mary
Hi Mary, I see this is the closest thing to what my cat has now (rear leg sarcoma/14 years old). I am wondering how the surgery went for your kitty. Did she recover well? Is she still around, if not when did she pass? I am scheduled for surgery this coming Friday and my kitty has some arthritis in her legs, so I'm worried about the recovery. I appreciate any information of your kitty's post surgery experience.

All the best,
Molly
hi Molly the thread you are replying to is over 2 years old and Mary hasn't been a regular here...so doubtful she'll see your question. you can try clicking on her name than sending her a private message that should go to her email account....

sorry I can't be of any help to your question......just to tell you that these cancers tend to spread and recur quickly, so keep researching and thinking over your choices.
amputation is very invasive especially on an older kitty who is already suffering from arthritis in her legs, will she be able to support herself well on just the 3 legs?
Is this an oncology Vet who is doing the surgery?

I have a site or two I will send along for more reading, perhaps the more you know the better you will feel abt making a decision...bless you both good luck and please keep in contact♥

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Feline_VAS_Support/info

http://www.zzcat.com/resources/treatment.htm

http://www.oncolink.org/types/section.cfm?c=22&s=69
Thanks for the info. Yes, an oncologist will be performing the surgery. I have been doing research and appreciate your links. Hoping the make the best choice for her-- amputation is a scary choice, but from what I've read, some older kitties do OK.
good for you doing the research, these decisions sure aren't easy ones to make. I'm glad you have an oncologist, for a surgery like this a regular Vet just isn't qualified....although some think they are:(
I hope you can find some support and answers to all your questions in the VAS support group, sometimes our best information comes from others who have gone through the experience themselves with their pets...
I wish you the very best of luck and kitty too....please keep us posted.