Cats Community
fibrosarcoma

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Viewing 201-227 comments:
Please,I am interested in Neoplasene..my cat was diagnosed with cancer from vaccine.Is this working?Any info will be appreciated.Thank you
I'm just wondering if anyone has sought out legal help in any of these matters.  It seems apparent to me that the companies producing the vaccines may be responsible for this cancer in our animals, like the companies that produce vaccines for people.  Also wondering if it might be from the foods we are giving them with all the chemicals, etc from the grains and meat we keep injecting and spraying with all the crap that they are killing us with. Maybe it's time we look into finding a way to make them stop with all this garbage that we and our animals are subjected to through the air, water, food and soil that is being poisoned daily.  That includes the vaccines that they claim we need which they are finding even causes a lot of the sickness and mental disease in this country.  I didn't know what this was called when my cat 16 years old got a lump on the side of his belly.  It finally opened up and after keeping it covered with gauze and finding it wasn't getting better we took him to the vet.  The vet found several other lumps on his body and said he should be put down.  He was still very active and eating fine but the day we took him in he looked at me as if he knew what was going to happen.  I couldn't go in to watch him be put down.  I still remember his sweet little face telling me goodbye.  I have another cat now in fact two of them, both Ragdolls and the older one Gracie is going on 8 years old and I found a lump under her chin which seems to be getting bigger and also one on her hind leg, both are a little bigger than pea size and I am hoping she does not have it.  I read many of the stories here and it brings tears to my eyes and sadness in my heart that we have allowed this kind of thing to continue.
hi...I am very sorry to hear of these stories just like you, in the best interest of my current kitties (indoor only) it has been my decision to stop vaccines...although I still believe perhaps the initial vac's are perhaps necessary but I tend to agree with some Vets who have written on this subject that one set should be good for life.....

what are we subjecting our animals too indeed.. with both vaccines and diet.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your dear kitty, I urge you to see a Vet for a proper dx of Gracies lump....it may only be a cyst that needs draining, hope for the best:)

meanwhile, I don't know of any law suits but I will give you a link to many articles and books that Vets have written on the dangers of vaccines....there are many links on that site if you wish to follow up on the type of info you are seeking...that would be where to ask. good luck, and prayers for Gracie too♥

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/AnimalWellness/PetVacc.aspx#Loops
My cat Zeus was diagnosed with fibrosarcoma first week of November the lump was about a inch round. Decided against surgery because he needed to have a rib removed and i would have to take him to the University of Minneapolis which is 6hrs away for radiation for a couple of weeks. Two months later the tumor is now over 10 inchs around sticking out from his rib cage 2.5 inchs. He's not in pain as far as i can tell so far. Sleeps a bit more but still follows me around the house from room to room looking for a rub, wanting to play or just seeing whatching what im up to. He seems to eat a LOT more wet food now and clean himself more then usual. Hoping for the tumor to slow down so i can enjoy another summer with him before he's ready to go.

I am so sorry to read about your dear kitty Zeus....fibrosarcomas are such a terrible thing to treat and the surgeries can be so drastic. Only we the parents that love them can make a decision based in their best interests. I do hope he continues to enjoy life for as long as possible.
I also hope you will recognize when he is in pain and will be prepared to medicate him for this or to let him go and not allow him to suffer....
my heart goes out to you both. God bless♥
Thank you for writing, and I'm so sorry for your loss.  Our beloved cat is nearly 11, and has had the lumpy sarcoma tumor from vaccination growing since last summer. It's now over an area about 4" across.  It opened just a week ago, and a growing section has no fur.  The open area also has some scabbing. My husband is a doctor and I think he said the open wound happens because the growing cancer is keeping the skin from getting blood.

His appetite is still good, energy less--he sleeps more than before. But he loves to cuddle, so like many I read about here, we are enjoying him while we can.  Like you and others, when he starts to seem in pain or debilitated, we will put him down. I am hoping our vet will come to our home.

Our vet too, said we could amputate his rear left leg, but that the cancer basically always returns.  So we opted not to go that route.
My kitty is due for her 1st year booster shots. I decided to google vaccines and side effects just to be informed because this is my first cat. Google brought my here....
I am so sorry for everyone's tragedies and suffering. It's not fair what has happened to you! Your stories are not common knowledge and most people don't know enough to ask. How can we get more people informed?

I'm debating whether to even vaccinate my cat ever again in fear of what can possibly happen. There's an intranasal FVRCP vaccine that can be given for my kitty's booster instead of the shot. I don't have to get the rabies due to it not a law in my county/city. Should I get the Intranasal FVRCP vaccine?
hi...good for you trying to get informed. as much as vaccines can lead to sarcomas all the Vets really do recommend you get the first set at least and many Vets will say that is good for a lifetime of protection. Its the 'adjuvanted' vaccines such as Rabies and FeLv that are the most dangerous, so when getting a booster ask for a NON-adjuvanted booster for the FeLv or go with the intranasal.

I'm sorry I'm really not informed on the intranasal choice since its not avail where I live, but I would think it would be much safer due to there not being an inoculation site for a tumor to develop. have a good talk with your Vet abt this choice but I do recommend you do get the boosters, as long as  your cat is an indoor only kitty than that should be all she ever needs.
I'm curious as to the timing between the last vaccine given and then finding the VAS lump.
The average age of the cats here seem to be around 10 years old.

Did you faithfully vaccinate every year? Or can you point to that one time you had to vaccinate because your cat needed teeth cleaned or was sick and vet wouldn't treat unless vaccinated?

This is heartbreaking.  My kitten, 10 months old, developed what we thought was an abscess in her neck area very quickly.  We noticed it on Wednesday evening and got her in to see her vet that Saturday.  He took an aspiration, found some dried blood and clear fluid. He wanted to put in drains, still thinking it was an abscess.  I took her in on Monday to have the procedure.  This time the doctor couldn't get anything.  He thinks that it's probably fibrosarcoma.  She's running a temp of 104, still eating, going to the bathroom, playing, etc.  From everything I've been reading her outlook isn't good.  I've had cats my entire life and have never had anything like this happen because of a vaccination!  Has anyone pursued getting help from the manufacturer?  If so, what were the results?
From what I've read it can just be inflammation at this point and the odds are in favor of it going down. It can take up to a few months. Did your vet say to watch it for a few weeks to see if it gets bigger or smaller? I wouldn't call it fiborsarcoma until there is a biopsy and tested. What a scary and anxious time for you! I'm so sorry.

Our cat was diagnosed in Sept 2013 with cancer from leukemia vaccinations—it was his left hip.  I found on the UC Davis site:  
Canine and Feline Vaccination Guidelines
UC DAVIS VMTH CANINE AND FELINE VACCINATION GUIDELINES    (Revised 11/12)
In general, guidelines for vaccination of cats have been strongly influenced by the appearance of vaccine-associated sarcomas in cats, and in particular their epidemiologic association with feline leukemia virus vaccines and killed rabies virus vaccines. Thus, there is clear evidence for minimizing frequency of vaccination in cats. The recommendations below have been made in light of the AVMA/AAHA/AAFP/VCS task force recommendations on vaccine-associated sarcomas in cats. Risk factors for sarcomas should be discussed with cat owners at the time of examination. If a cat develops a palpable granuloma at the site of previous vaccination, the benefits vs risks of future vaccinations should be carefully considered. All vaccine-associated sarcomas should be reported to the vaccine manufacturer.
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/small_animal/internal_medicine/newsletters/vaccination_protocols.cfm

• Over the next five months the tumor grew, hard and lumpy.
• One month ago our cat’s cancer tumor site lost all its fur, and had an open wound.  As the weeks went on, more wounds opened, bleeding at first, and then constantly leaking lymph fluid, clear, reddish fluid.  A week before we put our cat down, the site began to stink from the rotting flesh.
• Despite all this, our cat seemed okay otherwise. He had been energetic, purring, jumping into our laps, and eating well up to two days before we put him down.
• We had our cat euthanized two days ago.  Although he had been energetic, purring, jumping into our laps, and eating well up through Sunday.  But Monday and Tuesday he stopped eating and just lay in the back of our closet.
• When I first called our vet about euthanizing, they quoted us over $150 to bring the cat in, euthanizing the cat, cremation, and exam. And close to $300 if the vet came to our home.
• I felt angry and appalled that they were charging us when it was the vaccines they had administered to our cat that CAUSED the cancer.
• They had either lied or misspoke about not knowing the manufacturer of the vaccine.  The day we euthanized our cat, my husband talked with the head vet who said they DID know the manufacturer and it was Pfizer.
• The same day, I spoke to the manager and even though the vet had said that, she persisted in saying “we have no way of knowing what manufacturer it was.”
• The manager also said she didn’t know the UC Davis site said clinics should tell their customers the risks of vaccinations. I told her I would have wanted to know, and weigh for myself the risks of vaccinating or not my indoor-outdoor cat.
• When I spoke to the manager I asked for waiving the fee, or alternatively at least meeting us halfway.  They did reduce the cost (of euthanizing the cat, cremation, and decided to forgo the exam) by half

thank you so much for reporting your findings and for doing the digging to get an answer!!!

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear kitty....its heartbreaking to read of the loss of so many from these vaccine related sarcomas. I'm glad you acted quickly at the first sign of pain and didn't allow him to suffer, its always hard to make that final call, but you did so with his best interest at heart because you loved him. again my condolences♥
My 14+yr old kitty, Tani, was recently diagnosed with a fibrosarcoma...and after reading more than half the entries on this site, I could not be more disheartened.  Sherrecently saw an oncologist at Animal Medical Center in NYC, got CT scan,biopsies, x-rays. Her tumor may or may not be the result of a vaccine injection, it was not certain. but at this point it is still relatively small, 1x3 cm and not too deep, so the surgeon is hoping to get clean margins...although that too is not certain, esp in cases of fibrosarcoma. My thoughts right now are on what should follow.  Radiation and chemo from what I read, don't seem to add much to longevity. I was thinking of holistic treatments, to prolong a good quality of life.  I believe the vet I'm planning to consult with has used neoplasene to treat pets with cancer.  Does anyone know anything about that?  Can it be used instead of surgery? or better post surgery?
I will be seeing a holistic vet in NYC next week who uses neoplasene and will find out more about it....because my kitty also has a fibrosarcoma, and I want to decide if I should do surgery and then follow up with alternative treatment, or skip the surgery. Have you had any other responses re neoplasene?
Just found this on an earlier posting:

I have limited info myself but do know of some holistic people treating their kitties with neoplasene...it can be quite harsh but does give an alternative to the invasive surgery option. the dr. at Buck Mountain Botanicals deals with your own Vet for either oral or injectible choices that reduce the size of the tumor...worth making a call and asking more questions about.
http://www.buckmountainbotanicals.net/index.html
hi and welcome, I am so sorry you and kitty are dealing with this horrible diagnosis...good for you for doing lots of research, thats exactly how I tackle huge problems as well.

I believe I am the one that posted the info above on Neoplasene. and gave the website from buckmountain botanicals.
I have no experience with them myself its just some info I came across while doing some reading on VAS.
I do believe the injections are used as an alternative to surgery...saying its so much less invasive than amputation..from what I understand they have good success with reducing the size or even eliminating the tumor...as far as long term with reoccurance I couldn't say.

I am glad you have found a holistic Vet that has used this method. I would really appreciate it if you would keep us informed with all you find out and what treatments you decide on....

meanwhile we here all wish you the very best of luck and love♥

where is the tumor located?
Thank you for reaching out...for your concern and caring.  You seem to be quite knowledgeable about this and I was wondering if you had any vet training or are simply someone who has done a lot of research. re my kitty,
here is the biopsy report if this will better help to explain things. Many thanks for your input.

PRIORITY BIOPSY W/DESC (1 SITE)
Test
SOURCE/HISTORY              

Firm mass to the right of the caudal sacrum and near the right hip
noticed over the last 2 weeks. No known history of injection in this
area.

MICROSCOPIC DESCRIPTION    

We received Tru-Cut samples within 2 submitted cassettes. These both
contain portions of the same densely cellular neoplasm, sometimes
accompanied by areas of subcutaneous adipose tissue or fascia. This is
composed of streaming and interlacing bundles of plump spindle cells,
supported by sparse to moderate quantities of collagen. Cells have
large, oval to elongated vesicular nuclei with prominent nucleoli and
sparse to moderate, fibrillar eosinophilic cytoplasm. These display a
relatively high nucleocytoplasmic ratio, with mild anisocytosis and
anisokaryosis. There are relatively frequent foci of lymphoplasmacytic
inflammation throughout the mass, sometimes accompanied by sparse
neutrophils. Mitoses are difficult to discern due to the extent of
inflammation, but average approximately 2-3 per high-power field.

MICROSCOPIC INTERPRETATION  

Fibrosarcoma, intermediate grade

COMMENTS                    

This tumor contain fairly widespread secondary inflammation, of the
type which is often associated with vaccine associated sarcomas.
However, no adjuvant material was seen, and vaccine association would
of course not be suspected if there is no history of previous
vaccination in this area.

No training just a longtime pet parent that likes to do a lot of reading to keep my kitties as healthy as possible. I just wish the web an the ability to gain some knowledge had come about in time to help my previous kitties.
Since the tumor is in the hip area amputation won't be an option, they would concentrate on tumor removal alone. sorry I'm not really able to interpret the biopsy or give a qualified opinion on that. If I am reading correctly though it does seem to be saying the sarcoma is fairly widespread and that isn't what we want to hear.
There have also been in outraging results using Lipo vitaminC injections into the tumor, your holistic Vet should also be knowledgeable in that.
Keep her on a good diet of grain free and high in protein NO meat by-products.
You are a good mommy and I can tell how much love and concern you have for little Tani, my heart breaks for you both right now. I sure pray this Vet can help buy you some more quality time together
that should have read outstanding not outraging....sorry was on my ipad and don't always look back well enough..lol

now that I am on my desk top I am more able to go back and find a series of journals made by one of our members...Laurent abt his dear kitty Lucy. Lucy had mammary cancer and laurent opted for surgical removal with NO chemo. This gave him and Lucy nearly 2 more very good healthy years together...
so if your looking for some feel good reading I suggest you read her story...
btw she just passed away recently, very peacefully..:((

it reads in reverse, so this link opens on page 2 where he begins Jun 4/2012 than click on page one via the arrows to reverse read the rest of his journals up to the last one on 2-05-2014

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/list/2193335?page=2&personal_page_id=2691122&sort_by=date
its really hard to jump back and forth to reverse read those journals the way they are posted....maybe this link will be easier to follow...this starts on page 6 read from bottom up, than click on page 5, 4, 3 and so on...  again read from bottom up....geez hope I'm making sense, hate the way these journals get sequenced:((

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/index/2193335?page=6&personal_page_id=2691122&sort_by=date
Thank you again for your concern and caring...The story of Lucy is in many ways what I would hope for, for my Tani.  She is now 14 1/2 yrs old...If I could get another 2 good years with her, I would feel we were all  blessed.
Do you have any details or particulars, accounts from people who have used Lipo vitaminC injections, with fibrosarcomas? I would like to know more about that.  Would it be in lieu of surgery or post surgery, as an adjuvant?  I do not plan to put my baby through chemo/radiation if we do go through with surgery...because I don't think the tradeoff would be worth it.
hi....I am going to send you a private message...to find this check the Medhelp icon on top of page...it will show a #1 next to inbox...
I am here too, like you, agonizing over my gentle kitty who has the horrible fibrosarcoma tumor, removed from his right side 6 days ago.  I love him and I need him and I wish I could go when he does.  I still have to go see the oncologist as soon as this incision heals.  I have to be strong for him amd make his months as happy as they can be.  I f there were only a way that we could stop the tumor from coming back.  Did I spread cells by having it removed? But it had to be removed.  I want to know about holistic treatments or methods that could reduce the chances of it coming back.  I see you are giving your kitty good natural things.  But my poor kitty also has FIV, which is the equivalent of the human HIV, but not nearly as bad.  So his immune system wont be great in helping to prevent a recurrence.  Do you know where I can find out about holistic cancer treatments for Felix the Cat?  I feel for you so much, I am just resolved in trying to make my kitty very very happy and so loved, get as much living in whatever time he has left. I know you are doing the same.  I just wish God would let me know if our beloved friends have souls or spirits that are eternal, so that we could be sure to see them again.
I have sadly joined this group/link of moms with Fibrosarcoma diagnosed cats.  Nemo is about 6 yrs old; I found a very very tiny lump on his leg; actually thought it felt like his microchip and got scared that it may have migrated; brought him right in; microchip was right where it should be; due to the fact that it was in his right rear leg (not hip), they expressed concern about the fibrosarcoma and vaccine etiology - he has gotten the 3 year vaccine  and has now had 3 of them in his life time.  It was removed the next day; patho came back today confirming the FS; margins were clear but were also very very thin, less than 1 mm which is concerning.  My dogs eat a vegan diet with me; my cats eat chicken soup for the cat lover's soul which has all the same ingredients as Wellness brand but at about 1/3 the price.  They get no byproducts and do get a few nutritional supplements added - brewers yeast, fresh veggie juice juiced by me; co-q-10 and green tea extract.  I don't know what to do next.  Do I automatically remove his leg prophalactically?  Is there a way to monitor and check for recurrence before doing something so drastic?  What do I do about the vaccines?  I've heard there is a once a year vaccine that is better, less of a risk; I've also heard get the vaccines in their tail instead of their leg.  Are there any other nutritional supplements I should be adding?  I will tell you that I have 12 special needs animals and both cost to me and their quality of life are of extreme importance to consider.  Please email me directly to tpmickey at aol ******* because I've been swimming in research and links and don't know if I will find my way back here to check for answers.  
Thanks so much for your time and consideration.  Please help me to make the right and best decisions for my sweet boy.  Thanks again.
Tess
I just read your post. I was looking for advice about what to do now that my cat has his leg removed and then within 3 months another mass appeared and another 3 another. 3 surgeries so far. But I would do it all over again. He went thru it like a champ and I know he enjoys his life. He's still the dominant cat. Bringing him home after his entire left leg (from leukemia vaccine) was removed was frightening to me. Yes, he had pain a few days but the meds work great. I immediately went for amputation because by the time we discovered it -- and I still can't believe this because we pet a lot but he's never liked his legs stroked -- the tumor looked like a mouse had crawled under his skin.

I didn't see him suffer and he bounced back and zips around, jumps, chases the other cat. The only thing he doesn't do, which I'm so pleased with, is walking along the banister on the second story that's inside my house. That always scared me. So that's a good result!  

My vet has entirely changed their protocol after seeing what my cat went through and changed manufacturers when they do vaccinate and will use the one that has no adjuvant and less risk.

For anyone who has a post-surgery cat recovering, I use a soft sided carrier with netting on the sides and sheep skin like floor. He was very comfy in it and I could see him. Just a tip. He stayed on my bed all during recovery so I could monitor his needs.
my heart always breaks to read abt these poor kitties and their VAS...

there is alot of documentation that many Vets are now saying its unnecessary to do annual vaccines....and that is just overkill and dangerous to our animals. many recommend only the first set followed by boosters than they are good for life...similar to the vaccines we get at childhood.
the exception of course if rabies....
My cats are indoor only and I live where these vac's aren't forced on them by law.....so I choose not to vaccinate, not even for rabies.

rabies is one that is adjuvanted except for one I found out abt....read the following that I posted on earlier. good luck to all the dear little ones♥

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/Adjuvanted-vs-NON-Adjuvanted-Vaccines/show/1994260?personal_page_id=861539
HI I not sure if anyone can help me, maybe I just know my heart hurts so much for my cat. Like all of you Missy has cancer from the vaccine. She was diagnosed last summer and we tried to have it surgically removed; it didn't work. I wont bother with the details of how I feel about the vets conduct or how we were not given the information we needed to make an informed choice; it doesn't matter anymore. All I care about is knowing what to do. Missy was doing pretty good up till a couple weeks ago but then the lump grew rapidly and opened up. It leaks a little constantly. She eats very little now and has taken to sleeping in another room away from everyone. She isn't walking well and tonight we noticed another hole is about to erupt. After the first one did she seemed to come back again a bit and started to seem like her old self. I guess what I need to know is, if there is any chance that after this one erupts will she feel better for a while.?I know I have to make a hard decision and I don't wont her to suffer. She is on pain medication now but as off today it doesn't seem to be working. I don't want to make a rash decision if there is any chance she will feel better for a little while. ANY advise would helpful I don't know what to do.
This really just breaks my heart every time I read these sad stories and kitties in such bad circumstances, I'm sorry..so very sorry for you both.

Honey I think you know yourself what's the right thing to do, this isn't going to get any better, not even for a short while. There is a saying I heard once, that hope is something we hang onto when we can't bare to let go....

If the pain medication is no longer working than its time honey...it's not fair to keep little Missy alive when she's suffering an has no hope of improving. Believe me I do know how hard this decision is for us parents to make, but as parents we let go out of love

Sending you both my prayers
bon....I hope I wasn't too harsh in my last reply, goodbyes and knowing when to make the calls are so very hard. this is a wonderful little writeup by Susan Jackson that I wanted to send you and all the other pet parents struggling right now...God bless♥

Do you think the time has come? May I say good-bye to pain-filled days and endless nights?
I've lived my life and done my best, an exampled tried to be.
So can't I take that step beyond and set my spirit free?
I didn't want to go at first, I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now to a warm and loving light.
I want to go, I really do. Its difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can to live just one more day.
To give you time to care for me and share your love and tears.
I know you're sad and so afraid, because I see your tears.
I'll not be far, I promise that, and hope you'll always know that my spirit will be close to you, wherever you may go.
Thank you for loving me.
You know I love you too.
Thats why its hard to say good-bye and end this life with you.
So hold me now, just one more time and let me hear you say, because you care so much for me, you'll let me go today.
-Susan A. Jackson
HI opus thank you for replying. I never saw your messages until yesterday. My email didn’t notify me like I thought it would. I just happened to come across the site again looking for answers. Since I wrote last Missy has had both a good spell and another bad spell. Last weekend I had decided it was time and was going to call in the morning to make the arrangements. I work a very early morning shift and got home at 9:30 am planning on calling only to find her outside with my partner walking around eating grass and enjoying the first warm day we have had. I have decided to give her this time as long as she seems to be enjoying the chance for a few days of spring, but I will not let her go through another bad spell. At the first sign of things turning for the worst again I will call. I have already spoken to the vet about when and what I need to do. They will come to the house the same day I call if need be. I will not take her to the vets; she will die at home.
I just wanted to thank you for your comments and the poem; it did help. I have never cried so hard over a decision in my life and though I know it’s the right one there will be nothing about it that will console me but time. My heart goes out to anyone reading this post because I know that like me you found your way here looking for answers and hope that is not likely to come. I only wish there was something profound and wise I could say to anyone reading this; something I have learned through all of this that could help but there is nothing. You will go through a gut wrenching painful time and you will need to find the strength for your pet to get through it. I hope I will find mine to do what I know I must.
Don't vaccinate anymore, not needed. I myself don't get vaccinated (my early years/childhood) will have to do me for life. It's not for the health of your kitty, but for the vet's pocketbook IMO.  I have to get yearly leukemia vacs though on my non-leukemia kitties because I have 3 kitties with leukemia (I hate doing those).
I only recommend getting 1st vaccines on the ones when I adopt out & then not anymore.
I am also dealing w/ a huge fibrosarcoma on the base of the tail of one of our shop cats, very distressing.
Do you have any advice on how to care for a seepy sarcoma?  My sweet Jake (15 yo cat) has begun this phase--open and seeping wound on his side.  The vet gave him an antibiotic injection and suggested a baby t-shirt with maxi pads inside to absorb the moisture and prevent further infection.  He's on the patio now in a baby gown (the kind with elastic around the bottom) with maxi pads stuck into the fabric.  He is very ashamed of his dress.

Suggestions please!

Elizabeth
Do you have any advice on how to care for a seepy sarcoma/  My sweet Jake has begun this phase--open and seeping wound on his side.  The vet gave him an antibiotic injection and suggested a baby t-shirt with maxi pads inside to absorb the moisture and prevent further infection.  He's on the patio now in a baby gown (the kind with elastic around the bottom) with maxi pads stuck into the fabric.  He is very ashamed of his dress.

Suggestions please!

Elizabeth
Don't wait long.. My 14 yr old male DSH developed an olive sized lump on his back in October/November of 2013.  In December it was biopsied and he was diaganosed with Fibrosarcoma.  The vet advised against surgery, partly due to his age, and partly due to the fact that this cancer is rarely, if ever, curable.   It's now May 5th, and he has huge tumours all over his body..some of them 15 to 20 cm in size.  He's lost a ton of weight, energy is zero, food intake next to nothing.  I imagine in the next couple of weeks we will be making a heartbreaking decision.  I keep thinking if maybe we got to it earlier, it may not have spread.   Good luck.  
My kitty Tani, 14 1/2 yrs old was diagnosed with fibro sarcoma, on lower back, after needle biopsy by local vet mid- January 2013 and she offered to do the surgery. It was still small (olive size), but within weeks was quickly increasing in size. I decided to immediately take my sweet little furry to the Animal Medical Center in NYC, where I consulted with a top-notch oncologist (Anne Hohenhaus) who after CT scans and other tests, recommended surgery as well.  I had the surgery performed by an accredited and licensed surgeon, at AMC and they were able to remove the entire tumor and get clean margins. We're only 2 months since surgery, but my baby has fully recuperated and is her sweet loving self again, good appetite, playful...and we go back for our first check-up in @2 weeks. In view of the grueling protocol required for radiation follow-up and my kitty's age, I decided against that...but we will soon be seeing a holistic vet to continue giving her the best possible chance at long-term survival.

Needless to say this was a costly proposition, but I would do it again, in a heartbeat, to give my kitty the fighting chance she deserves. I'm not in a position to judge, but I do believe that our well-intentioned local vets, have no place performing these kinds of surgeries. If you were diagnosed with an aggressive, cancerous tumor would you want your primary care physician operating on you in the back room of his office...or would you choose an experienced  and credentialed surgeon, at one of the big cancer centers/hospitals, to do that job?

If you learn that your kitty has been diagnosed with a fibro sarcoma run, don't walk to the nearest and best animal hospital you can find...one with vets who have credentials in cancer treatment. This is not a job for your every day vet, who may be good for a spay/neuter surgery, but not specialized enough to do the best job when it comes to something as serious and complex as this. I think many may recommend euthanization because they are not up to treating cancers like fibro sarcomas, and believe that "it's not worth the cost to try to prolong the life of a cat, because there are so many out there in need of a home and you can get another one". They are often very pragmatic about these matters, since they are putting animals down every day, for one reason or another, and in many cases have become hardened and do not consider the bond we may have with our beloved pet.

Use your heart and best judgment to decide what YOU want to do for your kitty and don't let yourself be swayed by easy and quick pronouncements. If you can, seek a second opinion if you're not happy with the first..but try to get an "expert" opinion whenever possible...eg; at a Vet School in a University...their profs are training others and if you're lucky may be able to help.
Hi, this is my first time here. It helps to know that I am not alone in this and that others understand what I am feeling. About 3 months ago, I took my Rowdy in for her yearly vaccines, and to have this lump on her back leg looked at. I noticed it a month prior, it was soft but didn't slow her down. The vet looked at it and said Oh my, this does not look good. After x-rays and blood work she said it's a tumor brought on by over vaccinating my indoor cat. She then tells me I didn't need to give her all those vaccines since she never goes out. My jaw hit the floor. I looked at her and said your telling me that all those vaccines you tell me every year that she needs, she really does not, that it is all about the boss' billing? She then tells me that we need to amputate her leg. And keeps going on and on about how we need to do it now. So why should I trust them now? they are the ones to put my girl in this position. So I told her no, not going to cut her leg off. She made me feel like the worst kind of kitty mommy because I would not agree to the amputation. I read and read and read everything I could find. It all said that even if it was caught early (like marble size not ping pong size) if the leg is cleanly amputated and she goes through chemo that there is still a 62% chance that it will return and only a 30% chance that I will have her for another year. This vet did not mention chemo or any thing other than amputation. I know my Rowdy, she would not do well with only one back leg. Her front claws were removed when she was very young so that would leaver her only one paw with claws. I think what makes me the angriest is that I was not told of the side effects of these shots. I feel that anything that has a life threatening side effect regardless of species, we should be told so that we can make an informed decision. They should not be allowed to put the health of our furry family members in jeopardy so they can make a buck. Now I have the heart breaking decision of having to put my girl to sleep. I have an appointment for a second opinion, but do not hold any hope. She is the last of my original 4. Her sibs are all waiting for her over the bridge, but it doesn't make the decision any easier. I just keep asking myself, if I made the right decision.
I don't know the age of your Rowdy, or what your limitations might be in terms of finances, but if she is still full of life, I would not take that away from her. Cats do fine with 3 legs...declawed or not. You might want to find a top notch oncologist and surgeon and see if they can perform surgery without amputation.
Whatever time you buy for her you will never regret.  Many people have amputations in order to live....why not give your cat the same chance. And BTW, my Tani, passed her first checkup and so now we keep praying and hoping that she will also pass the next one. Best of luck!
Hi, I learned today that my 11 year old cat Miss Allie was diagnosed with Fibrosarcome on her front left leg. Also, found out that her kidneys aren't functioning the way they should be. She is an outside cat, and would never want to be inside. I bring her in my basement at night and she is ready to go out in the morning ASAP. The doctor informed us that removal of her leg was the only option, and she couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't come back somewhere else. I am torn whether or not to remove her leg, and put her at the risk of being attacked by another cat/ dog and not be able to defend herself. Doc also said the outside older cats don't adapt we'll with a leg amputation. If she were indoor, it would be better. I don't know what to do. Any input in this matter will be greatfully appreciated. She acts fine, and I don't know what to do. I am HEARTBROKEN.
I am really sorry to read of yet another kitty with this unfortunate condition...I think you really have to come to terms with IF you opted for this amputation that you also accept the fact that Miss Allie will from that day on be an indoor only cat, you cannot put her thru such as drastic surgery than expect her to fend for herself with only 3 legs...gosh its hard enough for many 4 legged cats to manage...
please I beg you do NOT even consider this surgery if you intend to allow her access to the outdoors again, cats DO adapt to staying indoors...if you wish you can leash train her as I have mine, they learn quickly and than can go outdoors safely with you....never tether alone!!!
good luck and I do hope you take my advice, its offered in the best interest of Miss Allie....♥
A cat at 11 still has, potentially, some good years left, unless however there are mitigating circumstances...like renal failure, although I had a cat with who showed signs of renal disease at 13 and lived to 18, with proper diet and accupuncture. If you opt for surgery, you might want to consider building some sort of outdoor enclosure where she will be able to go out, but still. be safe. If you can buy her a few good years I think you find it's worth it and you will know that you did your very best, just as you would for a child. But above all, if you are able to get a second opinion from a Board certified oncologist, and then, if recommended have the surgery done by a surgeon, rather than your general practitioner vet, you would be doing yourself and your cat a big favor. If you or a family member learned you had cancer and needed surgery would you want your family doctor to do the job?
very good points thank you for weighing in SweetTani....I am very happy to read that Tani is doing well, keep us updated on her♥
Our little girl, Grey One (because she's the grey one and her sister is the Black One.. get it?) just underwent her second surgery for fibrosarcoma removal.  We went to a specialisty Oncologist the second time around, and he believes they got it all, but by millimeters, not centimeters, so he's pretty sure it's going to come back.  I don't think that chemo/radiation is a fiscally responsible option for us, since we've already taken out loans for the surgeries alone.  How to I explain to my husband (who's had her for eleven years) that we shouldn't move forward with additional treatment?  The tumor is a high grade, extremely aggressive cancer, and I'm almost 100% positive it will keep coming back.

At this point I've started researching pawspice and other end-of-life care.  She's still healthy and has great appetite and we know we'll have a good solid 6 months with her without the additional treatments...

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!
My sweet Tani had surgery for firbrosarcoma 4 months ago...they got clear margins and so far so good.  I opted not to do chemo or radiation, because at almost 15 yrs old, my kitty would have been terribly traumatized by having to go for treatments daily, 5x/wk, for a full month and be anesthesized each time...spending a good part of the day with treatment and recuperation. The cost was also, of course, quite high, both financially and physically. I pray she will stay cancer free for a long time to come, and will continue to do periodic check-ups. In case of a reoccurrence, I would probably opt for surgery again...buying her as much good health as I can, for as long as possible. In the meantime, I followd up with a vet at the same Animal Medical Center who practices integrative veterinarian medicine, and I am trying to get my kitty to take the immune system support tablets that she prescribed...a bit of a challenge. I urge you to keep a positive attitude, and when the time comes that you have run out of options, do what needs to be done.
I felt the same way, wanting to go when they do.  I was surprised that I felt different after. I never really lost my cat. she's with me and we're going to be together forever, just not in body right now. it's all  ok.  :)
My Lucy has fibrosarcoma, she is 16 her sister Mandy is healthy, it's so hard to know she has this cancer and the vet said he would not recommend treatment. We just love on her and pray we will know when it's time to let her go. She is eating, great appetite as always:) just do not want her to suffer with pain. Can't believe that no one ever mentioned the possibility of this from getting yearly vaccinations. Just hurts to know when you think you are doing everything to keep them healthy you find out maybe they didn't need to get all those injections. I'm so glad we rescued them from the animal shelter 15 years ago. My husband and I love, love, love, the girls. They have been such a blessing to us. They have always been house cats and have been very clean girls, Can't believe how much love they give us! I just want more time. Blessings
Viewing 201-227 comments: