Cats Community
fibrosarcoma

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Viewing 201-247 comments:
that should have read outstanding not outraging....sorry was on my ipad and don't always look back well enough..lol

now that I am on my desk top I am more able to go back and find a series of journals made by one of our members...Laurent abt his dear kitty Lucy. Lucy had mammary cancer and laurent opted for surgical removal with NO chemo. This gave him and Lucy nearly 2 more very good healthy years together...
so if your looking for some feel good reading I suggest you read her story...
btw she just passed away recently, very peacefully..:((

it reads in reverse, so this link opens on page 2 where he begins Jun 4/2012 than click on page one via the arrows to reverse read the rest of his journals up to the last one on 2-05-2014

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/list/2193335?page=2&personal_page_id=2691122&sort_by=date
its really hard to jump back and forth to reverse read those journals the way they are posted....maybe this link will be easier to follow...this starts on page 6 read from bottom up, than click on page 5, 4, 3 and so on...  again read from bottom up....geez hope I'm making sense, hate the way these journals get sequenced:((

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/index/2193335?page=6&personal_page_id=2691122&sort_by=date
Thank you again for your concern and caring...The story of Lucy is in many ways what I would hope for, for my Tani.  She is now 14 1/2 yrs old...If I could get another 2 good years with her, I would feel we were all  blessed.
Do you have any details or particulars, accounts from people who have used Lipo vitaminC injections, with fibrosarcomas? I would like to know more about that.  Would it be in lieu of surgery or post surgery, as an adjuvant?  I do not plan to put my baby through chemo/radiation if we do go through with surgery...because I don't think the tradeoff would be worth it.
hi....I am going to send you a private message...to find this check the Medhelp icon on top of page...it will show a #1 next to inbox...
I am here too, like you, agonizing over my gentle kitty who has the horrible fibrosarcoma tumor, removed from his right side 6 days ago.  I love him and I need him and I wish I could go when he does.  I still have to go see the oncologist as soon as this incision heals.  I have to be strong for him amd make his months as happy as they can be.  I f there were only a way that we could stop the tumor from coming back.  Did I spread cells by having it removed? But it had to be removed.  I want to know about holistic treatments or methods that could reduce the chances of it coming back.  I see you are giving your kitty good natural things.  But my poor kitty also has FIV, which is the equivalent of the human HIV, but not nearly as bad.  So his immune system wont be great in helping to prevent a recurrence.  Do you know where I can find out about holistic cancer treatments for Felix the Cat?  I feel for you so much, I am just resolved in trying to make my kitty very very happy and so loved, get as much living in whatever time he has left. I know you are doing the same.  I just wish God would let me know if our beloved friends have souls or spirits that are eternal, so that we could be sure to see them again.
I have sadly joined this group/link of moms with Fibrosarcoma diagnosed cats.  Nemo is about 6 yrs old; I found a very very tiny lump on his leg; actually thought it felt like his microchip and got scared that it may have migrated; brought him right in; microchip was right where it should be; due to the fact that it was in his right rear leg (not hip), they expressed concern about the fibrosarcoma and vaccine etiology - he has gotten the 3 year vaccine  and has now had 3 of them in his life time.  It was removed the next day; patho came back today confirming the FS; margins were clear but were also very very thin, less than 1 mm which is concerning.  My dogs eat a vegan diet with me; my cats eat chicken soup for the cat lover's soul which has all the same ingredients as Wellness brand but at about 1/3 the price.  They get no byproducts and do get a few nutritional supplements added - brewers yeast, fresh veggie juice juiced by me; co-q-10 and green tea extract.  I don't know what to do next.  Do I automatically remove his leg prophalactically?  Is there a way to monitor and check for recurrence before doing something so drastic?  What do I do about the vaccines?  I've heard there is a once a year vaccine that is better, less of a risk; I've also heard get the vaccines in their tail instead of their leg.  Are there any other nutritional supplements I should be adding?  I will tell you that I have 12 special needs animals and both cost to me and their quality of life are of extreme importance to consider.  Please email me directly to tpmickey at aol ******* because I've been swimming in research and links and don't know if I will find my way back here to check for answers.  
Thanks so much for your time and consideration.  Please help me to make the right and best decisions for my sweet boy.  Thanks again.
Tess
I just read your post. I was looking for advice about what to do now that my cat has his leg removed and then within 3 months another mass appeared and another 3 another. 3 surgeries so far. But I would do it all over again. He went thru it like a champ and I know he enjoys his life. He's still the dominant cat. Bringing him home after his entire left leg (from leukemia vaccine) was removed was frightening to me. Yes, he had pain a few days but the meds work great. I immediately went for amputation because by the time we discovered it -- and I still can't believe this because we pet a lot but he's never liked his legs stroked -- the tumor looked like a mouse had crawled under his skin.

I didn't see him suffer and he bounced back and zips around, jumps, chases the other cat. The only thing he doesn't do, which I'm so pleased with, is walking along the banister on the second story that's inside my house. That always scared me. So that's a good result!  

My vet has entirely changed their protocol after seeing what my cat went through and changed manufacturers when they do vaccinate and will use the one that has no adjuvant and less risk.

For anyone who has a post-surgery cat recovering, I use a soft sided carrier with netting on the sides and sheep skin like floor. He was very comfy in it and I could see him. Just a tip. He stayed on my bed all during recovery so I could monitor his needs.
my heart always breaks to read abt these poor kitties and their VAS...

there is alot of documentation that many Vets are now saying its unnecessary to do annual vaccines....and that is just overkill and dangerous to our animals. many recommend only the first set followed by boosters than they are good for life...similar to the vaccines we get at childhood.
the exception of course if rabies....
My cats are indoor only and I live where these vac's aren't forced on them by law.....so I choose not to vaccinate, not even for rabies.

rabies is one that is adjuvanted except for one I found out abt....read the following that I posted on earlier. good luck to all the dear little ones♥

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/Adjuvanted-vs-NON-Adjuvanted-Vaccines/show/1994260?personal_page_id=861539
HI I not sure if anyone can help me, maybe I just know my heart hurts so much for my cat. Like all of you Missy has cancer from the vaccine. She was diagnosed last summer and we tried to have it surgically removed; it didn't work. I wont bother with the details of how I feel about the vets conduct or how we were not given the information we needed to make an informed choice; it doesn't matter anymore. All I care about is knowing what to do. Missy was doing pretty good up till a couple weeks ago but then the lump grew rapidly and opened up. It leaks a little constantly. She eats very little now and has taken to sleeping in another room away from everyone. She isn't walking well and tonight we noticed another hole is about to erupt. After the first one did she seemed to come back again a bit and started to seem like her old self. I guess what I need to know is, if there is any chance that after this one erupts will she feel better for a while.?I know I have to make a hard decision and I don't wont her to suffer. She is on pain medication now but as off today it doesn't seem to be working. I don't want to make a rash decision if there is any chance she will feel better for a little while. ANY advise would helpful I don't know what to do.
This really just breaks my heart every time I read these sad stories and kitties in such bad circumstances, I'm sorry..so very sorry for you both.

Honey I think you know yourself what's the right thing to do, this isn't going to get any better, not even for a short while. There is a saying I heard once, that hope is something we hang onto when we can't bare to let go....

If the pain medication is no longer working than its time honey...it's not fair to keep little Missy alive when she's suffering an has no hope of improving. Believe me I do know how hard this decision is for us parents to make, but as parents we let go out of love

Sending you both my prayers
bon....I hope I wasn't too harsh in my last reply, goodbyes and knowing when to make the calls are so very hard. this is a wonderful little writeup by Susan Jackson that I wanted to send you and all the other pet parents struggling right now...God bless♥

Do you think the time has come? May I say good-bye to pain-filled days and endless nights?
I've lived my life and done my best, an exampled tried to be.
So can't I take that step beyond and set my spirit free?
I didn't want to go at first, I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now to a warm and loving light.
I want to go, I really do. Its difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can to live just one more day.
To give you time to care for me and share your love and tears.
I know you're sad and so afraid, because I see your tears.
I'll not be far, I promise that, and hope you'll always know that my spirit will be close to you, wherever you may go.
Thank you for loving me.
You know I love you too.
Thats why its hard to say good-bye and end this life with you.
So hold me now, just one more time and let me hear you say, because you care so much for me, you'll let me go today.
-Susan A. Jackson
HI opus thank you for replying. I never saw your messages until yesterday. My email didn’t notify me like I thought it would. I just happened to come across the site again looking for answers. Since I wrote last Missy has had both a good spell and another bad spell. Last weekend I had decided it was time and was going to call in the morning to make the arrangements. I work a very early morning shift and got home at 9:30 am planning on calling only to find her outside with my partner walking around eating grass and enjoying the first warm day we have had. I have decided to give her this time as long as she seems to be enjoying the chance for a few days of spring, but I will not let her go through another bad spell. At the first sign of things turning for the worst again I will call. I have already spoken to the vet about when and what I need to do. They will come to the house the same day I call if need be. I will not take her to the vets; she will die at home.
I just wanted to thank you for your comments and the poem; it did help. I have never cried so hard over a decision in my life and though I know it’s the right one there will be nothing about it that will console me but time. My heart goes out to anyone reading this post because I know that like me you found your way here looking for answers and hope that is not likely to come. I only wish there was something profound and wise I could say to anyone reading this; something I have learned through all of this that could help but there is nothing. You will go through a gut wrenching painful time and you will need to find the strength for your pet to get through it. I hope I will find mine to do what I know I must.
Don't vaccinate anymore, not needed. I myself don't get vaccinated (my early years/childhood) will have to do me for life. It's not for the health of your kitty, but for the vet's pocketbook IMO.  I have to get yearly leukemia vacs though on my non-leukemia kitties because I have 3 kitties with leukemia (I hate doing those).
I only recommend getting 1st vaccines on the ones when I adopt out & then not anymore.
I am also dealing w/ a huge fibrosarcoma on the base of the tail of one of our shop cats, very distressing.
Do you have any advice on how to care for a seepy sarcoma?  My sweet Jake (15 yo cat) has begun this phase--open and seeping wound on his side.  The vet gave him an antibiotic injection and suggested a baby t-shirt with maxi pads inside to absorb the moisture and prevent further infection.  He's on the patio now in a baby gown (the kind with elastic around the bottom) with maxi pads stuck into the fabric.  He is very ashamed of his dress.

Suggestions please!

Elizabeth
Do you have any advice on how to care for a seepy sarcoma/  My sweet Jake has begun this phase--open and seeping wound on his side.  The vet gave him an antibiotic injection and suggested a baby t-shirt with maxi pads inside to absorb the moisture and prevent further infection.  He's on the patio now in a baby gown (the kind with elastic around the bottom) with maxi pads stuck into the fabric.  He is very ashamed of his dress.

Suggestions please!

Elizabeth
Don't wait long.. My 14 yr old male DSH developed an olive sized lump on his back in October/November of 2013.  In December it was biopsied and he was diaganosed with Fibrosarcoma.  The vet advised against surgery, partly due to his age, and partly due to the fact that this cancer is rarely, if ever, curable.   It's now May 5th, and he has huge tumours all over his body..some of them 15 to 20 cm in size.  He's lost a ton of weight, energy is zero, food intake next to nothing.  I imagine in the next couple of weeks we will be making a heartbreaking decision.  I keep thinking if maybe we got to it earlier, it may not have spread.   Good luck.  
My kitty Tani, 14 1/2 yrs old was diagnosed with fibro sarcoma, on lower back, after needle biopsy by local vet mid- January 2013 and she offered to do the surgery. It was still small (olive size), but within weeks was quickly increasing in size. I decided to immediately take my sweet little furry to the Animal Medical Center in NYC, where I consulted with a top-notch oncologist (Anne Hohenhaus) who after CT scans and other tests, recommended surgery as well.  I had the surgery performed by an accredited and licensed surgeon, at AMC and they were able to remove the entire tumor and get clean margins. We're only 2 months since surgery, but my baby has fully recuperated and is her sweet loving self again, good appetite, playful...and we go back for our first check-up in @2 weeks. In view of the grueling protocol required for radiation follow-up and my kitty's age, I decided against that...but we will soon be seeing a holistic vet to continue giving her the best possible chance at long-term survival.

Needless to say this was a costly proposition, but I would do it again, in a heartbeat, to give my kitty the fighting chance she deserves. I'm not in a position to judge, but I do believe that our well-intentioned local vets, have no place performing these kinds of surgeries. If you were diagnosed with an aggressive, cancerous tumor would you want your primary care physician operating on you in the back room of his office...or would you choose an experienced  and credentialed surgeon, at one of the big cancer centers/hospitals, to do that job?

If you learn that your kitty has been diagnosed with a fibro sarcoma run, don't walk to the nearest and best animal hospital you can find...one with vets who have credentials in cancer treatment. This is not a job for your every day vet, who may be good for a spay/neuter surgery, but not specialized enough to do the best job when it comes to something as serious and complex as this. I think many may recommend euthanization because they are not up to treating cancers like fibro sarcomas, and believe that "it's not worth the cost to try to prolong the life of a cat, because there are so many out there in need of a home and you can get another one". They are often very pragmatic about these matters, since they are putting animals down every day, for one reason or another, and in many cases have become hardened and do not consider the bond we may have with our beloved pet.

Use your heart and best judgment to decide what YOU want to do for your kitty and don't let yourself be swayed by easy and quick pronouncements. If you can, seek a second opinion if you're not happy with the first..but try to get an "expert" opinion whenever possible...eg; at a Vet School in a University...their profs are training others and if you're lucky may be able to help.
Hi, this is my first time here. It helps to know that I am not alone in this and that others understand what I am feeling. About 3 months ago, I took my Rowdy in for her yearly vaccines, and to have this lump on her back leg looked at. I noticed it a month prior, it was soft but didn't slow her down. The vet looked at it and said Oh my, this does not look good. After x-rays and blood work she said it's a tumor brought on by over vaccinating my indoor cat. She then tells me I didn't need to give her all those vaccines since she never goes out. My jaw hit the floor. I looked at her and said your telling me that all those vaccines you tell me every year that she needs, she really does not, that it is all about the boss' billing? She then tells me that we need to amputate her leg. And keeps going on and on about how we need to do it now. So why should I trust them now? they are the ones to put my girl in this position. So I told her no, not going to cut her leg off. She made me feel like the worst kind of kitty mommy because I would not agree to the amputation. I read and read and read everything I could find. It all said that even if it was caught early (like marble size not ping pong size) if the leg is cleanly amputated and she goes through chemo that there is still a 62% chance that it will return and only a 30% chance that I will have her for another year. This vet did not mention chemo or any thing other than amputation. I know my Rowdy, she would not do well with only one back leg. Her front claws were removed when she was very young so that would leaver her only one paw with claws. I think what makes me the angriest is that I was not told of the side effects of these shots. I feel that anything that has a life threatening side effect regardless of species, we should be told so that we can make an informed decision. They should not be allowed to put the health of our furry family members in jeopardy so they can make a buck. Now I have the heart breaking decision of having to put my girl to sleep. I have an appointment for a second opinion, but do not hold any hope. She is the last of my original 4. Her sibs are all waiting for her over the bridge, but it doesn't make the decision any easier. I just keep asking myself, if I made the right decision.
I don't know the age of your Rowdy, or what your limitations might be in terms of finances, but if she is still full of life, I would not take that away from her. Cats do fine with 3 legs...declawed or not. You might want to find a top notch oncologist and surgeon and see if they can perform surgery without amputation.
Whatever time you buy for her you will never regret.  Many people have amputations in order to live....why not give your cat the same chance. And BTW, my Tani, passed her first checkup and so now we keep praying and hoping that she will also pass the next one. Best of luck!
Hi, I learned today that my 11 year old cat Miss Allie was diagnosed with Fibrosarcome on her front left leg. Also, found out that her kidneys aren't functioning the way they should be. She is an outside cat, and would never want to be inside. I bring her in my basement at night and she is ready to go out in the morning ASAP. The doctor informed us that removal of her leg was the only option, and she couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't come back somewhere else. I am torn whether or not to remove her leg, and put her at the risk of being attacked by another cat/ dog and not be able to defend herself. Doc also said the outside older cats don't adapt we'll with a leg amputation. If she were indoor, it would be better. I don't know what to do. Any input in this matter will be greatfully appreciated. She acts fine, and I don't know what to do. I am HEARTBROKEN.
I am really sorry to read of yet another kitty with this unfortunate condition...I think you really have to come to terms with IF you opted for this amputation that you also accept the fact that Miss Allie will from that day on be an indoor only cat, you cannot put her thru such as drastic surgery than expect her to fend for herself with only 3 legs...gosh its hard enough for many 4 legged cats to manage...
please I beg you do NOT even consider this surgery if you intend to allow her access to the outdoors again, cats DO adapt to staying indoors...if you wish you can leash train her as I have mine, they learn quickly and than can go outdoors safely with you....never tether alone!!!
good luck and I do hope you take my advice, its offered in the best interest of Miss Allie....♥
A cat at 11 still has, potentially, some good years left, unless however there are mitigating circumstances...like renal failure, although I had a cat with who showed signs of renal disease at 13 and lived to 18, with proper diet and accupuncture. If you opt for surgery, you might want to consider building some sort of outdoor enclosure where she will be able to go out, but still. be safe. If you can buy her a few good years I think you find it's worth it and you will know that you did your very best, just as you would for a child. But above all, if you are able to get a second opinion from a Board certified oncologist, and then, if recommended have the surgery done by a surgeon, rather than your general practitioner vet, you would be doing yourself and your cat a big favor. If you or a family member learned you had cancer and needed surgery would you want your family doctor to do the job?
very good points thank you for weighing in SweetTani....I am very happy to read that Tani is doing well, keep us updated on her♥
Our little girl, Grey One (because she's the grey one and her sister is the Black One.. get it?) just underwent her second surgery for fibrosarcoma removal.  We went to a specialisty Oncologist the second time around, and he believes they got it all, but by millimeters, not centimeters, so he's pretty sure it's going to come back.  I don't think that chemo/radiation is a fiscally responsible option for us, since we've already taken out loans for the surgeries alone.  How to I explain to my husband (who's had her for eleven years) that we shouldn't move forward with additional treatment?  The tumor is a high grade, extremely aggressive cancer, and I'm almost 100% positive it will keep coming back.

At this point I've started researching pawspice and other end-of-life care.  She's still healthy and has great appetite and we know we'll have a good solid 6 months with her without the additional treatments...

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!
My sweet Tani had surgery for firbrosarcoma 4 months ago...they got clear margins and so far so good.  I opted not to do chemo or radiation, because at almost 15 yrs old, my kitty would have been terribly traumatized by having to go for treatments daily, 5x/wk, for a full month and be anesthesized each time...spending a good part of the day with treatment and recuperation. The cost was also, of course, quite high, both financially and physically. I pray she will stay cancer free for a long time to come, and will continue to do periodic check-ups. In case of a reoccurrence, I would probably opt for surgery again...buying her as much good health as I can, for as long as possible. In the meantime, I followd up with a vet at the same Animal Medical Center who practices integrative veterinarian medicine, and I am trying to get my kitty to take the immune system support tablets that she prescribed...a bit of a challenge. I urge you to keep a positive attitude, and when the time comes that you have run out of options, do what needs to be done.
I felt the same way, wanting to go when they do.  I was surprised that I felt different after. I never really lost my cat. she's with me and we're going to be together forever, just not in body right now. it's all  ok.  :)
My Lucy has fibrosarcoma, she is 16 her sister Mandy is healthy, it's so hard to know she has this cancer and the vet said he would not recommend treatment. We just love on her and pray we will know when it's time to let her go. She is eating, great appetite as always:) just do not want her to suffer with pain. Can't believe that no one ever mentioned the possibility of this from getting yearly vaccinations. Just hurts to know when you think you are doing everything to keep them healthy you find out maybe they didn't need to get all those injections. I'm so glad we rescued them from the animal shelter 15 years ago. My husband and I love, love, love, the girls. They have been such a blessing to us. They have always been house cats and have been very clean girls, Can't believe how much love they give us! I just want more time. Blessings
My baby Milo also has fibrosarcoma and we are dealing with his 3rd recurrence (4th round).  He developed a lump at age 11 in his toe, and we had the toe amputated. Got another 2.5 years before a recurrence.  Then a lump in his leg, and not knowing enough at the time, I went for just having the lump removed.  I wish I had known then what I know now.  Less than 6 months late the lump returned and this because he did not recover well from his previous surgery I thought it best to just let things be, until the day before Christmas last year (4 months later), when the nerve pain the lump was causing made him lick his leg until it opened up a wound and we had to make an emergency trip to the vet.  5 days later I made the decision to have his leg amputated, at age 14.  I didn't think he'd fare well, but he's been amazing since then....  Earlier this week I discovered a new lump in his "belly skin/fat".  It wasn't there 2 weeks ago, and already it's the size of an apricot.  He's now 15.  When do you stop?  He's happy, eating, drinking, running around like he's still a kitten.  Do I force another surgery on him to gain more time?  How many times do I do this to him to gain another 6 months or another year?  The decisions are simply heartbreaking.  There is no right answer, other than to spread the message to everyone, no vaccines for indoor cats!  I will make an appointment to see my vet in the next few days and hopefully they will help guide my decision as they have in the past.  He's not ready to go yet.... they told me last year when we did the amputation that he will let me know when the time has come, and he certainly wasn't ready then either.  We'll see what the next few days bring.  I am not ready to let him go b/c he's NOT in any pain yet....  I hope I can be humane when the time does come.  But my problem now is how many surgeries can an old boy take?  He's like a kitten in his actions, but surgery at 15 is a whole other ball of wax.  I'm sorry to hear all of you going through the same thing, but it's nice to know I'm not going through this alone.
Im very sorry for what you and Milo are dealing with....he sounds lke such a sweetheart...and you are trying so hard to keep he with you as long as possible

I am not a Vet, but I do know its nearly impossible to cure fibrosarcomas...even with amputation they usually come back, just in a different spot...so even if you had done the amputation sooner it likely wouldn't have mattered :((

we beat ourselves up so badly with all the Whatifs...we do our best wth what resources and knowledge we have, and trust our Vets to lead us to a right decision.

I STRONGLY agree No vaccines for indoor cats....I do agree with some of the Vets that advocate the first set is all that is needed for life!!

I would be interested to see what your Vet recommends now for Milo, so please keep us posted.
If the new tumors are wide spread in the skin/fat....I wouldn't think removal would be a wise option..
I don't want to scare you but I do know there are times when opening up a tumor to try and remove just results in what is called 'seeding' or in other words 'spreading' the cancer cells.

ask  your Vet if he or she knows anything about LipoC injections to slow the progression
Or I have heard also of low dose Naltrexone(?)

it is very important you keep her diet to a Grain FREE brand, preferably wet food and one the lists protien as the First ingredient, NOT a meat by-product

I wish you and Milo all my best, its not an easy decision to make for anyone of us that love our pets so much♥
A year ago my cat, Asher was diagnosed with Fibrosarcoma and there isn't much info on the internet for us paw-parents.  After the removal of his leg, I decided to make a Facebook page to help other animal lovers decide if surgery or chemo is the way to go.  My page tells Asher's story from the day his leg was removed and up to his 1 year anniversary.  Please check it out and pass the word of this page.  Someone contact me from Australia and she said my page answered all of her questions.  If I can help just one person, my goal was accomplished.  So sorry for those going through this, but there is hope.  www.************/Ashersstory
I lost my sweet kitty to Fibrosarcoma. He was shot up 4 times with the 3 n/1 rabies shot. He developed a hard pointy lump on his right rear leg when he was 10 years old. We took the lump out with wide margins. The biopsies came back clean only to have it grow back again in 4 months. We took out the second lump, and it grew back, so we amputated, only to lose him 7 weeks later to pneumonia. His body filled up with fluid, and we had to put him down. He lasted 7 months. Now it's 3 years later and my other black cat has a large lump on his right rear leg. X rays were taken and their is a very large lump that grew over night. Biopsy next week. I don't have a good feeling. I wish we could start a class action suit against the pharmaceutical companies that are selling this to the Vets. My Vet knew it caused cancer and never disclosed it. When I showed her the lump she said that's from the shot she gave him, it looks like cancer. I wanted to choke her that is how angry I am..Now a second cat is experiencing the same. I have two other cats that received the same shot am I going to lose them all to this? I am so heart-broken. Heidi
just find it more upsetting reading loads of stuff from lay people here
sorry
Hi everyone.  I first would like to say that this forum has been a huge support to me for the past nine months.  THANK YOU all for sharing your personal stories and experiences.  Now, I would like to share my story with everyone.

Little over a week ago, I lost my precious kitty, Fergie, to fibrosarcoma.  I found a small lump on her back in April 2014, and my vet told me that it was fibrosarcoma.  After researching about this cancer, reading many of your stories and a lot of crying (I cried for days), I decided against surgery.  I did not want to put my kitty through so much pain from surgery just to have the tumor back in several months.  Plus she was a very small cat (6lbs) with no sight (she was completely blind...)  I decided that we would spend whatever time left by doing what she loved to do and simply enjoying being together at home as long as we could.  

She did really well for the first six months or so.  After her diagnosis, I immediately changed her food to grain-free + raw food diet based on my friend’s recommendation who also lost his dog to a cancer.  I also started giving her anti-oxidant, cancer support supplement I found online.  Although her tumor progressively got larger over time, she seemed to be in very good spirit with lots of appetite and energy.  Since I work from home, we were able to spend lots of time together; I spoiled her so much by giving her favorite treats, playing outside together (yes, although she was blind, she liked going outside!), sleeping together, doing so many things together…!!

Around October 2014, her tumor started to bleed a bit.  I freaked out since I read many stories on this forum about tumor opening and oozing out.  I took her to the vet and got her anti-inflammatory medicine and pain killer.  I also decided to put a little shirt on her which I made from baby clothes and put a thin feminine pad inside the shirt.  This helped soak up the blood and mess from the tumor and keep her from licking or scratching.  I made her more than 5 shirts with different designs so that she could feel clean and look cute during this tough time.  It did help me feel better instead of looking at the ugly tumor.  Plus she had no problem moving around in a shirt as it only covered her back.  I changed the pad and shirt all the time.   At this time, she was still very active and happy despite of the larger tumor.

Toward the end of the year 2014, she started to slow down little by little.  She did not want to eat as much (she always had an amazing appetite for a 6lbs cat!)  I had to hand feed her often, but when I did so, she did eat.  She also started to hide in a remote spot like behind TV or corner of a room.  But I told myself I would keep her around as long as she can eat and wants to go outside to play.  This went on for a few months.  Although she was not as active as she used to be and her tumor became very large, in my eyes she was still happy and had a quality of life.

In the middle of January 2015, she threw up all the food she ate.  She never did this before.  From that point, I could tell that she was going downhill quickly.  She did not want to be pet, hardly moved (she was always in the same spot, just sitting still for hours) and lost so much appetite.  Her tumor grew to three huge lumps that covered half of her back.  They were getting so large that I was so scared for her.  But she was still purring and showing me some degree of affection, which really confused me.  I thought she wanted to live still and be with us… But at the same time, I could tell that she was in pain and feeling very sick.  Her quality of life was diminishing so fast in front of my eyes.  I talked to my vet about her condition, and she told me that these were signs of pain (not moving, doesn’t want to be pet).   Although we tried another pain medication, Fergie was no longer happy and living like a lifeless sad animal.  I did not want her to go through any more misery and stop the pain before it got too worse so I decided to let her go.  It was the one of the hardest decisions I ever made in my life.

On January 24, Fergie was put to sleep peacefully at her own home, on her favorite sofa.  I held her until the last moment.  I told her that I loved her so much and she would always be my little princess.  It was so hard (still is…) but I am relieved to know that she is no longer in pain.  Although I greatly struggled to make a decision about non-surgery and euthanasia, I do not regret about my decisions at all.  I am really glad that I was able to spend the wonderful last 9 months with Fergie by doing what she truly loved.  I know that she knew she was truly being loved by her mommy and felt that every day.  She is now in heaven free from pain.  I miss her terribly and have been crying every day since she passed, but I know that I will meet her again in heaven.  Until that day comes, I will always cherish our fun memory and keep smiling for her.
well I'm glad this forum was a good support for you, I am just so saddened to read little Fergie has lost her battle.

all the love and care you gave her during her struggles and throughout her life is just awesome, she was a well loved kitty and I'm sure she knew it too.
saying our goodbyes and picking that 'just right' time for them isn't easy, we hate to let go too soon and in many cases perhaps hold on just a little too long. "Grief is the price we pay for love" heard that so many times and its so very true.

that t-shirt and liner pad idea was terrific, thx for sharing that with us.

time will heal, it doesn't feel like you'll ever feel better but you will....slowly. and yes her memory will always be strong in your heart no matter how much time has passed

RIP little Fergie♥

Thank you, Opus.  Your words are so comforting and healing.  
It is amazing how much we get attached to our pets...  Because of her disability, to me Fergie was like a little child I needed to protect.  She was the love of my life and a source of my happiness.  Now it feels like there is a huge hole in my heart, but I know, like you said, this will heal...  I will hang in there and try to keep positive thoughts always.

I really appreciate for all the support you give to people on this forum.  There are many websites which talk about fibrosarcoma, but this is the only place where you get the real stories and genuine support.  It is very kind of you to offer so many comforting words and helpful advice to people who desperately need.  During our cancer battle, I came here many many times and read your comments and other people's stories.  Because of this forum, I think I was able to make the right decision for me and Fergie.  Thank you.

"that t-shirt and liner pad idea was terrific, thx for sharing that with us."
Sure thing!  I bought a whole bunch of baby shirts at Walmart with cute designs.  They are only a few dollars a piece.  I made some adjustment and put them on my girl.  She looked so cute in those shirts!

Hugs to you and everyone who has or once had a special kitty in your life
Oh thank you so very much for all your kind words, today they were especially welcome:)

Yes it's amazing how attached we can get, these kitties are so like our children, so dependant on us for love and care, I can imagine you certainly would feel even closer, more protective of one with a disability like Fergie had. She sounds like she was a sweet little darling.

We love them all but some we just connect/ bond with even more so. I too had that special kitty, his name was Opus, he was a Himalayan..you can see some photos if you go to my profile page. He's been gone nearly 10 years now though the pain is less he never is far from my mind. We struggled through many life changing events together.

I hope you will post some photos of little Fergie, I'd love to see some of her with her cute little t-shirts on

Sending you some (>^.^<) kitty hugs
Hi and thank your for reaching out.  I have been wanting give an update on my Sweet Tani, and today is the perfect day.  We are nearing one year since her surgery for removal of the fibro sarcoma on her back and just today we went for a check-up, with the oncologist at AMC....and got good
news. My fur-baby is doing well with no reoccurrence and we don't have to come back for 6 months. She's now 15 1/2 but still like a young cat, with lots of energy and spunk, still a good appetite, affectionate and playful. I am so happy that I listened to my heart and decided to go for a surgical removal of the tumor, and then no further treatment.  Radiation was suggested at the time, but it would have meant a solid month of treatment 5 days a week and sedation each time.  It was  not an option. Perhaps it was excellent vet care combined with luck, but whatever it was, I urge anyone who is faced with the decision of what to do, to go to the best vet hospital and doctors you can find.  Our local vets are really not prepared to deal with this and so if they offer to do the surgery, just say "thank you" and run as fast as you can to a certified oncologist and surgeon for your next step.  If your child had a cancerous tumor would you want your family doctor to operate?
AWESOME news!!!! Good girl Tani, I'm so happy for her and for you too....not often we get good news under this thread, im just thrilled

You are so right, it takes a good oncology surgeon also a lot depends on location of tumor and of course how much it has seeded out before the surgery, means a thorough investigation and honest talk with surgeon before any decisions are made.

PLZ keep us all updated occasionally, it's such a help to many who come to this forum searching for help in their decision.....PLUS we want to know how little Tani is as well

Sending her our love and hugs....keep it up baby girl<3
Hi Opus,

I added a photo of Fergie in a baby shirt.  I made it as my profile photo.  
I tried seeing your photo by going to your profile, but I was not able to see any photos of our kitty.  : (

Fergie is absolutely adorable......what a sweet little face and that tshirt just makes her look like a little baby doll doesn't it.
Strange you couldn't see any of mine, accept my friend invite that may work. Go to my profile page and they should show up:)
Thx for sharing Fergie with us
Hi Opus88,

I haven't been on here since I posted back in October about my baby Milo, who unfortunately I had to let go just 2 days before Christmas.

Thank you for your kind words back then, and I just wanted to give you the update. (which of course with fibrosarcoma is never good in the end).

We went to the vet within a few days of my finding his new tumours and they did X-rays and felt the tumours were outside the abdominal cavity and very easily removed.

1 week later he was in surgery, but unfortunately they found a new intra-abdominal lump the size of an egg (that wasn't there the previous week), and they closed him up without removing the tumours.

Toughest day of my life, prior to the day I had to say good-bye.

The guilt I had for putting him through a surgery that essentially was just a waste and something extra he had to go through when he was already terminal was something I had a hard time getting over.

But we had almost 2 months together after that and he was spoiled beyond belief in that time frame :)  (He was always spoiled....but it was all wet food all the time, and hours spent playing in the backyard and doing anything he wanted).

He was 15, he had a very good, very long life and I know he loved me so much and he was my baby.  We were both so lucky to have each other and now his brother and I must go on without him and it's very tough for both of us.  His brother Simon has become a huge sweetheart, whereas before he was never much of  a cuddly cat.  But he misses his brother and is lonely now, so it's nice to have Simon's companionship.  It's been healing for both of us to be together and grieving together.

It's been 3.5 months since I said good-bye, but as I'm writing this I'm bawling my eyes out.  I haven't cried over him in a while.

Thanks again for your kind words, and thanks to this community for the support and the stories and knowing I wasn't going through this alone.
sorry I'm so late commenting on your post, its been a busy week. I am so sorry to read about dear little Milo and just before Christmas, that must have been a sad Christmas for you without him

its so hard to say goodbyes, never be ashamed of the tears...these babies have been our little loving companions by our sides for along time and its only natural to grieve their passing

I'm happy you still have Simon to love and keep you company, yes he is missing Milo too:( you both can grieve together still. you are right, you are fortunate to have one another at this time.

Milo had a long wonderful happy life with a loving mommy, yes he was your baby!!! he'll always be with you in spirit and in your heart forever.

RIP little Milo♥ and (((hugs))) to your sad mommy

I'm so confused, my nearly 17 year old cat has a lump. The Vet was not able to determine if it was cancer looking at a sample he took so he sent it to a pathologist who could not tell if it was reactive cells (could be from another cat or getting punctured by some type of animal) or fibrosarcoma which looks similar. The Vet says he thinks it's fibrosarcoma since she doesn't go outside. He says I will need to get a biopsy to find out for sure. Did anyone get this diagnosis not due to a vaccine? Also did anyone do treatment on a cat around 17 years old or older?
hi fibrosarcomas can be NON vaccine related....they are tumors which can develop anywhere, not necessarily cancerous.
You have to go with what your gut tells you, but good for you for looking for answers...everywhere!!!
We are not Vets here only pet parents. I will give you my opinion only...IF it is cancer by doing a biopsy this will cause it to 'seed' out/spread. And if you find out it is cancer are you prepared to put her through surgery to remove this tumor?

Since your kitty is 17 years old, thats a very advanced age to go though the trauma of surgery and possible chemo. it would be like an 80+ year old human having this treatment.

Some cats do very well with all that,  but if it is malignant and she does have the surgery to remove it, that likely still only gives her a prognosis of another year to 18 months.

She can be kept comfortable and still do relatively well for abt the same length of time even without drastic measures...but again that is just my own opinion.

good luck and please keep us informed....sending some prayers for her.♥
Thank you so much for your prayers and feedback, I wish I had seen your reply sooner! I had no idea biopsies caused spreading, but I really trust my vet so I let him go through with it on my baby. The pathologist report came back as a fibrosarcoma as he had feared. The report said the kind of fibrosarcoma is associated with vaccines, although the vet said that is not necessarily what caused it. Kitty hasn't been vaccinated in years but apparently the tumors can show up years later. His thoughts about treatment seemed to be aligned with yours, he says treatment can be hard on the cat and said if I did surgery it would have to be done wide and deep. I'm not sure if I would be able to live with myself if Kitty didn't make it through surgery. Anyway, Vet advised I see a cancer specialist.The Veterinary Cancer Group in Los Angeles seems like the best option. It got some rave reviews on yelp but also some scary ones! I am also not prepared financially to spend the thousands of dollars that seems to be necessary for treatment, but I would sell my car to save my cat if it was possible! I have an appointment on Friday so hopefully I will get a lot more answers and some type of hope. My vet did say it's possible it could be slow growing tumor, in which case it may not necessarily be what she loses her life to. Thank you so much and if you happen to know any renowned places besides The Veterinary Cancer Group in the Los Angeles/Southern California area, or any other tips I'd really appreciate it!
I recently found this thread and thought I'd throw my story into the mix.

I first noticed a lump on Piper's chest around October 2014. I thought, mistakenly, that it as a cyst and let it go. It got gradually bigger, then appeared smaller, then bigger. I got concerned last month that it had grown so much and took her in to see the vet, coincidentally on her 7th birthday. He did a FNA, thinking that it was a mast cell tumor. He couldn't get a definite diagnosis so sent it off to a pathologist. A few days later, I got the call that it was not a mast cell tumor but fibrosarcoma. The vet said in order to get a better picture of how far advanced the cancer was, he would need to do a biopsy and then he could remove the tumor was large margins. He did tell me that there was a chance of occurrence but didn't go into specifics.

After doing my own research about both biopsies and the tumor excision surgery, I decided against both. Beyond being far beyond my financial means (both the biopsy and excision would be close to $2000, just the excision was $1400), I didn't want to put Piper through such a grueling surgery only for the cancer to likely come back weeks or months later. Had it been a situation where one surgery would have cured her completely, I would have been much more open to pursuing that route.

So I decided to keep her comfortable as long as I could. This week, less than a month after diagnosis, the tumor ulcerated. I called the vet and they said it was either truly ulcerated OR the FNA had introduced bacteria and was now infected. I cleaned the tumor site for a few days after the FNA to avoid this and it was fine for weeks so I'm not sure if it's infection or ulceration. For now, she is getting antibiotic ointment. The tumor continues to get bigger and is almost completely hairless now. It still is not super huge, maybe the size of a large grape but even in the past 3 weeks, it has grown.

Piper doesn't seem to know that she has anything wrong with her. She is just as energetic and vocal as ever (she's a tortie with Siamese somewhere in there--she is LOUD). Her appetite has decreased only slightly and that could be due to switching her immediately to grain free food. She has started hanging out under the couch, which is unusual as she is usually a 'tree dweller'. But to anyone besides me, she would seem to be acting completely normal.

I know that I won't hang on to her for too long. I'm a full time pet care provider and have seen many of my clients hang on to their animals beyond the point of it being humane. I don't judge them at all--I realize how incredibly hard it is to say goodbye. Rather, I'm afraid that I will let her go too soon. Even now it's hard to reconcile the fact that she is terminally ill with the fact that she is still bright eyed and busy tailed for the most part. I'm afraid that I will say good bye too early when she might have had another good week or month in her. On one hand, I will save her from any suffering but on the other hand, I'm robbing her of that extra week/month. I'll be out of the country for two weeks in October and if she's still with us, I'll be terrified that something will happen while I'm gone and she'll die without me by her side. Although from reading everyone's stories and the way things have progressed in the past 3 weeks since diagnosis, I don't even know if she'll be here come end of summer.

I've emailed my vet to get more information about a home visit for when it's her time to go. If I can avoid it at all, I'd like her to not be at the vet's office. I want her to die at home, in familiar environment. I hope that it will also help my 3 other cats understand that she isn't coming back if they are able to be there, rather than just whisk her away in a carrier never to be seen again.

Because of the tumor site and the fact that Piper hasn't had any vaccinations since she was two years old, I don't believe it is vaccine related. She was a failed foster who I took in when she and her siblings were 12 weeks old so I emailed the woman who has her sisters and told her what was happening. I hope that Piper's sisters don't meet the same fate. I have 3 other cats and am keeping any eye out for any strange lumps or bumps. I'm not sure if the outcome would have been different had I taken Piper in when I first noticed the lump but I feel terrible that I dismissed it as a cyst.

I got a lot of great information out of this thread, thank you to everyone who shared their story. It's so unfortunate that we have to make the hardest decision for our pet, but please remember to cherish the time you have with them and keep their best interests at the forefront.
Not sure what you decided to do...but hope that your kitty is doing better and that you consulted with an oncologist which is what I did with my 15 yr old cat...who had been diagnosed with fibrosarcoma. My kitty had the surgery at the Animal Medical Center in NYC, and fortunately they were able to get clear margins.  I decided against follow-up treatment of any kind (chemo/radiation) and here we are 16 months post-op and she is still doing well, with no reoccurrence (paws crossed, prayers said every day)!!!

Biopsies are usually necessary to determine the nature and extent of the disease.
From the Mayo Clinic website:
Myth: A needle biopsy can disturb cancer cells, causing them to travel to other parts of the body
Truth: For most types of cancer, there's no conclusive evidence that needle biopsy — a procedure used to diagnose many types of cancer — causes cancer cells to spread.

She is still playful, happy, sweet as ever....
I wish you well!
Viewing 201-247 comments:
krichar commented on photo
1 hr ago
IBKleen Please see football post on... Comment
pb95 commented on photo