Cats Community
gel like substance

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

gel like substance

hi, my female cat is 17 years old.  recently she has a clear gel like substance coming out of her mouth.  we had her to the vet, where he looked thouroughly in her mouth, found nothing.  she also had blood work done, it came back everything normal.  she is eating, slightly, and pretty inactive, cause of age im guessing. any ideas as to what this substance is?  could it be dangerous to me and my family?  please advise.  thank you.
I have a point of sympathy, we lost our Kessie girl to lymphoma at the beginning of June.  I still start tearing up when I find something that reminds me of her.

See if you vet recommends the "Pill Pocket" treats as a way of disguising the medecine. If it is a liquid, try and get the dropper into the side of Sammie's mouth near the molar, she'll swallow and not spit it out or breath it in.  When giving Kessie her meds, my wife or I would kneel astride her, from the back, and pet her to calm her (which, luckily, she was naturally)...your vet, again, will likely have good advice.

Gook luck helping Sammie, it IS hard seeing these little friends in distress.

And with your husband, try and talk about the feelings, that helped my wife and I.  Kessie was much more her kitty.  Something that helped her also was to write a long letter to Kessie about her feelings about Kessie, her illness and the eventual grief we had over not being able to make her better.

Take care - Pip
no certainly wouldn't be anything that could possibly pose a danger to anyone.....its likely a bit of mucous or spitting up of something/additive in her food. nothing to be concerned abt especially since all bloodwork has been clear. Did the Vet also check her teeth good? :)
thanks so much for getting back to me.  we took her in again today. we are very nervous as we have lost both a cat and dog after 15 years. was very, very hard. so, we are extra cautious about sammie.  the vet checked her again and found nothing wrong.  he said she's just aging.  but thank you so much for putting us at ease.  have a wonderful and blessed day!
Could it possibly just be drool?  My Oliver drools on occasion and it's just clear "stuff" coming out.  I would think your vet would have thought about that though. ????
hi, just an update, i took sammie to another vet, where he looked in mouth lifted her tongue and there it was, a marble shaped tumor.  she has cancer.  so i thought you would be interested in what it was that was wrong.  but thank you for responding to me before. take care.
oh I am so sorry for this sad news, your poor little girl. are you considering removal or chemo therapy or do you feel she is too old a gal to put through all that? I hate hearing abt cancer in our loved pets, its just such terrible news to have to hear. keep us updated we are here for you♥
hmm. cant sleep. lashed out at my husband yesterday. trying to keep it together.  cant give sammie her medicine she wont let me and i am inexperienced.  will see if the vet can show me how.  its now 3:20 in the morning.  having coffee. thinking.  well, will keep updating as time goes by, have a great day!

Take care - Pip
hey, thanks so much. some bits of great advise. thanks again. you know, we had 3 animals just a few months ago.  all for about 15 years. our cat, darrin (hence, we named our kittys Samantha and Darrin, hehe), Darrin was very very close with my husband and vice versa, my husband never had a cat before, so, darrin was more like a human friend.my husband would talk and darrin would listen. mind you, no one else was ever around.   and darrin would paw at his arm as if to say, i hear ya, now pet me. there were so many things darrin would do to get attention. he was very very special, and he went very very fast. we dont know till this day what the real reason was.  i have since changed vets.  a month after that we had to put our dog down. but we saw that coming. he was a sheperd/chow. and his back end was shot.  and all i have left is sammie which is more my kitty.  i want to rescue a dog, not a puppy, as they seem to go pretty fast. but a dog, who might be put down cause no one wants them. from a shelter. but, my husband insists NO MORE ANIMALS.  Bah.  anyway he was very attached to them, as he has pictures of them in the kitchen and says good morning to them every day.  here i am already taking your advice about writing something down about them, and i apologize for this being so lengthy. but it helps. thanks again for your reply.  have a great and blessed day!
See, writing helps, doesn't it?

I write poetry and an trying to compose one to every kitty I've ever had in my life.