Cats Community
got bitten by a stray cat

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

got bitten by a stray cat

ok i was just outside in my backyard and i saw this cat so i started playing with it and all of a sudden this cat attacks me and bites my hand. its not very deep but could i get any infection or on a serious note a deadly disease like rabies from it? i washed and everything and once again its not deep. Its kind of like a paper cut. i dont know whos cat it was so i have no idea if the cat was like healthy but it seemed that it belonged to someone and was healthy..like i tired feeding him so meat and it seemed full and didnt eat anything..but well i have seen this cat at 3-4 am walking around so i dont know but seemed healthy..and i didnt see any sign of like saliva and foaming coming out of its mouth..i called my vet. (i have a dog) and he said that i should go to hospital but honestly like if i go to hospital and show them the bite i think they would laugh at me..like its more like a paper cut than a bite...
How long has it been since you've had a tetanus shot? If it's been more than 5 years you may want to go ahead and get a tetanus shot. Wash the area and disinfect it and keep a watch on it. You may need antibiotics as well.
I think you should go and have it checked right away.  You never know what diseases stray cats can carry.  And, so I would follow your vets advice.  Good luck!
im not sure..but the bite looks like a paper cut like it doesnt even look like a bite..i dont know..my main concern is rabies and the cat didnt seem to have rabies..if i go to the ER i would have to wait 3-4 hours to be seen by a doctor..i washed three times in 3 hours..i rubbed it with alcohol twice..and now i put some tree tea oil on it..
If you are concerned, go in to see your doctor. The size of the wound is immaterial, it is whether anything infectious was transmitted.

I have been bitten and scratched by strays a number of times. I have yet to have picked up anything  (except scars), but there is always a chance.
well i made a visit to the ER and registered..its probably going to take 4 hours so i just came back home and i will go back in 4 hours..i dont know if there are any side effects to rabies shots..i dont want to take them if the cat wasnt infected but i guess there is no way to know for sure..
well the put me under treatment for rabies and i just got 3 shots and have to get another 4..im pretty sure the cat didnt have rabies but its always good to play it safe..rabies is a deadly disease..so for future reference if anyone gets bitten by cat i suggested you wash the area of the bite for 10 minutes with soup..then rub alcohol on it..and if you have tea tree oil thats the best..it stops the cut from getting infected..and i suggest you make a visit to the hospital and get a tetanus shot and go under treatment for rabies if you dont know who the cat belongs too..thanks everyone for posting by the way

First question is... do you live in a neighborhood where neighbors let the cats roam freely?

I do, and the cats to roam freely...all of them ( I swear they have a secret society). My cats are all kept up do date on their shots, as are the other cats.

But as others have said, if you are concerned then get checked by a Dr.  

As far as rabies Rx goes, that is up to you and your Dr to decide.
Yowch. Well, they took it seriously, that's for sure.
yea they did...but its always good to be on the safe side...there is no side effects to the vaccine so why take the risk..its a fatal disease
Risa615 commented on photo
14 mins ago
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
KTowne commented on photo