Cats Community
help with megacolon

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

help with megacolon

Hello!  I've an 11-year old long-haired feline who has megacolon.  We move around quite a bit, and I have had to shuffle him between vets, and am about to shuffle him again.   Four years ago, just a few months before we were about to move overseas, he developed a constipation problem.  His American vet gave him an enema and put him on stool softeners to be used only occasionally.  Once we moved overseas, he had several enemas before his vet put him on liquid paraffin every day.  I used to take him for a check every two weeks too make sure that the paraffin was working, and for the most part, it did, like a charm; only very occasionally, the vet would determine that he also needed a micro-lax (which I gather is like a glycerin suppository), and that would sort out any problems--this regime worked for several years.  Still, periodically my vet would mention the prospect of a colonectomy--apparently, from x-rays, he did not absolutely have megacolon at the time, but it was arguable that the colon was at least a bit stretched. This vet had performed many colon-ectomies and assured me that there were few side effects and that it would instantly solve the problem.  I debated this possibility for a long time, and then eventually I needed to move back to the states. Unfortunately, when I moved back, I had to leave my cat for six weeks with my mother.  She says she gave him his paraffin every day (I am sure she did), but when I got home there was an obvious and critical problem.  I immediately called a family vet (literally, a family member who is actually a very well-respected vet).  This vet argued that a colon-ectomy could have serious side-effects, and that I should try to regulate the problem by other means if I could.  This made sense, since I rarely got a negative report during my cat's fortnightly checks overseas; I probably could get the problem under control.  Anyway, I brought my cat in to this vet's hospital, where an x-ray was performed. This time, the diagnosis was definately megacolon. They gave my cat an enema, and tried him on lactulose, since paraffin is not commonly prescribed in this country. This was about six months ago.  Since that time, I have had to switch back to paraffin (I order it from overseas), because the lactulose did not seem to work at all.  I have to say that he seems worse.  He struggles obviously and often in the litterbox, and at first, I thought it was just a stumbling block, getting used to a new place and regime.  My current vet told me that I could give my cat liquid glycerin suppositories to sort out any immediate problems, which I have to do about once a week or ten days.  I take him in for a check every few weeks or so, but lately (I suspect because the weather has been hot) I have been noticing that he dehydrates rapidly, and the problem arises more frequently--he barely ever goes to the litterbox without a liquid glycerin suppository.  I know his urinating is normal, because I am frequently monitoring his trips to the litterbox.  The last two times I have taken him in for checks, they have given him sub-cutaneous fluids and an enema.  They also suggested that I give him pedia-lyte, which I have been doing, though I confess only occasionally, when his flesh 'feels' a bit dehydrated.  My vet seems to think that it is probably the hot weather, but I wonder.  Tonight, for example, he strained four or five times in the box, so I gave him a liquid glycerin suppository.  He feels a bit dehydrated again. He produced a bit of stool, but then resorted to squatting several times outside the box, in several different places, leaking out drops of liquid feces, and he was also vomiting foam.  He did this last time (about a week ago) as well.  OK, so it has usually been an effect of the liquid glycerin suppository that he vomits afterward--it is not always foam, and the vet said that this was normal.  Tonight, his feces has had a strong odor that he does not normally have--normally (at least for the past six months) his feces has had almost no odor.  I would dearly love to order a full blood work-up, but at the moment I don't feel like I can ask for something that my vet does not suggest.  In a few weeks, however, I will be moving a few hours away for a new job that will last a year.  I will continue to see my current vet periodically (I am likely to be a nomad for at least a few more years, and this vet is fairly close to my parents' home), but I will also find one who is close to where we will be living at my new job.  In a sense, I will be glad to have some fresh tests/diagnosis, but it is also difficult to keep moving between vets. Before I make the switch to another vet, I'd love to have an outside opinion of the matter. I know I will be directed a certain way--but is there something I should suggest--any tests, for example? I worry so much about this problem--I keep thinking that something dreadful is going to happen in-between visits to the vet, perhaps even overnight or something, if I am not astute in my observations.  I also wonder if there is something else wrong with him, maybe contributing to the constipation or else happening as a result of it--I really think that I notice changes in his symptoms, but it is hard to present that case--for example, who cares if his feces has a stronger odor all of a sudden?  Maybe it was something he ate!  I realize that I cannot insist upon having him seen and checked every few days, but the 'system' we have going at the moment just does not seem to be working like when we were overseas--everything just seemed so much more consistent then, and I wonder if that last bout of extreme constipation (when he was with my mother) actually changed the problem or created a new one.  There is just something not quite right. Oh, and I should mention that every vet my cat has seen has tried to teach me to 'feel' for constipation--I am hopeless at this.  Further, I should say that the summer here is much hotter than any my cat has experienced over the past four years, when we were overseas. Thanks in advance for any opinions you may have to offer.
I'm so sorry you and your kitty are going through this.  My cat, Jaxon, is experiencing the very same downturn in his megacolon since he was boarded 3 weeks ago.  I'm being told to aggressively combat it medically, but the Cisapride and laxative seem to no longer be working and he's been to the vet every 4 days, including a surgical consultation.  I'm at my wits (and funds) end.  Have you found someone to truly help you?  
I hope things are going better for you and your kitty.  I was just like you when I was young.  Please don't hate me, but the kitty needs a stable home environment for years without moving around.  I realized that after I had done the same with my 2 cats and finally found a loving, stable home for them to rest out their days.  I now do cat rescue work and only adopt out to people that are not moving around excessively as it really stresses out the animal and causes severe health issues.  The trips to the vet alone are way too stressful.  Cats are calm, peaceful animals by nature and when you disturb that balance, it is going to show up somewhere.  I only hope that you and kitty have settled down and his health has resolved.  Your cat has been a very patient and loving creature to teach you this life lesson to carry with you after he/she is gone.  Bless both of you, you are in our prayers.
While I agree that cats prefer a stable home, I don't think it's fair to blame Clary's moving around for the cat's troubles. My 10-year-old cat has the same medical condition and has always lived in the same quiet, peaceful, loving home. Having been through much of the same ordeal as Clary, I know how hard it is to be constantly taking a cat to the vet and giving it daily medications. Clary deserves respect, not blame. My cat is at the vet's today being cleaned out again, and we are contemplating the surgery, but I will only consider the surgery if it will truly help him.
I read that canned pumpkin is good for constipation in cats and tried it. It took a few tries before my cat actually ate it, but he did and realized it was good.
When my cat started eating canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling his stools completely changed. They became wet and soft and easy to pass.  I added it to his wet food and added extra water. Now he eats canned pumpkin & water as a snack and loves it.  It did stop working for him after about a year though and now he is battling megacolon again.

My 5-6 year old boy was diagnosed about two years ago with megacolon. At first all he needed was extra fiber added to his diet, not he is taking 250-300mg of stool softener a day, extra fiber added to his food, Laxatone and all the canned pumpkin he wants. This was working wonderfully up until two months ago.  I tried Cisapride in multiple doses, but that gave him severe cramps and didnt seem to help him poop.  He has been given enemas from the vet that work well, and I've started giving him enemas when I see that he isn't pooping, but how much is too much? He is a happy cat and never growls or claws when getting an enema. It seems like megacolon can be treated, but suddenly everything that has been working stops abruptly.

I dont think Tribbles was "blaming" everything on Clary's moving around, but only suggestting another possible cause and opinion; and thats what Clary wanted was our different opinions or suggesstions. I agree 100% with Tribbles as my daughter, who lives in Texas, has the same problem with her Siamese of 11 years. Whenever she and her hubby, who is a doctor, take their trips to places for his medical conventions,their cat gets this problem, without question! Stress is an emotional problem for many diseases--human and animal ! Its a point well taken and it doesnt seem like anything else has worked--so why not consider this? Sometimes vets will put the cats on a small dose of Prozac when their owners go away. Maybe you could suggest this to your vet Clary?
My cat has the same problems, also Siamese,male, 13 yrs old, this is the typical for this I read, older males
  The lactulose helped at first and he was getting along well, with that and changing to all wet food and i got one of those little water fountains for pets that keeps their water flowing and they love it,
  so he drinks more water I also use filtered water from the tap, always have.

The lactulose stopped working and just seemed to make him lay around feeling bad , so after reading on line about the liquid glycerine, I tried getting a suppository in him with no success,
  I then got the baby lax, it is liquid glycerine in a prefilled prelubricated little plastic bulb/bottle with a tip for inserting, it holds 3ml which is ok for a cat according to the Veternarian Merck manual on line although they recommend soap suds, YUCK.

In fact it seems like they reccommended way more than that and I felt it highly wrong the amount they recommended.

A couple of weeks ago he got stopped up again and we had to go to the er on the weekend, they cleaned him out under anesthesia like my vet did the first time he got sick and i didn't know what was wrong,

well they put him on Cisapride and it has done nothing for him.

We had a big episode this weekend having to use the babylax.

So we have decided to use a baby lax once a week before he gets into trouble, because by the time they are crying not able to poop it is really hard to give an enema.

I use a tiny bit of oragel to numb his tush.  

I think this will work , he has vommited foam a little with the baby lax, I get cvs brand, but I think if we do this before he gets so stopped up he prob won't vomit.
  I will try the pumpkin too.
Don't feel bad at the feeling part.  I have medical training and I could tell how large and how much stool was there once I knew what his problem was,
but this last time the er vet said his stool wasn't real big and round cos I told her I feel him every day and I didn't feel much stool but he obviously couldn't poop and getting very ill that is why we took him and she said that his stool wasn't very big but it was very dry.

I don't think soap suds enemas are good .  I remember reading years ago the medical prof didn't recommend them anymore cos they found they could actually do harm to the colon, what I don't remember but i never dreamed that was what my vet used but the er doc said that is what they use , it must be a special soap, but the Merck manual even reccommended it .

Now the enema is a two person job unless your cat is awful good.

I think with our new plan after a while he won't try to get away , I put xtra vaseline on the tip, and the tip looks enormous.

I only put it about half way in but if you feel no resistance it is oK to put a little farther.  You want to gently but firmly put it in and angle down a little towards the tummy as thier colon slants downward.  Hubby holds him at the shoulders and i wrap one arm around and under his back legs and hold up against me or he wriggles real hard.

You squeeze the little bulb and the liquid goes in don't worry you can't even get all of it in.

I always hold him in my arms afterward to keep the liquid in as long as you can even if it is just a minute. And of course lots of baby and love talk and I'm so sorry and many kisses on the head.  Ha , he is not buying it too much for long cos they have to go.

Also I put him in the bathroom where the litterbox  is and close the door, he hates it but if I don't he poops all over the house.   I must say I am happy even when he did this.

I have heard of another surgery where they widen the pelvic outlet so the poop can come outeasier, but I haven't researched it well yet.

A few times when he has hurt his tush by straining and after he had his first treatment at the vet I used a little prep H on it, she gave me ointment and said it would do better but it didn't do a thing for him.
Saline is also recommended by Merck Vet manual, but a BIG important thing is to warm it!  I put the baby lax bottle in a cup and run hot water on it a few minutes.
I hope some of this was helpful, your pumpkin info was good, I had forgot about that and also the pedialyte in the water is an excellent idea!  
Stress is related but I think they get stressed form the first time they have a difficult time and they avoid going to the box and as they continue to do this and keep getting constipated with us none the wiser it backs up and causes the colon to extend and eventually end up with the megacolon.  So I talk soothingly to Simba when he is trying to poop, and PRAY,  I really think the pro active glycerine enema is going to be our answer.
We have decided on Thurday nights.
Well, I am excited , right after posting I started researching again and the very first article is fantastic and the best I have read so far.

This is by a vet who's credentials are listed at the beginning and to say the least , I AM IMPRESSED!!

I am going to post the link , but I do want to add that he has charts of meds and enemas and all thier pros and cons,

he lists Cisapride but that it does'nt start working for 1-2 wks!!!! NOBODY TOLD me this! Not the er doc,not the pharmacist either!! but he mentions the exspense of it, it has to be compounded and one months supply cost me 40.00, now my cat is worth that to me!!  If it works, but get this, he lists Ranitidine/Zantac and it that it has good safety margin,  well, I have a cofession to make.  I have a colon condition, life long and it causes chronic constipation, yes, it is easy to say on line :)
Lets just say all the fiber,water , laxitives, ect. don't do me much good.

Well, I hadn't had heart burn or indigestion problems in years but a few months ago this started up. well I got The walmart Ranitidine for it, amazingly after about 4 days of using this I started having normal BM, it took me a while to put two and tow together then I read on line in another article that this had helped in lab tests but not tried in cats yet.   NONE of the vets had even heard of it, well, it only takes it 12-24 hrs to start working acording to this drs chart.  Also the reason cisipride wasn't given to start with was it was off the market temporarioy, now I find out why in this article, becauseit was causes cardiovascular problems!  Well the first er doc told me she heard a heart murmur in Simba!  of course that was before he started the cisipride.  but he shouldn't be taking it I think after reading all this, and ranitadine is safe so guess what?   Yes,

please read this article, it is so good and God bless and I pray all our kitties are well soon!

http://www.theveterinarian.com.au/clinicalreview/article757.asp

I checked the link to see if it works and it does but it takes you to the main web site page, wow.

the article is down the page a litte,

The Management of Constipated Cats. by Darren FOster,
One more link, it has a lot of good info too for cats and costipation.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=constipatedcats
OMG i am sooooooooooo sorry 2 hear that!!!!!!!!! :'( my kitty went 2 the vet this morning cuz he was constipated and he was diagnosed with megacolon and will stay there for a couple days. i'm crying my eyes out at the moment. my cat means the world 2 me. i'm drivin up there 2morrow 2 c him and talk 2 the vet. i will pray for you and your lovely cat. i ask for everyone kindly to please pray for my cat. i can't handle this. i'll do absolutely anything to keep him alive. thank you :) God bless you all!!

*xoxoxoxo*
I've been following this thread and been fairly fascinated. I've never had to deal with a megacolon issue to this degree personally, and was impressed by the amount and variety of helpful info in it.

I still shudder at the concept of giving a cat an enema. I think I will call for the 49th Paratroopers to come in to handle it...or perhaps SWAT. I'd think it would require lots of body armor. :)

I don't know if this will help anyone but as dry stool from lack of hydration is a major contributor, I've taken kitty's who seemed to be starting to have this issue and put them in a seperate room with wet/moist food, water...and a humidifier on VERY high (I'm talking, you get dew break in the room in the morning).

I'm not saying how helpful it is, but after a few days of this things seemed to settle down some. Perhaps it was just a coincidence and the diet alone cleared up the issue, but there ya go!
What I learned since my last comment in November is that a heating pad under a light blanket will go a long way toward providing more comfort, particularly when lactulose is given (as it makes the kitties crampy).  My cat now goes right to the spot where the heating pad is normally placed after his morning meals.  I'm really happy to say that he's doing much better than he was in November.  It was being boarded that threw him for a loop and that will never happen again for him.  But, generally, the fight for comfort goes on.

Also, I bought a drinking fountain for him and give him bottled water and that seems to encourage hydration.  

I am wondering, though, if any of you can help me on the following related issue.  My cat has been low on energy and I finally realized that anyone under constant meds is going to experience vitamin depletion.  I bought a natural vitamin supplement, but WOW does it seem to constipate him.  Can anyone recommend one that does not?

azb0840...I hope you and your kitty are doing better.
Clary, how is your kitty doing?
What's the make up of the vitamin you got your kitty? If it's high in iron, that's probably the problem. Even people get constipation issues with iron.

the heating pad is a great idea. I've used that around here on occasion for sick cats. Of course, we end up with ten cats all trying to pile on the "warm spot". :)
All I can say is my precious cat "baby" is being given one more chance tonight before they put her down tomorrow.She has had megacolon for quite some time and we have done everything to no avail.It is so heartbreaking to see a sick,harmless cat.
  Last month,the vet removed all the stool from her colon.Naturally she had a general anesthesia.We finally got her back home to the point where she was eating on her own and was very happy but the same thing is happening again and this time,it is bad.
  I wish anyone with this problem with their cats all the luck in the world.It broke my heart.
Anne
Anne, I hope it works out for the best. i'm sorry to here your baby is going through these troubles. Hopefully, you'll have a small cat sized miracle between tonight and tomorrow.
Our cat went through the same probs. We were desperate.
We tried everything.
Then we increasd lactulose to 10 ml a day as opposed to 3-4 ml a day
it was a miracle, he started going.
Please try it
Our love
Savas, I will check the iron content tonight. Thank you for your suggestion.  

Anne, did your baby make it?  I hope so.

I forgot to note another thing that is helping tremendously. A calendar.  I posted a calendar on the fridge and chart Jax's 3x/day cisapride; the day, time of day and amount of lactulose that is given; and his condition that day (signals, behavior, appetite, etc.).  I figured out his distress signals to me--peeing on rugs (thankfully not the carpet), yeowling loudly in the hallway, butt protrusion--and that every other day of laxing him works best (but sometimes more frequently dependent on his symptoms).  It has helped us deal better and more preventatively with the megacolon.  I'm happy to report that Jax has not needed a manual evacuation or enema since December!  I'm sure he's happier about that. :)  I attribute that to the calendaring.  

Oh, and when Lactulose makes kitties' stomachs too upset to eat, baby food will get them eating again.  Beechnut seems to have the cleanest ingredients.  I also give Jax baby food when he seems particularly constipated and it seems to help.

Good luck to all of us and our babies.

Oh, and no dry cat food!
our 12 year old had to have feces removed by surgery. Nothing worked then we started  10ml lactulose a day and he starrted going every day. We went down to 5 ml a day after a while he couldnt go anymore and we added cisapride 2 times a day now he is fine.
But he isnt eating much.
As you seem to be the only person using cisapride with lactulose I know, what do you suggest? Is it lactulose or cisapride that stops his appetite. Do you find they work best when given together?
Ill try the babyfood.
thx
I'm just going to mention (in case I didn't earlier) that anytime we get digestive problems like this around here, we switch our cats over to a milk replacer diet and give them water via feeding syring for a few days to a week. I'm not saying it's the answer now, but I wonder if the high water content from the mix makes a big difference in preventing impaction.

I also spoke to someone on another board who says the feed their cat vaseline and it helps with this problem. I'VE never heard of this; has anyone else?
I had a 13 year old Siamese who has been going through megacolon for a little over 5 years now. Five years ago, my other vet suggested the surgery and it was going to be $1,500, and they couldn't guarantee me his bowels would be normal. So I went to a different vet who recommended other options. I started using the lactulose and the cisapride, but he would throw up the lactulose. It was hard sometimes to try and give him the medicines knowing he hated it - he would go hide as soon as he heard me open the bottles. Anyway to make a long story short, my vet diagnosed him with the start of renal failure six months ago too. The vet told me when I started having to get the enemas more often I would know it was time as it wasn't a quality life for him. Monday, August 18 (day after my birthday) he was impacted again (after a month), so I made the decision to have him put to sleep. I just didn't want to put him through this anymore. Its been so hard.

Flash0817
I'm so sorry, I haven't been on this page since June.  In case you still need an answer, I give Jax 1.5 ml of lactulose approx. 2 hrs before he get cisapride so that it can take effect and get moved out before it can cause unproductive straining.  

I hope the baby food worked for your kitty.  Please update me if you have a chance.
My condolences.  I believe your kitty is doing much better after having crossed the rainbow bridge.
Hi..My cat has been constipated / backed up for over a week. The vets tried to clean him up under anesthetics but this didnt work very well. He is taking lactulose (10ml/day) and cisipride. He had a pelvic reconstruction sergury about 3 weeks ago, so it is very dificult for him to stand up for long periods of time!
Has anyone had a similar situation? just need to hear some comments!
He is home for the weekend and the vet will likely attemp to clean him out manually again on monday!
Hi there!  I've been reading through the posts and have many of the same issues.  To try to quickly summarize, I adopted my cat, Leo, at 6 years old from a shelter.  Just a few months later, he started developing GI issues (intermittent constipation and diarrhea.)  About a year later he became so constipated that I brought him to the vet to clean him out.  It happened three times in a month and a half.  

After seeking a second opinion, talking extensively with the gal who works full time at the shelter and has dealt with this, and numerous food, etc. tests, we came up with the following plan:  wet food only, adding water (he wasn't drinking which was adding to the issue), 1/4 tsp psyllium husk, and lactulose as needed.  Through the years, the lactulose became a regular thing, and I adjusted it as needed.  I have given him maybe four enemas in the last six and a half years (he's 12), and he's never needed to go to the vet to get a "colonic" again.  Until last June.

He was so sick, and took him to a specialist.  Ultrasounds, bloodwork, etc. and we confirmed megacolon, chronic pancreatitis and now hepatic lipidosis (because he stopped eating for several days.)  Also suspected IBD, which is tough to diagnose (basically you rule most everything else out.)  To spare the long story, we've now ruled our intestinal lymphoma, and are 90% sure he has either IBD or some kind of small intestine inflammation.

Why I'm posting:  he flared up again this week.  After a battery of tests, my specialist believes that his colon just is no longer working well, and he requires a partial cholectomy.  We discussed and I am very concerned about the surgery, mostly because they remove just about all of of the colon, and "hope" that the small intestine takes the job of removing fluid as the colon did.  The result will be diarrhea for a period of time until the adjustment happens, then "hopefully" he'll be much happier.  After discussing, we decided to wait a month for him to clear up the issues he's having (pancreatitis),  Then I want to try cisapride for a bit-- she's not comfortable that the usefulness has been proved, but I want to try the "drug of last resort" before going to surgery.

So.. what is your experience with cisapride and have any of you experienced the partial cholectomy?  

I really can't handle seeing my boy suffering any longer, but I am so afraid to cut him open.  Any thoughts, experiences, etc. that you all have would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.. Sam and Leo the 'dude with 'tude'
My Jaxon takes cisapride 3x a day and 1.5 ml Lactulose once every 2 days.  So far, so good...no vet visits since last year (when his doseage was increased).  He has had no adverse reactions to cisapride and visits the litterbox 5-10 minutes after taking it.  Please try it before opting for surgery (the infection rates are outrageous).  Also, you might try providing Leo with a heating pad for uncomfortable days (Jax, however, now loudly complains if it is not in just the right spot everyday, needed or not).

Please see all my previous posts for more tips, including feeding baby food when kitties need to be coaxed to eat (Beechnut, specifically).

Good luck to you, Leo and all your furry friends.
Just to reiterate an earlier post, providing your kitty with oxygenated water encourages them to drink.  Any small fountain will work, but Petsmart sells one, too.  I also give mine bottled water, as they are getting older.
Thanks so much for the information.  Unfortunately, I've tried most of your suggestions with no luck with my finicky feline.  When he's not up for eating, he snubs baby food, a/d, yeast and bonito flakes.  Had one of those fountains and both kitties turned their noses at them.  I do provide filtered water, though he rarely drinks that.

Researched a lot and based on what I read, cisapride seems to work most effectively in early/mid stage megacolon.  Since he's had it for so long now, he's not in this category.  I researched other drugs too but didn't find anything to support their effectiveness.  So, I did decide on the surgery.  Ironically, he became complete impacted and very sick the day before, and was rushed in to the surgeon's.  She did have a slot open and was able to operate on him on the 17th.  I was so scared about the surgery, but to me, it validated the need.

He's been having a tough time of it since but doing ok.  No infection thank God, though very bad diarrhea (expected) and very sore backside.  Had him in for an ultrasound to check things out and it all looks good.  Still not eating and requiring syringe feeding and some subQ fluids.  Met with my IM to discuss diet changes to hopefully start moving him forward to eating and firming up his stool.  Just met yesterday so optimistic that I can get him to a point where he can feel good again.

Roller coaster with many tearful days of questioning if I did the right thing for him, but seeing a light towards the future.  He's getting his "feisty" back, and is acting like himself again.  I continue to monitor him, help him stay clean and work on the feedings.  My vets, petsitters (who are vet techs) all didn't think I had much of a choice, as I just don't think he could take much more of this.  Will keep you posted of his progress!

Thanks again for your thoughts and support.  From what I read this condition does often progress to the point that surgery is needed, however some do well with the medical treatments.  Leo managed well for over 6 years that way, and I'm a huge believer in it if it's still working.  Best of luck with your kitty!
Sam and Leo
I'm glad things are working out for y'all. Keep in touch and let us know how kitty is doing. We're always glad to hear about not-sick cats around here too. :-)
Yea!!  I'm genuinely excited that Leo made it through the surgery and is recovering!  What an emotional ordeal for you, too.  Reading your post was such a relief because I wish all kitties good health and because I know that Jaxon will be in Leo's position at some point.  And, while Jaxon is also FIV+, he's a tough former downtown street walkin' cat so I have high hopes when that time comes.  He just had 13 teeth extracted two weeks ago and so far, so good.

Odd thing is, now my other cat, who had 3 extractions last month, won't eat.  We're in a holding pattern for a few days to see if he'll resume normal eating.  Due to vet bills, I've started calling them my 2-carat cats.

Good luck on the remainder of Leo's recovery and please let us know of his progress.  He gave me, via you, some sunshine today.  :)
Thank you both so much for your good wishes.  From what I've read, I also found that this was a likely progression, but it's always good to stay positive and try your best.  I agree surgery should always be a last option.  Of course, you do want to weight age in (I'd hate to have considered this when he's 15, but I figured that 12 is a ripe young age-- haha!)  

It's been very tough but I'll share the good news with you guys (given the topic of the forum, I suspect you'll "get it.")  A side effect of the surgery is diarrhea (the colon removes water from the stool, so remove the colon and...)  Anyways on New Years Eve day I went into Leo's room to find two formed stools!!  Yippee!  They're not solid, but they are formed now which is wonderful!  He still leaves a trail everywhere his back end hits, but there's hope in sight!  

He's still not eating so I met with another vet (had wanted to "shop around" and got great referrals) to do a feeding tube.  He asked if I was open to try something first, and gave him an antibiotic shot, B12 shot, and prednisolone.  His thought is that Leo's backside is still swollen and probably uncomfortable, so maybe if we treat and make him feel better, he'll eat!  Well, may be delaying the inevitable, but he's been through so much and I'm very reluctant to do any more (however, he's really resisting the syringe feedings so I was running out of choices.  As you know, cats MUST eat.)  If he's not eating by Thursday, we do the tube.  LOVE this vet and very happy to have the option.  I'll be talking to the boy a lot to insist that he eats!

Jaxon's a "scrapper" and I'm sure he'll do just fine.  It's that feisty attitude that I'm convinced helped my Leo pull through all this.  It's definitely been hard and a tremendous amount of work (2-4 hours a day between cleaning the room and him, 4-6 syringe feedings a day, laundry, etc.) but I'd do anything for my boy and am lucky to have some work flexibility.  

The other good news is that my other three seniors (a cat- 15, two dogs 12 and 14) are doing fabulously!  I told them I can only handle one being sick at a time, and it's not their time.  Been trying my best to spread the love and they may forgive me someday.  They all have health conditions but are managed so far with meds.

So.. let the sun shine on!!  I have a really great article about megacolon and treatment options if anyone has an interest.  Unfortunately I can't find the site that I pulled it from but I do have a copy saved.  I can be reached at ***@****  

Best wishes!  Sam

Apparently e-mails are blocked.  Will try one more time:  gonetothedogz8.
And my favorite place for this kind of thing is yahoo.  :o)
Just re-read a few of the postings and wanted to comment a little bit.  Yes, I noticed my Leo didn't drink and that was an issue.  So we cut off all dry food and I added extra water to his wet food (so it looked like a gruel).  That, with psyllium husk (which is a non-wheat fiber you can get cheaply at any health food store) and lactulose did the trick for a long time.  Vaseline is NOT good for them from what I've been told and read.  If impaction is due to hair, then petromalt can be used, but if it's truly megacolon, that likely won't help.  Increasing fluid consumption would likely help though-- unsure about steaming the room but can't hurt.  Pumpkin is great if the cats eat it (mine gets violent and hates it.)  Anything to increase fiber in the stool (unflavored metamucil ) also works.  We managed Leo for over 6 years so it can be done.. not always easy, but with a really dilligent watch on the kitty, it can be done.  
I'm glad to hear that things are looking up. Prednisone is commonly used for most cat irritation/swelling problems; in the short run, it can do wonders.

The only problem is it may take a day or two after the shots to be sure things are going well, as diarrhea is a not uncommon side effect of prednisone. :-/

As to the Vaseline... well...you aren't wrong. Vaseline is like aspirin. Technically, it can be a useful medication for a cat if used properly (by a professional, generally). There are dangers/side effects if used improperly... and I normally don't advise that a pet owner use Vaseline or aspirin (especially aspirin) unless it's an extreme emergency and there is no chance of a vet visit.

So I should have put my usual rider/warning in with that little tidbit, but I see i slipped up on it. Must have been in a rush on that day, so...my apologies. :-)

I find it interesting you mention diarrhea as a side effect of pred, given that it's the preferred ************** from what I've been told for IBD (which causes diarrhea.)  What a big twisty web..  :o)  Thanks for the information!  I had heard vaseline isn't good for them as it's made from petroleum, though sounds like you know more about that than I.  I believe the petromalt or similar ointments are a good alternative and have the same consistency.  No need to apologize!  I've learned so much through the course of this that I wanted to share what I know.. I'm sure different vets (and certainly different "common" folk!) will have lots of opinions regarding treatment options.  It's always good to throw out ideas to be discussed with a vet.

Leo's eating a little bit.. not enough to not need supplemental feedings though.  My gut is telling me that if he munches a little bit tonight, I'll give him another few days to get his appetite up before going the feeding tube route.  He did gain most of a pound so we have a little bit of cushion to work with before he becomes critical.  I hate to do it and risk setting him back (which was the vet's concern.)  I'll see tonight how he does and will decide...

Never a dull moment, for sure!  Sam
Hi, please go look up "petromalt ingredients" in a search engine-you will see that it does contain petroleum/petrolatum.  In fact, ALL "hairball" rememdies contain it!  You will just get charged more because it says it's hairball remedy!  In reality, the hairball rememdy is a fancy word for petroleum. If you do decide to use plain petroleum jelly, look at the ingredients to make sure that's the only ingredient in it.

There are also alternatives to the petroleum jelly, like I've heard of adding oil to their food.  I don't remember what kind of oil, I just remember reading about it.  I don't remember because I've always used the jelly!
It seems like ever since Jaxon's dental appt. a month ago (when they took 13 teeth), the cisapride doesn't seem to be effective.  He normally heads to the litterbox within 5-10 minutes of taking it, but he's not recently.  He has also been constipated and hiding under the bed after he eats half the time.  He was eating a shredded type of canned food, but I have been giving him the meal-type, as well, since I figure it's easier for him to eat.  

I've upped his enulose dosing to almost everyday (1.0-1.5ml).  Still no desired results.  I'm praying this doesn't mean he's no longer responsive to the cisapride.  Can this be a trauma issue, or perhaps related to anesthesia (even though he's had mild ones for the manual evacuations)?  

What are your thoughts on this and do you have any suggestions?  Thanks!
This post might be somewhat disturbing to some but here is my experience with my cat Ollie and his disorder. After learning of his condition and spending thousands of dollars on vet bills and trying every trick in the book (every type of enema,home iv and hydration, diet and foods as well as ancient chineese secrets) there mis no cure for this horrid disease. After a night of suffering I desided to take this into my hands and help the creature out. I found that squeezing the cats stomach to break up the hardened stool works the best. At first the cat was very abbrasive and wouldnt let me hold him and Im sure it was uncomfortable but the only way this cat was going to survive. I wrapped his upper body in a towel so I didnt suffocate him, put him on his back and held his hind legs so I wouldnt get scratched. Applying somewhat hard pressure  to the intestines( like squeezing a pastry bag of some sort) and breaking the stool I manually moved his bowels and there was a pile of hardened cat poop you wouldnt believe came from a cat.. Talk about hard.. You will have to work the initial big clumps in the belly by massaging for a few days and hopefully break it into pieces that will be easily passed when you start squeezing. I was amazed what came out of this poor cats belly. You would have thought it was a rottweiller 150 pound dog. Hard as stone initially. The cat was as good as new after this
Now I do this regularly about 2x's a week and has seemed to cure him. He is playful again, his coat is healthy and he looks great. When he see's me he is cautious but knows that this is the best thing for ham and the after effect is relief.After the initial shock your cat will get used to it and it will save you thousands of dollars and heartache watching the cat suffer because of this horrid condition.
If this helps even one person I will be happy. I know this might seem a bit cruel but the reward is that my cat is still  alive after 2 plus years of doing this and I am about 10,000.00 richer also.
I will be posting a video on youtube with me performing this for all to see.and hopefully helping everyone.
I just wanted to post what has worked for my cat in case it may help someone else out there. I almost had to put him down last week because his constipation got so bad, he has a megacolon and the surgery was not anything I could afford. He has been in emergency twice in the last month. He is taking 2cc's of lactulose 3X per day. 1cc of Cisapride 3X per day. Canned Hills W/D food with about 1Tbsp of canned pumpkin mixed in. None of this was working. I started him on Miralax, I added 1tsp to his food and then added 1tsp to a small amount of pedialyte and fed it to him. Within 24hrs he had a bowel movement. He is a 19lb cat, so probably only 1tsp of miralx for a smaller cat per day, but always ask you vet first. This seems to be working great and I have been able to keep him going everyday and cut out one dose of his meds so he is down to twice a day instead of three times. Keeping up the Miralax and pumpkin. I hope this helps someone out there because I thought all hope was lost and I think the miralax was what did the trick.
First I would like to wish all of you for the best for your beloved companions.  I too am in the same situation with my cat's megacolon.  She first developed it about 2 years ago.  Things were alright for a while she was on cispride and lactolose.  It cropped up again I think due to dehdration although she always had water.  About 2 weeks ago she stopped pooping and eating.  We went to the animal hospital on sat the 14th.  He gave me an IV for her for the weekend and some potassium med since it was low with instructions to bring her back monday.  She is in the hospital as I write.  At first she seemed to stablize.  But now things are much worse.  Her kidneys are shutting down.  One of the things the vet told me was that megacolon and the kidney problem does go hand in hand.  It seems to be a vicious cycle here.  She can't eat, can't have surgery till the blood levels are right or she'll have a stroke or seizure during a procedure.  She can't have the procedure unless the blood levels are normal.  It is cycle the vet said is hard to break.  I have had people tell me shes too old some say oh shes young.  I will be going up to see her today.  It just doesn't look hopefull.  If she survives which doesn't seem likely she definetly will need the colectomy surgery.  I would appreciate any input someone has on that.  My juno is 13.  This has been really a bad year for me.  I also lost two cats one was her sister the other was older to cancer.  
Again, best wishes to all of you and for a speedy recovery of your companions.  Thank you,  
Thanks for this great resource on megacolon in cats. I'm going through it with my 8 y.o. neutered Siamese mix, Leo. Initially we tried lactulose only, and later added cisapride. Right now he is on lactulose, 3 ml/3x a day, and cisapride, 1 ml/3x a day. The medications are not doing much, and in the past two weeks he has been hospitalized twice and given enemas. Two enemas yesterday and no BM, so I brought him home and we are waiting. Ironically he is in good spirits and eating well (wet food only). His normal time between BMs is about a week and although that's way too long he seems to manage fairly well that way.

He is probably not a good candidate for surgery because recent tests uncovered chronic kidney disease - mildly elevated BUN and Creatinine, and the ultrasound showed small, misshapen kidneys. He is a very high strung cat so I don't think I would want to put him through surgery anyway, but I would like to give him as good a quality of life as possible with whatever time he has left.

So here's my question: should I give pumpkin a try? So far, two vets have recommended it and two vets have said absolutely not, it will make it worse because the stools will be bulkier and even more difficult to pass. I'm confused and would love to hear any thoughts about trying it now, after having been through all the medications and what not.

Thanks much, Patty
Here's the story of my Megacolon kitty - maybe after reading this someone might be able to help before I have to do the ugly inevitable.

My guy, Bailey, is a 13.5 year old, diabetic domestic short-hair.  He was diagnosed as a diabetic a little over a year ago and has taken insulin shots twice a day ever since.  This past December he experienced a serious case of constipation which ended up with us in the Vet's office.  There they had to administer 2 enimas to help him go.  

While under the effects of a sedative (administered for the enimas), the Vet was able to do a thorough physical and felt a nodule on his thyroid and he was soon diagnosed with hyperthyroid (after testing for it through the aide of a blood test).  He now takes Methimazole (hyperthyroid med.) and Lactulose (constipation med.).  He's up to as much as 6 ml's of the Lactulose per day in his food.  This seemed to be the trick for the first month, in terms of combatting the constipation...until it happened again about 3-4 weeks later.  At that point, the Vet also added Cisapride to his med. menu and diagnosed him with having Neuropothy of the colon (which he suspected was due to the diabetes) - and he's taking .5 ml's 3x's per day of the Cisapride.  We initially started off with .25 ml's 3x's per day, but had to double it soon enough.  

The Cisapride initially seemed to be doing the trick in combination with the Lactulose, but unfortunately the constipation came back (another 3-4 weeks later).  This time the ER Vet diagnosed him with Megacolon after hearing about his history and taking a scan of his colon.  You see, Bailey's stool is quite soft, in fact it's never been firm any of the times he's needed enimas to go.  His regular Vet agreed after seeing him 4 day's after the ER visit, due to him being backed-up again.  Round 4 of enimas did the trick for cleaning him out (as did the previous 3 times), but my vet and I had "the talk" this time (after all 4 trips to the Vet's office for enimas in 2 months isn't good).

Surgery in his case isn't an option, due to diabetics healing on the slower side and since it's a risky surgery to begin with the two combined could easily lead to him becoming septic or worse it wouldn't work in his case since his Megacolon is an advanced case, according to the Vet.  She said there are just too many risk factors in his case to warrant not putting him through such a thing.  

Our last resort is to keep doing what we're doing, but change his diet to Iams Low Residue wet food.  This food is suppose to reduce the amount of fecal matter that the body produces, hence hopefully making it easier for him to go on his own.  Unfortunately, if this doesn't work I'll have to do the hardest thing, because I can't put him through weekly enimas anymore.  The poor guy - I don't think he could take too much more of that routine.

The sad thing is, he doesn't like the Iams food....I even tried mixing some of it with Pumpkin and some with chicken broth, but he wouldn't touch the stuff.  I feel all I can do now is continue what I've been doing and pray for a miracle.
Hi!  It's Leosmommy back again.  My leo is holding steady and we're now 4 months post surgery.  It's really been a blessing to not have to panic daily that he's obstipated, though he's had chronic diarrhea since the surgery.  Unsure if it is due to the surgery (they removed most of his colon, so it is a possible side effect) or his IBD.  My boy has lots of GI related issues, including chronic pancreatitis, hepatic lipidosis, IBD, and formerly megacolon.  I did decide to do the surgery as I saw it as his last shot.  I have no regrets, and am now working to try some different diets to bring the diarrhea under control.  As not fun as it is for me to clean up all the time, I'm sure it's less fun for him!

Patty- absolutely try pumpkin.  I think there are several other suggestions on this thread including miralax, which I didn't try.  I did try psyllium husk and enulose/lactulse to good results for a few years.  

As to catsqueezers' suggestion, if it's working for you, that's wonderful.  For others, I'd consult with a vet before doing it.  Given the strength which which you'd have to squeeze to do this, I'd be concerned personally about rupturing something.  But perhaps under a vet's guidance if you learn a way to do this fairly safely, it may be an option.

Christine, it's so hard to tell what causes the issues to increase, and ultimately, the condition does seem to progress.  Lactulose and psyllium husk did the trick for my leo for over four years, then just seemed to stop working.  There's other options.. I posted my email address previously.  I found an excellent article that walks through options that I'm happy to send.  Can't recall the original website.  It walks through the different supplements and meds.  Unfortunately there's no one solution, and it's a matter of playing around with everything to find the right mix.  And that includes foods as well.  My vet had said there's a difference of opinion with that regard.  Some suggest high fiber, and others low residue.  Ultimately in my experience, I went through a year of trying different things to see what worked best.  I really didn't want to do the surgery, though I have no regrets that I did it.  It was hard on us for sure, but has given him a good quality of life now, which I hope to make better with diet modifications and food allergy elimination testing.

Ishasmom- I'm so sorry.  It sounds like you're doing everything you can, and I'm so sorry there don't seem to be more options for you.  Please email me for the document that is in my experience at least, a pretty comprehensive listing of options (included my email information in a prior post).  You could try miralax, psyllium husk and some other things, though I think cisapride and enulose are pretty strong options.  I did find some other meds in the list that I didn't try as my Leo became so accute.  It's such a hard process to go through, and so difficult to make that decision.  I'm very sorry.

about megacolon, My mom's cat has megacolon and the vet put him on Iams® Veterinary Formulas Intestinal Low-Residue™/Feline Dry and wet  Formula. He is doing great on the food, he goes to the potty box and poops very good now.

Toniann
Thanks for posting the suggestion.  Interestingly, it depends on the vet, and the cat, if high fiber or low residue will work best.  It also depends how advanced the megacolon is.  What I didn't really understand until things progressed is that every single time they get obstipated, it increases the issue (decreases the elasticity of the colon.)  I'd let him go a few days if he didn't show signs of discomfort, figuring he'd go when he'd go.  My vet was adamant that he go every single day, however, my other cat never did that either!  Anyways,  tough to know what will work best and it's always good to test different options.  This condition does seem to progress, so the more dilligence you put around keeping the kitty regular early on will help.  Good luck with your mom's cat!  
My cat was diagnosed with megacolon about 6 years ago when I adopted him from a shelter.  After many expensive vet visits and lots of trial and error, I finally came up with a solution for preventing the constipation.  At first I was putting canned pumpkin in his wet food twice a day. Pumpkin has tons of fiber and this worked pretty good for a long time.  Then I decided to try some powdered fiber such as Fibersure in his wet food.  He gets it 2 times a day.  It has worked so well and is a lot easier than the pumpkin.  I put  1 tablespoon of the powdered Fibersure in with about 2 tablespoons of wet food.  The Fibersure is odorless, tasteless and has a smooth texture.  My cat doesn't even know that it is in his food and eats it right up. My cat is so sensitive, that I make sure I do this at least twice a day every day.  You will probably have to do some experimenting. There are other products out there but the Fibersure has the most fiber in it.  You can buy it in any grocery store, pharmacy, etc.Forrest still has occasional bouts of constipation but has way less trips to the vet. When I see him begin to struggle to go to the bathroom, I try to force a Cisapride down him for a few days and that seems to really help too.  He is suppose to take the Cispride each day, but that wasn't working for us as he would fight me to get it in him.  It was a major battle and I never won.  So I just do the best I can with the Cisapride.  I hope this helps.  I know how frustrated this condition can be.  
Hello, reading these posts has been helpful as I have an 11 yr old Siamese suffering similarly. We are considering the surgery - but can anyone point me to a good source of information regarding it? I want to know more about the risks, complications, even a ballpark idea of the cost. Thank you, any info would be helpful.
Hi Jessica, I know nothing about megacolon......BUT, just wanted to tell ya that you really should start a new thread.  A lot of people don''t bother looking at old threads like this.  It's dated Aug 07'.  

YES, I know.....I responded to the thread.  LOL.  Trust me.....a new thread will be much better!  =D
Your vet should be the best source of information on megacolon, however, s/he might not be up to speed (which is why I switched vets).  Most of the suggestions posted here are quite helpful until such time that surgery becomes necessary, and will be echoed by your vet, although I don't recommend squeezing your cat.  

Surgery should be your absolute last option due to the risk of infection...you're dealing with a colon's contents, after all.  Leosmommy would know more since her Leo recently went through the surgery.  She posted her email addy as "gonetothedogz8. And my favorite place for this kind of thing is yahoo".  

As to cost, from what I've read it really varies.  My vet quoted around $3k, but I've seen higher and lower.  

It seems like most of us who post here check back to give and receive tips, so keep us updated on your kitty.  And, good luck!!

I apologize for inviting someone else to contact you, but it seems like you are the best go-to person here regarding the surgery since Leo went through it.  I hope he's doing well!

Jaxon is doing great, which lets us breathe until the next go-round of issues.
Thank you for the advice and insight! I also just started a new post as I had some specific questions.

I have had similar quotes so far. I am wrestling mentally with on one hand, the costs and risks of surgery, vs on the other a better quality of life for the cat on the other. I dont just want to rush into surgery by any means.
Sorry, I haven't checked in for a while.  No apologies needed!  I'm happy to share the information and offered to.  Unfortunately I can't find the link where I got it, but I have a very good reference document about the disease/condition and the treatment options, including surgery.  I'm happy to email it to anyone who wants it.

Leo's surgery was in the realm of $4k.  He did also have a surgical procedure on his parathyroid, and several biopsies, so I'd guess the colon surgery was around $3500 itself.  My vet recommended that I see a board certified IM, which I did (and then a surgeon.)  It's a tough condition as there's no real cure, and each animal reacts differently to the treatments.  

In my experience and from what my vet and the IM said, it usually eventually does get worse.  Leo was fine with our treatment plan for over six years, then kept getting worse.  I decided to do the surgery for two reasons: first, he also had other conditions (IBD, chronic pancreatitis and hepatic lipidosis) and every time one flared they all did, requiring hospitalization.  I didn't think his little body could take it anymore, and felt there weren't other effective options for how bad he was.  2.  he was 12.5 years old, and I didn't want to prolong the surgery once I decided that's what it was coming to, trying to get him through his bouts and holding off until he was older.  I figured the younger, the better.

I'll see if I can find your post jessicaln94.  Please do feel free to email me for the information and with any questions.  I'm happy to help.
Sam
Re your cat.  I have a male 12 year cat who had megacolon.  I treated hims for 2 years with cizapride, colace, and lacsatone and all that but the bottom line is cat's die from this eventually.  I decided instead to pay 2,500.00 for surgery.  They removed most of the colon (large intestine and then used the small intestine to be attached to the 2" colon left.  With this operation they have dog pile after while poops.
Their anus is sore for several weeks and so is his insides where he is in pain while he has a bowel movement.  This is where I am at right now.
I called the Vet and he said he may have some colitus in the little bit of the colon that is left.  So he has given me a prescription to hopefully clear this up and his pain goes away.  If that is the case, we will be home free.  It was a hard decision to have the operation, but really you have two choices either you put you cat to sleep after so many months of having mega colon or you can choose the operation but they told me the success rate is 90% for the surgery but you can ask the doctor.  It is a hard decision but you have to address it one way or the other to try your best to fix the problem

Hope this helps

Brenda
We adopted a cat from a shelter about 5 years ago & they estimated he was 4-6 years old. Within a couple weeks, we started noticing his trouble to go to the bathroom. After 2 years of working with vets to find a good routine to prevent his needing enemas (cisapride, lactulose, prescription foods, etc.), it all stopped working & we took him in for the partial colectomy. This completely fixed him & turned him into a brand new cat for about a year, before we wound up back at the vet for another enema. At this point, he is on a strict diet of Science Diet i/d (gastrointestinal health) wet food + 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax laxative every day & this has kept him regular (& sometimes a little more than regular) for about a year now.
Hi this is Brenda with my cat Fritzy who is 13 1/2 yrs. old. I went through pretty much all that you described in the above articles.  I gave Fritzy the medacolon operation after great consideration and though about 2 mos and a consultation with my vet. .  It cost almost $3,000.00 but it was worth it.  Fritzy is my buddy and I love him to death.

I was shocked to see that cisapride can cause heart problems but we didn't try that too long.  Fritzy was very good afterwards, his stitches healed nicely the only problem I do have after wards and for the past two years is a sore potty which I am giving him anti-inflammatory and antibiotic.

Apparently, because the colon is virtually removed then they bring the small intestines over and sew it up with the 2 in. of colon left, the poop does not have the same juices or process it goes through if he had his colon.  So he attends to his potty which I deter him by saying, "Fritzy don't touch your potty." because it just makes it sore.  He listens to Mamma.   I have tried vaseline and several creams for relief but other than that he is a happy kitty and because he is older he sleeps more but enjoys watching TV with mummie in the evening and he comes to cuddle before bedtime and in the morning he comes and cuddles.  I also bought him a tree which he enjoys looking out the window to see the birds and any other activity outside that is going on and I have the window open a bit so he can hear the birds.  Seems to work for us.  Animals give unconditional love and are company for any animal lover.  I know the operation is expensive but I had the best vet surgeon in southern CA.  You could shop around for reputation and a better price.  Good luck to all and thanks for sharing your experiences on this thread. Brenda and Fritzy ....
I am sooo glad I found this site.  My Lillith has had a megacolon for about a year. She is also hypothyroid - after a radiation treatment which totally destroyed her thyroid.  

I have been having trouble with her deciding that our (actually my husband's) couch and our bed (on my husband's side) were much better places to defecate.  At first I just thought she was mad at my husband - a bit of humor).  I now put plastic over our bed all day and at night the couch and spray them both with pet block as an additional deterrent.  I don't like doing this but is works pretty good.

I have decided to stop giving her dry food at all even though she LOVES it.  She has no trouble with the pumpkin.  I have been giving her 1ml of Lactulose and 1ml of Cisapride. I am glad to see that others give a lot more of the Lactulose and think I am going to start giving her more.  

One thing I have been doing which seems to help temporarily is Vitamin E on her rear which is often very red.  

Again, thank you to all of you for your comments and suggestions.
my sister's cat had severe megacolon
the only thing that helped after years of tests,vets
latalose, kristolose and various medications.....

try miralax.....
Read your post about the problem with Cisapride. My cat will not take anything thru the mouth. Nothing. She was a wild cat for 9 years and I have had her for 9 years. She showed up in my lumber yard and stayed until I closed it and brought her home. She didn't like that for a few months either. No one else can touch her but me.
She is not a people cat. She is in the vets office once a month. I have tried everything.
I got Cisapride compounded with chicken flavor. this is the only thing she will take in her food. Problem is it cost.
hope you have luck...
hi and welcome to our forum. good for you for taking this kitty into your home and caring for her....
I am wondering if your kitty is on a canned diet? kibble diets are already so dehydrated they lead to constipation issues. proper hydration alone can correct this chronic problem.
You can also add some pumpkin(plain NO spices) 1-4Tbsp per meal and wheat bran 1-2Tbsp per meal into the wet diet this adds good fiber. kitty must be getting alot of fluids in the diet when supplementing with fiber to minimize the impaction.
Probiotics are also another good addition.

I'm not sure about using cisapride especially long term. it has been removed from the market for humans b/c of possible heart arrhythmias and heart attacks....I know Vets still use it however I question the safety.
Thanks for your comment. I think I'm using the last of the cisapride. It cost $60 a lick. Last about 6 wks. didn't seem to work that well.
Just got Gravel home a few minutes ago.
I'm going to try a stool softner that I found. Megalax. Since gravel will not even get close to any meds i think this will work.
It is tasteless and odorless. Vet said this would be okay. Have to guess at the right amount.....
yes stool softners work great, but the one to use for cats is called LACTULOSE....ratiopharm 667mg/ml. I use it for one of mine who also has issues..
its avail thru our human pharmacies. its a sticky liquid that you need to add water with. I safely use 2mls Lactulose (.40 of a tsp) plus 2mls water(.40 tsp)
once a day...twice if really constipated. judge this on an as needed basis, and when starting anything start will less than whats recommended just to see how its going to effect gravel...don't want it to give him the poops.
so I recommend you start the first day with 1ml (less than 1/4tsp) if he doesn't have a poop the next day do the 2mls, if this still isn't enough do the 2mls 2x a day...and believe me that WILL work....
This can be used daily to keep him regular or on an 'as needed basis'
We've just joined the group of megacolon cats with our 11 yr old male British Shorthair.  I've read your comment about the Ranitidine and gathered that you are giving it to your cat with success.  But how did you calculate the dosage?  Our cat weighs 30 pounds (he's lost 6 since the onset of illness).  His Cisapride dosage is 10 mg - if that gives you an idea on weight/dosage ratio. The Cisapride does not seem to be doing much for him though he has become resigned to having a capsule tossed down his throat.  We found the small liquid glycerin suppositores and those work really well.  
I've also read pros and cons regarding low density foods and high fiber foods.  How are you feeding your cat?  

Thanks so much!  Your post was the best collection of information I've found so far.  
sorry almost missed your post, you have posted on a very OLD thread and asked a question to velvet who only posted back 2 or 3 years ago...so unfortunately I doubt you'll get a reply from her.

Please follow the recommendations of your Vet with any medications, do NOT go by what someone mentions on this or any forum...RANITIDINE should never be used as a laxative!!!!!!

using lactulose is regarded as safe, it is a stool softner....my Vet has prescribed 2mls mixed with 3mls of water 2x a day. I wouldn't use more than that as it could cause cramping. it won't work overnight and sometimes isn't effective but worth a try.
for megacolon its best to use insoluable fibers that soften the stools and promote faster evacuation so the stool doesn't sit in the colon and become hard and large.
other insoluable fibers are pumpkin,wheat bran, zucchini, celery, sweet potatoes. so you can also try adding one of these to his food...just start slow.
good luck, post again if we can help.
A cat I saved has mega colon we give him metoclopramide and lactulose through our vet it works lasts a year than have to  go back to renew it ,anyway also can try real unsweeted pumpin  to help soften stool just mix it in their food my cats love it .if you have any questions let me know via my email address it is ***@**** and all the best you sound like a wonderful parent for you cat. mrs Wynne
Megacolon:Adult cat.  Miralax 1/4 tsp add to food about a tablesppon of food. Adjust to less if neccessary nno more than that. Must be daily or stool will become hard again.

Do not use lactulose when using miralax. Only use one.
Cistipride for motility.

Diet:  Use grain-free foods. High quality premium foods such as Merrick, Wellness, EVO, Halo etc.

Provide Fresh water throughout day can add some ice chios to encourage cat to drink.

Make sure you are treating Megacolon. If your cat has other issues  make sure you are treating the proper diagnosis. Consult your Vet or seek a holistic vet.

Most vets do are not taught nutrition and pet foods are not regulated other than the pet food companies. Commercial foods are not good. as you think

Read this article in it's entirety. http://www.squidoo.com/safe-healthy-natural-cat-food
I am CJ  Tinks MOM I am gonna try the Pumpkin today, Tinks is a 9 yr old Siamese (female) going through this mega colon too, its breaking our hearts :(
sorry to hear abt Tink...as with any condition it can be worked with as long as you keep reading and learning all you can abt this condition. Pumpkin is a good source of fiber, however cats with megacolon fiber isn't a good idea as I've recently read, high fiber takes out the moisture in the colon and dries up the stool..making passage even slower and more difficult. as stated in some earlier posts you need to be using lactulose or miralax (not both)...has your Vet advised you on one of these products? they will help soften the stool and promote bowel movements.
My one kitty doesn't have mega colon but he does have a con-stricture in his bowel and I use lactulose regularly for him. 2mls with 4mls of water via a syringe or dropper,1-2x per day...as required. this is avail thru any pharmacy..

yes we have been using that sticky Lactulose in syringe form for months now, yesterday The Vet ordered the Cisipride, it should arrive today by UPS, also I added 1/4 tsp of Miralax into her food, heard all strange noise's last night while trying to rub her gently, This Morning was very Successful, still no where in sight for her to get 100% better, The Vet said go ahead and do the Miralax, wow that worked ! fingers crossed for today ! I use it once a day with the Lactulose...this is so sad :(  Prayers to Everyone ...
Does anyone else hear have a problem of the cat vomitting up her bowels ?
Tinks does that and it stopped for 3 weeks then it happened 3 days ago, all over the place because the colon is so enlarged, says the Vet...at first my Husband tried to tell me she was doing it from her rear, until he witnessed it & could not believe it....On all your postings I never read what Tinks Vomit is like, am I alone on this issue ???
My Vet told me yesterday to use both Miralax & Lactulose, and ordered the Cisipride I am waiting for UPS to drop it off...Tinks went big time this morning, long road ahead of us...praying for everyone here <3
Hello...my cat has had megacolon for most of her life and I didn't know it when I adopted her. After many vet visits and enemas they finally showed me what to feel for. They had me put my hands on either side of her hips and feel the lumps of poop lodged in her colon. I must say it was quite a startling discovery and I felt so bad for my little girl. I immediately put her on an all wet food diet with as much added water as she'd tolerate and that definitely helped to soften her stools. But she doesn't realize that there is poop in her colon and won't go unless prompted to. I've tried Lactolose, Cisipride, canned pumpkin, EVERYTHING and she just doesn't get it. Occasionally there will be a nugget in the litter box but that''s pretty rare.

But bringing her to the vets for an enema every time she needed to go was breaking me financially and when I'd give her an enema at home it just never had the same effect. She just doesn't seem to go for me with the home enemas. I've tried just warm water ones, ones with mineral oil, and ones with some soap mixed in and nothing seems to work. I don't want to put her down because she is a very happy cat when she is poop free and healthy otherwise. She's only about 9 years old right now and loves life.

So I thought long and hard about the mechanics of how she poops and I decided to be her peristalsis. So what we do is go to the litter box and I turn her so her butt is facing me. I then put my hands on either side of her colon and gently push with my fingers until I can feel her poop. I will then gently apply pressure all along her colon in a downwards motion, kind of like you would a tube of toothpaste and she'll immediately feel the pressure this causes and assume the poop position. I'll then feel her abdominal muscles working to push as well and I usually stop squeezing and try to let her push it out on her own, but sometimes she needs additional help. Normally this whole process takes about 5 min tops and we're out of there and enjoying life. We've been doing this technique for about 4 years now and she is healthy and happy. The only downside to this is that I'm the only one that knows how to do it and the only one she trusts enough. She won't let my husband and frankly no one else has wanted to try. So it's tough when we have to travel or want to go on vacation, but she's my fuzzyface so I deal with it.

I hope this helps other pet owners that have to deal with megacolon. It's a free treatment that doesn't seem to negatively effect her and she's super happy and proud of herself after she's had a poop (even if assisted). It also helps if afterward you give a little treat or something so they don't associate pooping time with anything negative. I think she understands that I'm just trying to help and even when there are large lumps she's never hissed or swatted or tried to bite. She's a very good natured cat and very gentle and trusts me completely...so maybe that's why I'm even able to poop her like this. I don't know how other cats would handle this technique but it's worth a try if it gives your pet relief and you relief in your wallet and from all those crazy medicines.
I have a manx kitten which I just adopted.  I took her to the vet yesterday and the vet informed me that her spine is short and she has problems going to the bathroom.  The vet told me to help keep her going without straining to give her a teaspoon of kitten milk three times a day; ice cream if she will eat a little; half and half at the same ratio as the kitten milk or a pencil eraser size amount of petroleum jelly a couple times of day.  I am trying the kitten milk first.
Hi, I do agree with some of the Vets suggestions, the kitten milk or 50/50 mix should help. I see no reason to try ice cream since you will be giving milk already besides ice cream is full of sugar and that's not safe for cats,

Vaseline ( white) is ok but just for short term or occasional use...since it's petroleum it's not safe for permanent use, instead you can try a small amount of unsalted butter(NOT margarine) or even pure lard I use this for my one cat with constipation issues
Good luck