Cats Community
high alt and poor equilibrium

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

high alt and poor equilibrium

My cat came in the house and appeared to be drunk, we took him to the vet.  He had a seizure.  The vet ran test on him.  He had an elevated ALT.  He gave our cat iv to flush his system two days in a row.  Tonight his liver feels hard and he smells.   His equilibrium is off.  When he shakes his head he falls down.  Was he poisoned? Will he ever be normal again?
The elevated ALT and the other symptoms could be a result of a toxic reaction or liver disease.  Did your vet do a liver test of any kind or any other testing? Was there any diagnosis or prognosis?

Were you given any medication or an appointment to come back for further treatment?  

Is kitty eating anything, drinking water or using the litter box?  How does his eyesight seem?

You need to discuss this with your vet and, frankly, I might get a second opinion if I were you.  If there is a good sized animal hospital that you can get to, that might be the best thing.  Places like that see lots of cases, have multiple vets on staff and may know more about this than your first vet.  

Let me know what happens, ok?
Dear Mrs. Savas,
My vet has suggested he got into some toxin.  Maybe he ate a toad or lizard.  My cat  received two days of  IV fluids and Prednisalone.  He also received two injections of Dexamethasone.  And One injection of Valium and Telazol.  We went back to the vet today, six days after the trouble began,  his Alt is 79.  One pupil is dilating normally.  He no longer falls when he shakes his head.  The vet says he is at 92% and I agree.  It is such a relief.  Thanks for asking.
Denise310
Good, that sounds great.  Thanks for letting me know, I really appreciate it.

Toxins and poisons can be so scary to deal with, I know, I've been there. I'm so glad your baby is doing so well!

Please don't hesitate to ask us any questions in the future and let us know if we can help with anything.

Anne