My cat came in the house and appeared to be drunk, we took him to the vet. He had a seizure. The vet ran test on him. He had an elevated ALT. He gave our cat iv to flush his system two days in a row. Tonight his liver feels hard and he smells. His equilibrium is off. When he shakes his head he falls down. Was he poisoned? Will he ever be normal again?
The elevated ALT and the other symptoms could be a result of a toxic reaction or liver disease. Did your vet do a liver test of any kind or any other testing? Was there any diagnosis or prognosis?
Were you given any medication or an appointment to come back for further treatment?
Is kitty eating anything, drinking water or using the litter box? How does his eyesight seem?
You need to discuss this with your vet and, frankly, I might get a second opinion if I were you. If there is a good sized animal hospital that you can get to, that might be the best thing. Places like that see lots of cases, have multiple vets on staff and may know more about this than your first vet.
Dear Mrs. Savas,
My vet has suggested he got into some toxin. Maybe he ate a toad or lizard. My cat received two days of IV fluids and Prednisalone. He also received two injections of Dexamethasone. And One injection of Valium and Telazol. We went back to the vet today, six days after the trouble began, his Alt is 79. One pupil is dilating normally. He no longer falls when he shakes his head. The vet says he is at 92% and I agree. It is such a relief. Thanks for asking.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.