how to give pill to cat with broken lower mandible
My cat broke his lower jaw this morning in an indoor (he is strictly an indoor cat) kitty crazies jump gone awry. His jaw was wired this afternoon, he's eating and drinking better than I expected so far.  I have to give him a post surgery steroid pill starting tomorrow night ( and the next two evenings).  His facial swelling post surgery to now (about 6 hours later) has obviously increased, and I may be borrowing trouble, but I am worried that he may not be able to lap up medicated canned food, or may refuse it, if he continues to swell. I am thinking of mixing the crushed pill with a small amount of canned food, load in a small syringe, and just squirt it into the back of his mouth.  Does anyone have any experience, or a better idea?

Thanks in advance,
Elsie
oh your poor kitty.....I am so sorry to read this. I do hope he will accept the crushed pill in his food which would be the easiest way to give it, but of course most cats won't especially when many of these medications taste so bad. yes you can definitely crush it and best to mix with a small amount of water and squirt into the SIDE not the back of his mouth....is you squirt it in the back theres is too big a chance of him aspirating it (inhaling into his lungs) this is very dangerous...so always do so by the side..back near the last molars..I will send you a video
good luck....sure hope all heals well

http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pet-owners/pill/entire-video
p.s. the video shows how to give a pill WHOLE...and this way you do put in the back of the throat....its when you give a liquid(pill crushed than mixed wth water) that you must administer by the side ....just wanted to clarify that.
You are  going to need to be very gentle doing this since kitties jaw is broken and wired....by forcing the jaw open I am afraid of further injury...
I hope for both your sakes he will take it in his food instead.....watch the full video it does show how to use a syringe..just briefly..good luck.
Thank you so much for your reply.  There is absolutely no way I can give him a whole pill, the facial swelling will not allow for that, nor would I try to force it even if he would tolerate my attempts, for fear of further distressing him or causing TMJ problems. After reading your reply, I realize mixing the pill with water is my best chance of getting the med in him.  It is nearly 1 am here, and my little one has finally gone to sleep. Sam (the Ham, aka Hambone) and I thank you for your advice and kind wishes.

Elsie
If he will not take it, call the vet and get either a liquid preparation that they can add some palatable flavor to (they have such things) or a shot.
Hi, definitely call the vet.  I don't understand why they wouldn't give you instructions when they discharged him....I really don't.

Most vets have steroid shots that last 2 weeks, maybe more.  I think this is a much better option for your cat right now.  And, on another positive note, it will take effect super quick and knock that swelling right on out.  Please call your vet and ask about this shot.

Good luck to kitty.  May he heal quickly and be more careful w/ his jumping from now on!!  =)
Thanks everyone, for your helpful advice and kind concern.  The vet had told me to crush it and put it in his food, but I was concerned about his ability and desire to eat. I managed to get the pills in him crushed and mixed in a syringe of water (side of cheek, thanks opus).  The med was a NSAID, not steroid, sorry for the misinformation. The swelling is better, but he's doing worse, going back to the vet first thing in the morning for a re-check and IV.  
thanks for the update....so sorry to hear he is not doing well...you mentioned an IV,  so are you meaning he's not eating or drinking on his own? the poor little guy.
Talk to your Vet abt discontinuing the NSAID many cats do not do well on this...and if the swelling is gone down he shouldn't need to keep on it.
also ask abt something for pain like Buprenex, perhaps that will help his appetite if he's having pain..

good luck, please let us know how it goes tomorrow...sending a little prayer for him♥
Hope the re-visit with the vet bring you the info you need to help kitty heal well.