Aa
A
A
Close
Avatar universal
internal bleeding
I woke up In the morning to find my cat extremely weak and disoriented. She had vomited and was laying awkwardly on her side and seemed very uncomfortable. I waited a few hours but when I was getting ready for wok I noticed that she had not improved and was meowing strangely and looked almost confused. I rushed her to the vet and they took her temperature and looked at her gums. Her temperature was around 90 degrees and her gums were pale white. We took her over to an emergency clinic after they gave her an I.V. and warmed her up. Once at the emergency clinic they took blood tests which showed her RBC at about 13%. She was given a blood transfusion and in the middle of it she stopped breathing. They were able to revive her and she was better 2 hours later and they next morning was even more alert. However, she gradually go worse and eventually died. I'm wondering if they should have continued to give her blood transfusions as necessary and maybe do some exploratory surgery. There was obvious internal bleeding but the doctor wanted to stabilize her first. It doesn’t make sense to me because the cause of her illness hadn't been identified and stopped. He said her was going to treat her for an ulcer and that didn't include surgery. I'm wondering if they should have opened her up immediately. What is normally done in these types of situations?
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
228686 tn?1211558307
The problem with these situations (and don't take this as blame, it isn't) people tend to wait until the situation is dire. Generally, by the time the vet gets their hands on the animal they can't risk surgery (with a temperature of 90, it sounded serious!)

So don't feel bad. The vet did the right thing (as did you). The chances that she would have survived an immediate exploratory are slim. Possibly after initial stabilization it may have worked out, but that's a judgment call that's high risk.

My one question is did they do any x-rays? With internal bleeding, I'd think they would have considered it.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Avatar universal
Thanks for the input. They did take an x-ray but it didn't reveal anything. The vet didn't want to do an ultrasound until she was stable, by which time it was too late
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
675347 tn?1365464245
Blank
ginger899 Wishing everyone a very Hap... Comment
4 hrs ago
495284 tn?1333897642
Blank
dominosarah commented on Last Chapter of the P...
22 hrs ago
406584 tn?1399591666
Blank
10356 commented on Last Chapter of the P...
Dec 12
Top Cats Answerers
874521 tn?1424120397
Blank
Canada..., SK
506791 tn?1439846583
Blank
Saint Mary's County, MD
242912 tn?1402547092
Blank
CA
740516 tn?1360946086
Blank
Brazil
134578 tn?1483549754
Blank
Cats Community Resources
Top Cats Answerers
874521 tn?1424120397
Blank
Canada..., SK
506791 tn?1439846583
Blank
Saint Mary's County, MD
242912 tn?1402547092
Blank
CA
740516 tn?1360946086
Blank
Brazil
134578 tn?1483549754
Blank