Cats Community
kitten urinating in sleep

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

kitten urinating in sleep

Our 9 month old Manx kitten has a problem of urinating while it is sleeping. This does not happen every time, but seems to only happen while in a deep sleep. We do know that Manx kittens up have some problems. When she is awake she does not have any problem using the litter box. Our vet has recommended that we give her 16 milagrams of Pseudoephedrine. Which we have started her on, but my question is has anyone had a cat that sleeps so hard that it does not even know it is urinating?
The only time this has happened with one of my cats, it later proved to be a bladder infection.  Your best bet is to take your cat to the vet, and don't assume that the urination during sleep is normal.  It's NOT normal.

Good luck
We are already working with our vet on this. Just wanted to know if anyone had very had the same problem.
I have had this problem in older cats, not young ones. Urinating while sleeping is more common in older cats as they start losing their basic, most important senses and become disoriented and scared as their eye sight decreases in quality.

Please let us know how he is doing when your vet gives you a diagnosis.
Right now it is day to day. Just when you think it is working she has a set back. We don't quit easy so we will try everything we can.
Has the vet given a diagnosis? What is the kitten's problem? Please let us know, perhaps we could come out with something here to help you treat him. We are not vets but we can certainly give encouragement and support, and a lot of people, including our super cool Cumminuty Leader, Savas, has years, and years of experience dealing with sick kitties.
What both us and the vets think it is because Manx rumpy cats develope neurologically slower then other breeds. The drug that we are giving her is suppose to increase the homone level so that she developes faster.

So far so good, Now does anybody know how to slow her down to mach 1 lol
This is the first time I have been able to find someone who is dealing with the same problem that I am.  My tortoiseshell cat Fiona has been urinating in her sleep ever since she was a kitten.  When she falls into a very deep sleep, she begins to kick her back legs and some urine will leak out.  She never has a problem using the litter box when she is awake.  When I first noticed this behaviour I took her to several vets but none of them could find anything wrong with her.  Her bladder muscles were so strong that one vet couldn't get any urine out by squeezing it.  I have had Fiona for 4 years now and I love her to death, but this problem is extremely frustrating, especially when she accidently falls asleep on a pile of my clothes.  Please let me know if your treatment is working.
Sorry to report that we had to give the kitten back. It was devastating to have to do that, but the problem stopped for a couple of weeks then came back big time. Since we gave her back they have had no sign of the problem.

We now believe most of the problem came about because of the other cat we have. She is a Pixie Bob and very, very territorial. She would tolerate the kitten and then just attack her for no reason including attacking her in the litter box. It did not matter how many litter boxa we had either, she would attack her in either one.

She is doing will at the shelter and we are keeping and eye on her. Being a anx she still will most likely have a problem expelling, but she needs a house to her own.
Just found this site..I also have this problem with my kitty..I rescued Coco from the pound (she is a chocolate sealpoint) she was about 10 months at the time and just recently spayed..She is now a year old and she pees where she sleeps. Unfortunately it is on my bed.  The vet checked her for a bladder infection, none, her health is great.  I have to use piddle pads under a large towel, don't know what else to do, I don't want to return her to the pound.

CocoChanel
By a huge coincidence I also have a manx aged 6 months and her name is coco... she has started urinating when shes asleep.  When she's awake she uses her litter but there have been two places that she has slept where she has urinated while she's asleep and she has done it in both places twice.  I am taking her to the vet in a couple of days when I finish work but anyone's suggestions would be appreciated.
Yes my cat in 1 year old and he has done it for months now! We have kept him outside until we can get the money together for the vet!! I wonder why this happens? I have had cats my whole life and never had this problem before!
sorry I missed your question earlier. tell me is your kitty a manx by any chance?
Yes it was a Manx/Siamese cross. We had to return it to the shelter and they found a home where it could be cared for properly. Loved that cat but being a Manx we knew there could be problems. We have had Manx in the pass and just love the breed.