Cats Community
kitten with a tilted hea

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

kitten with a tilted hea

5 days ago noticed my 4 month old male kitten was starting to have his head tilted to the left side - 2 days later it was just about vertical.  He is purring all the time and is eating/drinking and using the litter box just as normal as before exept his head is tilted to one side - no other symptoms.  History is they were foster kittens that I kept - he wasn't as sick as his sister but did recieve alot of medical attention within the first 2 months of me having them for upper respiratory disease.  Within the last month they have been just as healthy as any other kitten and have fully recovered.  Then he gets this tilted head.  This started on a Wednesday - took to the Vet on the Friday & my regular vet is not there - 2 Vets looked at him for 2 hours and can't find anything wrong.  They put him on Baytil for the weekend - 3 days and no change - on the Monday saw my regular Vet which had heard about it and she can't find anything wrong with him- although he seems in no pain or discomfort, this isn't right!  My concern is not whatever he may have - is how long will it continue since he is so young and growing  - it may change his development.  Anybody have any answers

Tags: hea, tilted, kitten, symptom
Charlene, I just googled "kitten and head tilt" and a bunch of sites came up.  Several describing the possibility of what it could be which may include a Vestibular problem (middle ear infection,) punctured ear drum, head trauma, idiopathic (no known reason.) Also, sites of people with kittens of their own with head tilts.  While you're waiting for someone who might have experience here, you might google this in the mean time if you haven't already.  

Best of luck in finding an answer.  

Oh, I missed the part where this kitty had a upper respiratory disease so maybe a very deep ear infection that the vets could be missing although 3 vets missing something like that, does seem unlikely.  

We have tried the Baytrl antiboitic in the hopes of an middle or inner ear infection with no response - nothing else seems to be wrong with this kitten.  Any more suggestions

I wonder about a head injury.  So just the head tilt, no twitching or odd eye movement or stumbling?  Has your cat been tested for FLV ? (leukemia)  Kitty may have taken a fall and you didn't see in which case a prednisone shot might be helpful with any inflammation if this is the case.

My cat had an ear infection recently and she was on antibiotics for TEN days.  Maybe try a different antibiotic for a longer period of time.  

This is all I can think of, but at least my answer will bump your question to the top again so maybe someone else has an idea.
One of my cats has had a tilted head since she had a possible stroke as a kitten. I found her one morning rolling on the floor because she had no sense of balance. The vet could find nothing wrong with her and she has been fine for 8 years,just with a little tilt.
Shannon79 commented on Belle313's status
55 mins ago
Shannon79, 10356, opus88, and spider6 commented on clean_in_ks's status
59 mins ago
Shannon79 commented on photo
1 hr ago