Cats Community
mourning pet

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

mourning pet

Sent by chacha104 3 minutes
I raised 2 kittens (brothers) from 2 weeks old. They were together for 15 years. Recently one (Cha Cha) got very sick and I had to put him to rest. His brother Salsa was by him the entire time he was sick and would give me concerned looks. Cha Cha was a very vibrant and active cat, but this last year he got sick a few times and this  time his immune system wasnt fighting back. Salsa has been meowing (talking alot) my mom and I talk to him alot at first our voices conveyed saddness. We both agreed to talk more positive and uplifting. I spend time playing with him and his toys. He seems to need more attention I think because he is the lone cat now?
Tags: cats
Hello! Well I am very sad to read about Chacha :( I have two kitty sisters and they are very close as well. It is funny reading this, because a couple of days ago I was wondering if cats can get sick from feeling lonely and depressed. Why I was wondering this? Well, simply because one of my kitties (Kira) is more talkative... more active and definitely more territorial than the other one (Pucci). So this has caused my husband and I to pay more attention to Kira, while Pucci simply decides to isolate herself and be away from everyone. Since a about a week ago Pucci started pooping blood so I got concern and started paying more attention to her activities to find out why she was sick. It turns out that nothing physical was wrong as she ate her food and drank water.. she was acting normal. How did I find this out? I started paying more attention to her and making her a part of the kitty play time and what not, and in two days into this process of getting her involved and showing so much love she is ok now. And well relating this to what is happening to Salsa, I think that Salsa may need another companion and all the love he can get you his human family. And it is great  that you and your mother talk very positive to him. Somehow, they can perceive our feelings too. I sure hope that Salsa gets better, because it is sad seeing a sad kitty. Much kitty love ur way!
Animals that were raised together since a young age tend to have a very strong bond. I had a cat and a pet rat that LOVED each other, they would cuddle and everything. My cat Toby was about 5 years old at the time and my rat Stewie was about 3 or so. Stewie got a tumor and had to be put to sleep. Toby was so upset, he would jump on the dresser to look into Stewie's cage or look around for him (when Stewie was out of his cage, he was usually on the bed or running around). After seeing Toby so upset we decided to get a kitten and after about a month Bella and Toby were bonded. But every once in awhile Toby would go where the cage used to be or look for Stewie.
So, I agree with Liz that Salsa needs a new friend, not necessarily to "erase" Cha-Cha from his memory but to let him know that it's okay for him to get that bond back with another kitty.
And I'm sorry about Cha-Cha =(