Cats Community
my cat has a red open sore by his tail

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

my cat has a red open sore by his tail

i was wondering  my cat has a red round open sore spot by its tail. he does not seem to be in pain. and i see no puss near it, and its not swolllen. and i dont see anything in its stool. please help thanks
It's likely a drained abscess. which is a good thing. If it's drained, it will likely heal (although they do fill and drain a few times sometimes before doing so).

HOWEVER; if it's by the rectum, you should consider getting kitty checked out. Abscesses in that area are often indicators of possible more serious issues.
If the sore is like a small open crater or very red and moist on the inside it could be an abcess (abscess) and if it has burst it should heal itself just check the area once it has healed over to make sure that it hasn't healed in bacteria which will make the area feel like it has water underneath which means puss is building up underneath again. If you want to assist in any way a little warm water with a small amount of salt to bath it clean then keep you cat inside until it is totally clean and a way from sand.
If the sore is a round circle with red in the middle and like a bumpy rash on the outer circle it could be ring worm. In which case you will need ointment to clear it up and a wash to get rid of any other ringworm that might be on the cat (normally three washes in a special ringworm rinse) Then everything has to be cleaned to ringworm specifications to make sure no humans or other pets get it. bestest
thanks for the advice i found it  was called anal glands which is rare in cats and dogs. and the cat had an infection and had to have surgery and stitches yesterday. but thanks anyway
Hi buddy that is wonderful now he can get better...
my cat suggie k has a 3 inch sore on his tail , looks like it was  scratched  by something in the middle its a big red sore seems like it has a knot in it . been putting neosporin & peroxide on it it dosen't seem to hurt him as much this week but looks worst.also giving him clindamycin hydrochloride drops every 12hrs. what to do can't afford vet now.
where did you get the clindamycin from? was this prescribed by a Vet?
This product contains 8.64% ethyl alcohol which is a no-no for cats...and at what dose are you giving? VERY bitter tasting.
A Vet exam and antibiotic in PILL FORM (much safer) would cost you less than $50 I'm sure, I know its sometimes hard to come up with even that much..I too struggle.
some Vets allow to pay down a cost gradually. esp when just there for a prescription..always fill the prescription at pharmacy many of these medications are human form used for animals and cost half the price at our pharmas rather that at a Vet clinic.
I really think you need to find away of getting this sore looked at and treated with a medication that is safer...good luck, let us know how you make out ♥

http://www.drugs.com/vet/clindacure-liquid.html
I got the clindamycin from the vet, it was for my cat that I had to put down at the end of last yr. he takes the mefs very well doesn't even put up a fight. it cost $50 just to go to the vet and thats not even addressing the problem ,gonna keep an eye on it give it a couple more days if not better i'll take suggie to the vet
okay....once starting an antibiotic you have to have enough to follow thru with a full 14 day course or it will just spring back with a more resistant strain of bacteria.
watch for diarrhea.....the hard abscess my need to be lanced and drained inorder for any topicals to help -(
sending some ((>^.^<)) for you both, post again if we can help....

addressing the problem at a clinic would need to be only visual and a prescr. doesnt sound like he would necessarily need any blood work or other testing, therefore only an office visit charge is minimal.... you do what you can♥
it looks the same today and he has diarrhea , hes eating & playing. I have enough for 14 days gonna give this a couple more days then the vet. Thanks so much for ur help & advice. I'll keep u posted.
I just had to put my cat to sleep 4/9/12, he was 17 1/2 years old and had an abcess (abscess) on his tail & due to his age he couldn't have surgery. I am totally devasted, I loved him more than anything & feel so lost without him! He was losing weight and had diahhea every weekend because his system was closing down. I took him to the vet in January for the diahhea and he gave my Tigger a shot of Pepcid AC this help to kill the acid in his stomach. You can buy Pepcid AC, pill form from any drug store and all you need to do is cut the pill into four different sections and give him one section a very small piece and that will help the hurt in his stomach I could see Tigger feeling better in no time & overnight his stool was normal again. I also use to make plain white rice I would chop it up in a small chopper to mince it as small as I could adding a little water to the rice in the chopper or it gets very stiff than I would put a little bit of the rice on the tip of a tea spoon and drop it into his bowl that I fed him his wet food in and before I added the wet food I put a little bit of water on the rice and used the bottm of a teaspoon to flatten it out so he wouldn't really know it was in his wet food than I would add the can of wet food to it and mix it all together and make a little mountain in the center of his dish so it was easier for him to eat it. I hope this helps you, I know it made him feel wonderful again... Good luck I hope your baby will be better soon, I know this worked great for my little angel Tigger & saved a trip to the Vet. Actually the vet I took him to told me this was perfect to keep the diahhrea away but if its more servere, you need to take him in so they can help to make your cat well again! Also once you see he is going to the bathroom normal again, take him off the rice or you can end up with the opposite, where you might constipate him! Again good luck....