my cat has black spots in his ears
I have a 10 year old cat, with black spots in his ears. I clean his ears everyday and he also has brown gunk in there too. I also put apple cider vinegar in his ears. and they are not clearing up any suggestions?
Hi DeeDee and welcome to the cat forum.  I took a peek at your profile and it looks like you're talking about your white kitty, Apollo.  So you mean the black spots are inside towards the ear canal or the spots are on the inside of his ear flaps?  If near the canal, it could be ear mites (which is just a guess) but if you mean inside on the ear flaps, this could be cancer since white kitties are very susceptible to cancerous lesions in this area.    

Did these black spots appear recently or been there a while?  Has your vet seen what you're talking about?  
I dont know what they are, my Ginger cat has black spots on his nose and his mouth he is only 2... the vet never told us what they are. But they aint bothering him.

Hope your kitty gets better (:

x
DeeDee, if the stuff comes off when you wipe it, it's probably ear mites.  Have you checked your other cat for this?  If it is ear mites, it's easily treated by otic something from the Vet's.  I think you can also get an over-the -counter product that might work but I've never tried it.

Cassandrajane, TJ has those black spots that you are talking about, as did his mother.  He is the same color as your cat.  I don't think it's anything to worry about...at least I hope not. I think it's probably more of of a genetic thing. TJ is a very healthy cat at 14 :)
I dont know if his family have it... Because we got him at like 6 weeks old, Which I love my cat, but is wrong. Too early to be away from mummy cat, oh he has them on his eyes as well.. like yeah.

But they aint bothering him and we asked the vet and she didnt seem bothered, so it should be alright :)

xx
HI Jade, thanks for your reply, the brown gunk might be mites, and he has be treated for that before and the brown stuff comes out , but the black spots are inside of the ear and don't come out.I am thinking maybe taking him to the vet. what do you think?
thanks
Thanks for your reply, but I noticed there are more spots,I worked at an animal hospital in San Diego, I seen a white cat with cancer, but no black spots. Like I said I have 2 other cats and a dog and they don't have this. He itches his ears, but other than that it doesn't bother him, but more are showing up.Maybe I should ask the vet here on line or take him in to the vet? what do you think?
Hi again Jade, I used to put sun block on Appollo every time before he would go out. I would put 50 on him. I have him and my other  pets on Abady granular food, Salmon  oil, flaxseed oil,vitamins, apple cider vinegar in their water. And they eat pumpkin.They as a treat get seared cows liver, chicken gizzards. I am not sure but a few years ago we moved into a house in Washington state with alot of mold, my friend and I worked on this house, after we moved I noticed the spots in Appollo's ears,but the other animals don't have it, I am wondering if it is because he was older than my other pets. I even put anti-fungal oil in his ears, helped allittle but didn't stop it. Should I just ask the vet on this site?
If I were you, i would take him in and have the Vet look at the spots.  It's weird but about 2 wks ago I noticed a black spot on my cat Aramis' ear.  it was like a little mole and i had never noticed it before.  Now you've got me thinking maybe I should take him in and get it checked out.  There's only one but it is black and definitely not coming off. My ginger-colored cat TJ, like Cassandrajane's cat has black spots on his mouth and his eyes in the corners, but in their cases I think it's just a pigment thing.  I know TJ's mother was the same color and had it also.
Hey DeeDee, that's Great you put sunblock on Apollo.  I put sunblock on my white cat too, but it was too late for her since she came to us at about age 6 and already had cancer all over her ears (on the outside) so we had them amputated last year.  

You Could ask a vet here - the cost is $10, I believe, but if I were you, I'd take Apollo in so your vet can actually see what you're talking about, especially if I understand you right and these black spots have been there for several years?  My vet took one look at Jade and dx'd her without a biopsy.  We had the biopsy done AFTER the surgery and our vet was absolutely right in her diagnosis.  

Wow, you're a great mom with all the special oils and vitamins you give your cats.  Do they eat their food with no problem with all that stuff on it?  If so, you're lucky :)
I agree with Jade's last post.  White kits with some age on them are very susceptible to skin cancer on their ears.  I love kitty Jade; she is a fav of all of us here in the cat community.  So even if amputation is necessary, your kit can be a happy healthy (and handsome) guy.

Your care of your kitties is  amazing.  Good luck.  A trip to the vet is the only way to know for sure about those black spots on the  ears.
I am going to take Appollo to the vet. I hope every thing is alright with Aramis's ears.Well now  we can compare vet visits.I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I have been putting sunblock on him for ten years. but I know that doesn't mean much if cancer is inside. I am gonna take him to the vet. They do the salmon oil, Blade with take the vitamins, Coby and Appollo I have to shove it in there mouths.Giselle my dog has no problem taking anything.I will ask for a biopsy, thanks for the advice.
Thanks, My friend had a white cat named dragon , that had to have part of his ears removed because of cancer. Four years ago I took my cat into a vet in Idaho ,Pappa was limping on one of his back legs and the vet kept taking x-rays and misdiagnoising him, I told the vet that I thought it was cancer, well a month later, it got so bad he was loosing wait like crazy, it was cancer, it go to the point, that I couldn't let him be in some much pain and suffering, I had him put down. Then the vet had the nerve to tell me it was fast acting cancer. And his bed side manner sucked. Why do people with no compassion get into this field? this is the 3rd vet that I have had with no compassion.
Dee Dee, if you go on my profile you will see a pic of my ginger cat and you can see his black spots and see if they are the same or different, this might help!
The ones on his eyes, looks like he is Gradually putting on eyeliner.. just in little dots! Haha :)

x
Btw, its the first picture on my pictures LOL :)
xx
Cassandrajane...this is exactly the same as my TJ's black spots but since he's now 14 he has a lot more than your kitty ;)

DeeDee, I am currently out of town but as soon as I get back home this next week, i will be taking Aramis to the Vet, just to hopefully rule out skin cancer.  Like you say, we can compare notes.
They are normal Fc is coming up 3 I think? I think its just the ginger gene! OMG, what if I start getting black spots like my cat? LOL...

Your kitty's are beautiful, wish I could steal them LOL...
:)

x
That funny...the Ginger Gene, lol    I don't think you have to worry, Cassandrajane, ha-ha-ha! We'll have to start calling you Cassandra-jene, ;)
Hahaha :)

if I get blackspots... I'll blame the ginger gene! LOL.
Omg, would freckles count?? Just orange ones?

x
Hi DeeDee....I hope Apollo is doing well.  I took Aramis to the Vet yesterday to have the black "mole" checked.  i was preparing myself for bad news, that it could be melanoma.  I am thrilled to say it is not.  She said it is just a pigment spot.  I was so relieved! :)  I hope you get good news on Apollo.
I saw another cat with it and I was told it was pigment, as they get older it happens on the ears,nose and I guess in cassandrajane's cat by the eyes.I was going to take him to the vet but when I saw that cat and was told it was normal , now I am not worried either.I am glad Aramis is ok,what a relief for you.
Exactly the spots but in Appollos are in his ears instead of the lips.I was told it is pigment when they get older . what a relief its not cancer. Well our old guys will be ok.
I have to put suncream on my kitten Sooty. She is white, but I was told she only needs it on her ears? Same with my Boyfs rabbits!! LOL

But I am glad your kitty is okay... :) Must just happen in lighter animals like White and Ginger

xx
So happy to read, you guys, that those black spots have turned out to be nothing and both kitties are healthy.   What a relief!