Cats Community
my cat is gaining weight--suggestions?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

my cat is gaining weight--suggestions?

i have a year old little tabby cat and another tabby that is about 6 or 7 years old. the older male cat (Reilly) has always been somewhat overweight for a long time. he's not as active as he used to be. the younger female cat (Allie) has always been a good weight.
Reilly always has begged for food all the time. Whenever we walk near his food bowls, he meows and runs in there and sits by them, begging to be fed. We feed her twice a day and that's it. Allie didn't use to beg, but the more she hung around Reilly the more she has begun to do the same thing. Now I have two cats that act as if they are starving all the time. Allie has gained noticeable weight and her body proportions look more like Reilly now.
Her diet is inconsistent as far as food brands go. My mom buys the cat food and always brings in something different. I am willing to buy her some myself if I know of a good brand.
She's always active. We have a small little dog door that she goes in and out of. She brings in little creatures, and is constantly hunting and running outside. She comes indoors for naps, but thats about all.
What can I do to help her lose weight or not gain anymore?
aww a problem for us all....lol
stick to a brand of food with NO grains(fillers)...and NOT meat by-products. it should read, chicken( or whatever for protein)   NOT chicken by products. the better the quality of the diet and meat the more satisfied they will be.
here is an excellent website with lots of info, right at the end of the Dr.'s article she lists the best food brand choices on the market, they do cost more, but when satisfied kitties will eat less too so keep that into consideration. also the $$ saved on Vet bills.good luck.

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=cannedfoods
thank you!! i will purchase her some new food :) is twice a day a good amount to be feeding her?
truthfully she needs to lose a little. will this new diet help with that?
hi, cats typically should eat smaller meals and more often throughout the day....2x is good, 3x is better. I feed mine 4x a day b/c they eat such a small amount at one time and b/c I'm home at their beck and call.....lol. good luck♥
I'm confused.  Which one are you trying to get to lose weight, the older male or the younger female? Who is it that goes out to hunt, the female cat or the dog?
sorry i am trying to get the smaller one to lose weight. shes the one that is mine. i live with my parents but i brought her with me. the bigger one probably needs to as well but he's my parents responsibility, as harsh as that sounds. the smaller one is the one that goes out and hunts.
Ah ok, I gotcha now.  Since she is the hunter, you can't really control her diet unless you kept her inside.  You also mentioned a change in her body proportions.  That combined with the hunting could be a sign of worms or other intestinal parasites that she may have as a result of her hunting.  I would suggest you start with getting a stool sample analysis and treatment for any parasites and then keep her indoors.  That may be all you need too do to keep her from continuing to gain weight.