Cats Community
my cat lost weight drastic

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

my cat lost weight drastic

i noticed a few days ago that my cat wasnt eating, i looked at a pic just over a week ago that i took of him, and he was fine, but this started a few days ago, they gave me antibiotics to try, and it didnt seem to be working, the vet said if he hasnt responded in 3 days of being on them then bring him in, i took him to the vet today and they have him on an iv, but what can cause such a drastic weight loss and him staggering and not eating or drinking very much, he did not have diarrhea and he is not vomiting, the vet said his temp was below normal, and she is doing a bunch of blood tests on him, he is 6 years old and is a domestic short hair.
I'm sorry your kitty is losing so much weight.  The bloodwork should tell you something.  Did your Vet test kitty for feline diabetes?  The staggering and weakness is a concern.  He is still so very young.  Can you try some Gerber Stage 2 chicken baby food or some wet canned food and feed it to him just to get some food into him.  Let's see what others have to say.  I wonder about getting him to an ER if he keeps getting worse.
P.S.  Oh I see on your post that kitty is at the Vet's getting IV's, so excuse my comment about the ER.
thanks maddie6, i hope he is ok, i was looking at pics i took of him a week ago and he was fine, he drastically lost weight so quick, he wont eat he was drinking a lil bit of water, if he was ill like bad there would of been more signs, cause i check on my animals lots and i just noticed this a few days ago, my roommate locked him out of the house on a rainy day which he didnt mean to do, my cats are indoor cats, and he was out there for a couple hours so i dont no if that has something to do with it, do u think that could have something to do with it?
Hi Reassurance,
Gosh I don't know if it could have something to do with his being outside for a couple hours.   Are there other outdoor cats that may have picked a fight with kitty?   Does he have his vaccinations?  His bloodwork results should be in by tomorrow?  Would you be able to visit him if the Vet is keeping him overnight?     Sorry for so many questions.  I'll say a prayer; it's good the Vet is doing more tests and having him on fluids.
yeah they are keeping him over night, the blood work results will be in tomorrow, i have went n see him and he seems more responsive, he responded to his name, and i have a key chain on my car keys and i put it to his face to see if he would follow it, and he followed it, this just came on a few days, so i think what ever it is we may have caught it in time, and im not losing hope, thanks for the prayers, buster is just one of my cats, but i love him dearly, i have 3 cats, and im just hoping all goes well, and my vet is letting me do payment arrangements, because it might cost alot depending on what it is, but if he is anything like me he is a fighter and im putting out as much positive as i can.
I'm so glad you went to see Buster, and he is responding to you.  That all sounds positive, and it sounds like your Vet is taking good care of him.  Being it was also caught early is good, too.  You saw he wasn't right and got him medical care right away.  That's great your Vet is allowing payment arrangements, too.  Buster is young and strong.  I know how much you must love him.  I have one cat (Maggie) and she's in diabetic remission, but I always have to watch for symptoms returning and other side effects.  Keep us posted when you get the blood results.  Take care.
thanks you dont no how much that means to me, that have support, he is one of my babies, and i find myself thinking he is at home, he had this thing where if you opened a door he would try and dash thru it, so i find myself still watching the doors when i open them, as if he is going to dash thru, but i have faith that he will pull thru, the fact that he is young is a good thing, and that it only went on for a few days, she didnt want to give me false hope, but if they thought there wasnt any hope they wouldnt be treating him or testing, they would just of told me to put him down, so there must be some hope right? i have 3 cats 2 dogs and 2 rats, i love my animals so much, and they arent just animals they are my family, you see them everyday and you get to know their characteristics, and you get used to them, and when their not there you feel lost.
I had a cat that also used to dash for the door, and he would want me to chase him down the walkway.  He would never actually run away but just play this little game with me.  That is quite a furbaby family, and I'm sure they will be happy to see Buster back home soon.  I hope you hear something soon from the Vet.  It's the waiting that is hard.  Yes, there sure is hope, especially seeing how much the Vet is doing to get a diagnosis.  Hang in there, and we're all hoping for some good news today for Buster.  Take care.
well i just spoke to the vet ***. and she told me that he seems more responsive and things seem much brighter today. they told me that the iv seems to be working, because they came in today and he is in much brighter spirits, and that he is more attentive. so yea im hoping for the best, still waiting on the test results tho, so lets keep our fingers crossed that everything is ok, I told them to do everything they can to get him better, no matter the cost, im not rich but im rich in love and i will love him better.
Hi there, I'm following Buster's story and I'm glad to see there's some improvement today.  That's very encouraging.  I'll be waiting for your update and hoping the tests reveal what's up with your sweet Buster.

Hang in there, reassurance1!
Ditto!!  It does sound very encouraging, and Buster is in the best place with your Vet taking care of him.  We'll be waiting for an update.  Take care.
well the blood work showed that he is mild anemic and has mild kidney failure, they arent ruling out hope they said, they said they had many animals that have come in and had this happen and bounced back, they just have to be on a special diet, they put him on a new iv with higher levels of potassium, dont no what thats suppose to do, he is staying in over the weekend forsure, but they told me not to lose hope, she agreed that if there wasnt a chance then she would of suggested me to put him down, but she said she hasnt because he is showing some sort of improvement, i cried so hard, i just want him home with me, i know that sounds selfish but he is one of my babies and i am so attached to him, does anyone on here knows anything about what im talking about, they showed me a bunch of numbers from his test but i cant remember what they all meant, but they said they arent asking me to put him down because they told me there is hope, so please pray for buster, and anyone with some knowledge on this please respond i need some hope, i suffer from anxiety disorder so this is making it very hard for me.
hi hon I am so sorry for what you and buster are undergoing, I know how upsetting this is to have a sick pet, esp. when we really don't understand whats going on and feel so darn helpless.
I will give you a website that hopefully will give you a better explanation of whats going on..I know when Vets give us so much info all at once its so easy to get confused. this site will help you feel more comfortable with what they are telling you.
let me know if I can help in any other way....we're all praying for Buster!!

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/kidney_failure_where_to_begin.html

♥Opus
thanks for that site, it helped alot, i read it, so thats why she told me that all hope isnt lost yet, because it can be treated, thats why they told me he needed more potassium and thats why his head was dropping etc, because of the low potassium, i understand it a lil bit more, and i really appreciate it, thanks so much, i appreciate all the kind words and prayers for my buster, he is one of my babies, some may see him as just a cat but he is part of my family and i will pay anything to have him back, but thanks to you all for the support it means alot!!
I am such an animal love, but buster is more than that, he is part of my lil family, he is one of the reasons i wake up, to be able to wake up and see my 3 cats lounging around the house, or waiting for buster to greet me at the door, he kind of acts like a dog sometimes, he wags his tail like a dog, he would greet u at the door, with a lil meow, so im hoping the hope the vet is giving me is true, but that site helped, it explained why his head was dropping and why the vet wanting to add potassium to his iv drip, so again thanks for all the best wishes, talk soon and reading these encouraging posts makes me feel a lil bit better,

sincerely
reassurance1
Hi Reassurance,
I'm so sorry to hear the news, but now you have a diagnosis, and the Vet can now start treating Buster for the health problem.  Opus has given you a great link to help you understand.  And it's mild kidney failure, and Buster is still so young ,so it is all hopeful.  I remember when my cat that crossed the rainbow bridge was first diagnosed, the Vet said he had cancer and also kidney deficiency.  It was really mild kidney failure, but if you think of it as kidney deficiency, it doesn't sound quite so drastic.  I understand about the bond and closeness with Buster as it's hard to explain to anyone who doesn't love pets as much as we do.  they give us such unconditional love.  Prayers and hugs to Buster and you.  
P.S.  I meant to say "renal insufficiency" - I should do a better job of proofreading :(
i talked to the vet today, she called me and told me that there is still hope, he hasnt gotten better but he hasnt got any worse, so thats a good sign, so im keeping up hope, and that link did help alot that opus sent to me, so ya again thanks for the kind words,
Hi Reassurance,
Good to hear from your Vet about Buster.  I hope soon you will be able to take him home.  I know you mentioned he's at the Vet's for the weekend.  Hang in there and hoping to hear good news tomorrow,
well my poor buster succumb to his illness at 3 this afternoon, he died in my arms, we did not put him down, the vet thought it was weird, as if he was waiting for me to get there, she put him in my arms and with in 10 minutes he passed away, ive been crying all day, i dunno how im going to get past this, someone please help, my anxiety is so high right now, and im so depressed, so help i need help getting past this.

sincerely
reassurance1
Hi Reassurance,
I'm so sorry about Buster.  I'm shocked as like you I thought there was hope and he would get better.  I can't imagine how heartbreaking it is for you right now.  I lost my beautiful 16 year old Siamese kitty two years ago, so I know what you're feeling, and it will get better.  You did everything possible to help Buster, and the way he just waited until you held him in your arms to let go shows how much he loved you and knew you did everything possible to help him.  I'm so sorry.  My heart goes out to you.  Buster is free of pain now and running free.  He will always stay close in your heart.  Try to think of some good memories.  Lots of hugs and prayers.
OH hon, I am so very sorry for you and for your poor little baby Buster. You did all you could do hon and he fought so hard. Its so very hard to loose a loved member of our family and it takes a long time to get over the grieving. Like Maddie said he died in your arms knowing how much he was loved...........again I am so sorry for your loss.
RIP little Buster.....♥
Sweetheart, I am so very sorry for your loss of your precious Buster.  We were all so hopeful he would get better.  I too, believe Buster waited for his mommy to hold him and comfort him before he took his final breath.  Try to take some comfort in your other two kitties at this sad time.    

Big Hugs...♥
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your baby~~Let yourself grieve.  I know it hurts right to your very soul but it will be healing.  Buster knew you loved him.    Hugs to you, sara
I just found this thread.  I am so sorry for your loss.  Give your other furbabies big hugs.  Just remember that he will always know that he was loved.

Rhea and Stardust
im doing a lil bit better, but the last week, was so hard on me, i cried to much when buster died in my arms, but im trying to remember that he must of loved me and felt comfortable enough to go in my arms, we got a new 4 month of siamese x, the old owners were going to take these kittens to the spca so i decided to take one, we named her maddie, at first i was scared to allow me to get close to the new addition, because i felt i was being disloyal to buster, but im getting better, this lil kitten needs my attention to, and i have to also show attention to my other animals, so for right now im feeling a lil bit better, still have my crying spells but i just tell myself that he knew i loved him, and he loved me, he felt safe and wasnt in any pain anymore, those are the main thing, so to you all thanks for your kind words, they do mean alot.
I am happy for you hon that little kitten needs you and now he will help you get over the grieving stage and move on, moving on isn't forgetting Buster or being disloyal, you will never forget the good times and the love you both shared, but you will get over those 'final' days and the pain you felt when he died in your arms.....it takes awhile. He will always be in your heart, but your heart is a big home and theres always room for one more...
Welcome to baby Maddie...♥
I think it's great that you gave this little Siamese x kitten a much needed home.  Buster would approve.  Welcome to little Maddie from another Maddie!  I love the Siamese breed, especially if the kitty is a talker.  Looking back I should have done the same thing and given another kitty a home when I lost my Siamese cat as I feel it would have helped me and my remaining kitty get over the grieving and move on, as Opus stated.  Keep the good memories of Buster close to your heart, and enjoy life with baby Maddie.