Cats Community
new kitten

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

new kitten

Hey everyone !
On Halloween morning I discovered a kitten on my front porch. He followed me around and when I opened the door to see if he would come in he reluctently did.
Now this kitten is about 5 months old, a male, gray tabby.
He had no collar, no tags, had fleas pretty bad.
To make a long story short I adopted him, named him Spooky.
Not knowing for postive where he came from (I believe perhaps behind my house where there are some people who have 7 outside cats who are not spayed or neutered, not up to date on shots and as far as food goes, I am sure they got a low quality cat food and also fend for themselves..
I took him to the vet and he was given first set of shots, dewormed, checked for feline Leukemia , feline aids and a stool exam was performed, all were negative.
Revolution was given to me to apply to his neck for fleas, which I treated the next day after his shots.
Problem, the day of taking him to the vet, that morning his stool was a little on the soft side.
After the vet trip, two days later he developed diarrhea.
I took in another stool sample on the fourth day and it came back negative again.
They decided to treat him with Flagyl, 5 days. We have had some semi looking normal stools, but then the next one will be like pudding or runny!
Called the vet they suggested Fortiflora, which I picked up yesterday alond with 5 more days of Flagyl.
He acts completely normal, active, great appetite, drinks adequately(more when his poo is runny and he goes more often)he is growing, putting on weight, no vomiting.

So, I am giving him Blue holistic dry kitten food for the time being, I did not like the Iams which was suggested simply because of the corn products in it and I tried canned Iams kitten food but it only made his stool worse so we are sticking to dry right now until a later time.
I am suppose to take him back in a few weeks to be neutered and a blood panel.
Vet thinks perhaps it is the change in his environment and perhaps a different food that has caused his diarrhea and said it should even out but to stick to normal routines for him, same litter, same food, in other words do not do anything to upset him...
Here I am again, this time with a cat who has frequent loose bowel movements instead of a cat who had constipation issues!
Could it be he has an immature digestive system and the protein is too high for him ?
Could it be that he is allergic to grains?
Could it be that there is still a parasite that has not be detected?
We have to keep in mind that this is a cat that was probably and outside cat from birth, around alot of other cats, probably ate some mice and perhaps birds...
Any suggestions here for me would be most welcome....Btw, hello Opus!
OH Donna how NICE to hear from you again......and with a new kitty too, thats awesome!!!!
I knew it wouldn't be long, we grieve but us cat people just can't be without our little companions for very long, and this one found you....double sweet.

As far as the diarrhea Donna, I think your Vet is on the right track, Spooky(appropriate) has been checked out and treated for all the usual, I too think its diet....he ate what he could find and if he was getting fed at all at that house it would no doubt have been cheap dry food.....and not in great quantity either..so as much as I hate dry kibble I do agree with your Vet and not change that until he's stabilized with good normal bm.s...than slowly introduce the cans, so his system can adjust slowly.

I am soooo happy for you both, and happy to have you back with us again!!!

‚ô•Opus

Thanks Opus..I wasn't looking and had previously said when it is time I will know and this little thing showed up.
Interesting, I brought Ezmeralda home around Halloween and for some reason I believe she was sending me a message, "time for you to move on and give love to another kitty now".
Sounds crazy probably to some people but after reading "animal Talk " and "animals in spirit" by Penelope Smith, both very interesting books, doesn't sound too crazy to me.

Oh yes, I pretty well know that he was fed very low quality adult cat food, when you let 7 cats run around and live outdoors, no shots, no altering, you know what kind of care this little one got...
Hi Donna, so nice to see you back on the forum with your new furry addition!  Spooky sounds like a perfect name!  I'm with your vet, you and Opus in thinking Spooky's digestive system just needs to get used to good food on a regular basis.  I think once another week goes by and any reaction he may of had to the shots and even possibly the Revolution since it is a chemical, has passed, and he's used to eating scheduled meals, the diarrhea will clear up.  I don't know your current schedule, but maybe feeding small meals throughout the day will help his system get used to the new food.  

Keep us updated on Spooky's progress and congratulations!!!!!
Jade, Thanks.
I am feeding small meals throughout the day instead of free feeding..
Will let you know about his progress.
I have never had a male cat before, always been females but he is so sweet!
Aw, so happy for you!  I love gray tabbies.  I've never had a male cat either.  Even as a child, all female cats.  I look forward to your updates, Donna!  
well it's 5:30 am and Spook , my alarm clock, says "it's time to get up and feed me"..
So smart, this is the time we generally get up through the week (husband has alarm clock that wakes him up for work)....
Stools are still soft, some start out having no form but at the end are formed.
Day 6 on Fortiflora (probiotic), last day on Flagyl (10 days)..
Set up for Dec 3rd being altered and second set of vaccinations, bloodwork, he is not going to like the food being taken up after 8pm and water after 9, boy will he be upset with me and doubly when I take him to the vet that morning !
Will keep you all updated on his health when I have some news to share ...
Hey Donna, good to hear Spooky's stool is improving, that's a start.  Try holding off the final feeding until 7:30 - 8 sharp so he has a full belly the night before his surgery.  Otherwise, sounds like Spooky's adjusting beautifully.