renal failure
My cat, Miss Kitty has just died from renal failure.  We did not notice any symptoms except weight loss and as she was about 14,, we attributed this to being older. She was still active and eating, until one Friday night when she collapsed.  We took her to an excellent vet who gave her aggressive treatment over a period of weeks, including IV fluids, saline,blood supplements,  phosphorus blocker, CCRF supplements, KD cat food, and we also gave her Astro Oil.

Her levels were better for a couple of weeks , still critical..She was checked each week and additional fluid treatment was provided twice within weeks..She died this morning. It was a devastating loss. Help me and my family understand this, please.  We take excellent care of our cats.

My questions are what causes this ...environmental factors, immunizations, particular cat food?

Also, how can I prevent my other cats from this disese or help them to avoid it as long as possible?

I dont have any answers to your questions, i just wanted to send my sympathy to you on the loss of your kitty~~~May you find comfort in her memories.          sara
Renal failure may be either chronic or acute. Chronic Renal Failure (CRF) is a progressive, irreversible deterioration of kidney function. Because cats hide their illnesses and the very early signs of CRF are subtle, this disease may only be recognized when the patient reaches the 70% deterioration level and more dramatic symptoms are observable. The seemingly sudden onset may appear to be an acute condition but is most often a crisis point of CRF. By comparison, Acute Renal Failure (ARF) is characterized by an abrupt shutdown of kidney function, most often accompanied by reduced urine production, pri urinary obstructions, infectious diseases, trauma, and the ingestion of toxins.  

CRF is one of the leading causes of illness and death in older cats. If your cat is age seven or older, it's a good idea to check for CRF during each annual exam, with a blood test, urinalysis and blood pressure measurement. With early detection, proper diet, and hydration, cats may remain happy and active for quite some time before the inevitable decline.

CRF may have one or more causes. The common contributing factors are age, genetics, environment, and disease. In recent years, more attention has been directed towards high blood pressure, low potassium levels, acidified diets, and dental disease as possible contributors to the development of CRF. Research has indicated that some breeds have a higher rate of CRF than others. The Maine Coon, Abyssinian, Siamese, Russian Blue, Burmese, and Balinese appear to be more likely to develop CRF than other breeds. Although CRF can occur at any age, it is usually a disease of older cats. With dietary improvements in cat food, advances in feline medical care and more cats living indoors, cats are now living much longer and their bodies eventually wear out just as human bodies do.

I lost a 12 year old Balinese to CRF last year.  Condolences on your loss.
We lost our eldest cat,Pippa, last year to the same thing. Like you we never noticed anything wrong untill the day she died. We have loads of fond memories and tons of photos to remember her by. She gave us 17 years of love. It will get easier but you never forget them.
My sweet~ beautiful~prissy~spoiled rotten~adorable~ Baby Girl, Athena. Is in stage 2 of 4 with a severe Heart Murmer...........You would never know it. But the truth is She could be with us 5 years or 10.........I don't care I will take what I get. I will continue to spoil her rotten.
Our vet was with us when we lost Midnight to thyroid cancer...He was 16. Awesome Cat.
Athena is his exact opposite~~So when Lisa detected the murmer she just said "oh Debra I'm so sorry"
I call Athena~~ Midnight every now and then.
I am soooo sorry for your loss especially the way she went......I don't know what is better KNOWING and being powerless to save them or a SUDDEN DEATH.........My heart breaks for you............Midnight's pictures are all around as is Miss Athena.......Because they are our children ....we can love more than one. Huggggs