Cats Community
spayed female

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

spayed female

My 9 month old kitten who was normally very active, biting, playing, etc. was spayed 5 days ago.  Since she's been home (which was the same day as the surgery) she has been extremely quiet and is sleeping all the time.  She is eating and drinking (excessive amounts of water) and using the litter box.  She is walking very slow and a little hunched and also hides away from us, which she never did .  The same day as the spaying she was given all her shots since I've never been able to get her into a cat carrier to take her to the vet.  I'm worried that this experience has been so traumatic for her that her personality has changed.  Is it normal for her to be acting this way?
no its NOT normal at all dear......darnit these Vets who spay and vaccinate all the same day..very hard on their little systems.......you need to get in touch with your Vet clinic asap. something isn't right, she may have an infection? not just sure.....the drinking and peeing excessively worries me too....that can be a sign of diabetes, but wouldn't have been a complication of the spaying, so I'm not sure, but something isn't at all right....please keep us posted....
I did mean to add that the hiding away from you is a very good indication that she is having PAIN......please see a Vet very soon. ♥
Yikes! why on earth would they give her shots AND do surgery on the same day!?! Now you have no idea if she may be suffering from an adverse reaction due to the surgery or due to the vaccinations. This is going to take some time and effort on their parts to weed out the details to get to the root cause. While being quiet, sleeping, and drinking to a certain extent is rather normal (3 cats spayed and neutered and all did the same thing) for just coming home hours after surgery; however, hunching over seems to be my primary concern.

all my cats have experienced an appetite like a horse; drinking lots of water due to the anesthesia, which also makes them use the litter box often; and skiddish afterwards because they feel violated, confused, and hurt of why you did this to them. My females were a bit slower to recoop and took some time and patience for them to get moving.

If all of this doesn't go away within a week or so, call them up ASAP! Also, you should have been sent home with a care sheet of some sort explaining side effects of anesthesia and things to look out for like blood coming from the stitches. If you have not, then call them up and ask about your concerns. I hope I helped.
For starters, the kitten should have gone to the vet months ago for a general wellness exam, some testing, and to begin vaccinations.  Kittens need a series of vaccinations against several different viruses started from the time they are weaned.  To have anesthesia, several vaccinations, and surgery, all at the same time is just way too much stress on her not yet fully developed immune systems.  With no examination, tests, or vaccinations prior to surgery, she may have been in less than optimal condition even before all this.  Her current issues are physical, not behavioral.  
The problem with my kitten was that she was a bit out of control.  I did take her when she was very young to the vet to be wormed, etc.  Since I've had her from the time she was 4-5 weeks old (abandoned by her mother who is ferel) she had absolutely no disipline.  She bites and scratches us all the time and is only nice when she wants to be.  So it was impossible for me to get her into a cat carrier to take her for vaccines.  Her health was otherwise fine.  I have 2 other cats and would definitely know if she was sick.  Thanks for the info.  I am calling the vet to take her today.  Will keep everyone posted.
Back from the vet.... she had a high fever.  She was given a shot of antibiotics and antibiotics to take home.  Also a shot of pepsid since she was vomiting a little yesterday and IV fluids.  Vet said she should show a big improvement by tomorrow.  Hopefully she will.  He didn't know if it is an infection or a reaction from the vaccines.  Hope she's back to normal soon.  Thank you everyone for the information.  
that good that you did take her in....and hon if she's not showing a big improvement by Tuesday take her back..she sure doesn't need to be feeling so ill.
I hope too that she is soon back to her normal playful self....please keep us posted and join in the discussions anytime too -)
Hi...Her fever came down to 103.5 (from 104.7 yesterday morning) last night and this morning it was 102.1.  She was up and moving around last night and today but she's not totally herself yet.  She vomited her food last night and again this morning along with her antibiotic dose.  Called the vet and he said if she's still vomiting her food up by tomorrow I have to bring her back.  Her fever was back up to 103.5 tonight but she so far has kept her food down.  Is it normal for her fever to fluctuate like that??
poor little tyke, I don't know why her temp should fluctuate so much...perhaps b/c she isn't retaining the abx...she really needs to be on an IV b/c with all that vomiting she will be getting dehydrated, check her gums are they pink and soft or whitish and scaly?..and her skin when you tug on it(tent it) than let it go does it fall right back down or does it stay in the tent position?...
IMO she needs an IV for fluids along with the abx added to recover from this...she can't go on vomiting her food, this is becoming critical, if she doesn't hold down her breakfast than rush her in..(((hugs))) keep us posted.♥
hi, I haven't read through it all b/c I just now found this site about all the possible complications from surgery. I would read through this completely so you are well equipped with knowledge should you need to go back to the Vet...than they can't give you some 'story' about what may have happened...there is an awful lot of things that could have gone wrong and I certainly hope they will help kitty pull through this!!!

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/spaying-cats.html#complications-spay
Yes, body temps in cats can vary quite a bit just based on things like time of day, last food, ambient temp (particularly in kittens), etc.  The normal temperature range for a cat is anything between 100 to 102.5 degrees, so she is making progress.  It probably spiked a bit again because she vomited up a couple doses of her meds.