Cats Community
struvite

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

struvite

Any more tips on recovering from struvite crystals?
?  My male cat 9 years has been struggling for two months.  It started with a blockage, unable to pass uring then leaking.  He has been treated twice with many drugs, stiched in catheta - everything.  He has no appetite, I wet the food, make broth with fish or with beef, have bought a water fountain, give the anti struvite vet prescription food, (doesnt taste so good) anti inflamitory, appetite stimulating drug.  He has finished 2 long courses of antibiotic.

Anyone ever cured this?  yesterday he was leaking everywhere and he has just finished 10 days of treatment. He was at the Vet on monday and he said the bladder was well reduced and he was recovering, there isnt much we can do.

Should I just buy really tasty food and he might flush out? or stick with the medical that he eats little of?

Anyother tips please?  Should I cook him fresh meat as I've heard this can acidify the urine?  Help? He has lost over half his body weight in the last year from a fat cat 9 kilos to under 4 kilos.
Sorry so many questions, has anyone tried accupuncture?
Anyone got any advice.  The last day  at the Vet,? the Vet was saying "Well he is 9, do you think he is in pain"  He is passing blood in his Urine today

Could steroids help? I asked the Vet he said Metacam is as good as steroids.

Anyone been through this?  Desperately worried
Oh I'm so sorry about your cat.
Can you tell me the name of the food you're feeding your cat? What is the brand? IS it Hills C/D-S?
I don't think Struvite crystals is a condition that can be cured but it can certainly be controlled if you have success in resolving magnesium concentration, urine ph, and water consumption. It looks like you've done everything you can. Most importantly, you've been following the vet's advice. Your cat's condition is an on-going battle, and yes, I strongly believe DIET is the main contributing factor. Diet can influence the health of the urinary tract. By controlling mineral levels, changing the urine pH, increasing water intake, and adjusting feeding schedules, the risk of a cat developing urinary crystals and stones can be decreased.
Sounds like your cat is one of those who will forever have to stay on prescription foods. You and the vet have done everything. Talk to the vet about his lack of appetite again. Ask him if he could recommend another food that he might enjoy while keeping him away from getting crystals.
Lastly, Is he blocked? Sorry I'm not helping much. Your is one of those cases where the vet has already done a lot, you as well, so it leaves us basically out of options as all the options that at least I know about have already been put in action. Hopefully, someone else with more experience will be able to give you more suggestions.
Good Luck with your kitty hun.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write.  I live in Austria and he is on S/O prescription food, to disolve struvite stones

He is not blocked at present.

He will be back at the vet in one hour, I do not feel very hopeful as his pee is half blood.
Well blood in the urine may be a sign of  feline cystitis. It affects the bladder (not the kidneys), resulting in the production of tiny crystals and bloody urine. The cat often urinates much more frequently than normal, usually with the passage of only a few drops of urine. Many cats will urinate in places other than the litter box due to the irritation of the bladder wall, Hard cool surfaces such as tile floors, counter tops, sinks, and bathtubs are often used.

Dry foods may not initiate, but will aggravate the problem after it begins. This is because of the higher mineral content (ash) and lower water content of dry foods. I am trying, for his own sake, to switch my cat to a better nutrition: raw or cooked meat, chicken or fish with whole eggs, vitamins and minerals......and little to no carbs, because dry foods can certainly aggravate a cat's condition once the crystals are formed.

This I found on a magazine. You might want to look into it. I think it applies to your kitty.
"Each cat with cystitis is treated according to the changes in the urine (pH, crystals, bacteria, blood, etc.), the type of crystals present, the presenting clinical signs (straining, increased frequency, etc.), and the presence or absence of a bladder stone or urethral obstruction. The first line of treatment is always to increase water consumption, decrease minerals in the diet and decrease stress. This is accomplished by eliminating dry food, and mixing water in with the canned food (which is preferably a food which promotes an acidic urine pH) If neither a bladder stone nor urethral obstruction is present, proper medication will generally relieve the discomfort. A urinalysis is necessary to determine the proper medication. A special diet will help to dissolve crystals in the urine and hasten recovery. If the cat has an obstruction of the urethra, a catheter is passed into the bladder while he is under a short-acting anesthetic. The catheter is frequently left in place for about 24 hours. The cat is discharged from the hospital when it appears unlikely that obstruction will reoccur, usually 1-2 days later. If he is experiencing kidney failure and toxemia, intravenous fluids and additional hospitalization are needed."
Thank you for your kind help and advice.
Well after a couple of really good happy days, my poor cat started bleeding really badly.  We rushed to the Vet to see that the struvite treatment had totally worked the bladder was clear and he could see a tumor on the bladder wall.  So sad - they will open him up tomorrow to see the extent, he is sleeping at the Vets now.  I have to wait for the phone call tomorrow, it is heartbreaking. The house is awful without him, even though we have four kids and three other pets, it is not the same.  He is so affectionate, but I think he is suffering.
Oh I'm so sorry about your pet. I know how you feel. Hang in there. I'm not in a very good place either. My cat may have cancer. I'm waiting on the lab results. Like your cat, Abby has bleeding problems but he doesn't have crystals. His colon is chronically irritated. The vet said the mucose is all bloody; it doesn't even look normal, so he bleeds when he evacuates. He is on antibiotics right now, but it's hard to see a sick pet. It's so good to see them active and happy...
Stay positive. Whatever the outcome (the discovery of the tumor extent or whatever else they may find in there), just know it'll be for the better, because the vet will know how to treat him better.
I'm so sorry your kitty is going through this..
Thank you.  You are very kind.  I will keep my fingers crossed for your cat.
Well my poor Finn was euthanised today.  The bladder cancer was gone to far with large haemotomas inside and outside the bladder and the tumor was very big.

I think the whole family is very confused as we feel he should be here and there is a big space.  He was a true beauty RIP
I'm so sorry for your loss. Honestly, I thought his condition was pretty bad; but I never imagined he would end up being euthanized.
Well, at least his pain and suffering has ended. Those bladder infections and tumors are really concerning and very common in cats and dogs, especially indoors.

Again, I'm sorry about your kitty.