Cats Community
treatment for kitten with head injury and seizures

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

If a 5 week old, 1.6 lb. kitten had some sort of head injury that was causing seizures, what would be the most likely path of treatment. Is there anything that can be done?

The kitten was seen by an emergency care clinic but they did not answer this question for me. I will be contacting my regular vet tomorrow. I do not know what caused the injury but I am sure there was one.
awe! the poor bitty kitty! i will keep your bitty baby friend in my thoughts.
i would think that the baby kitties have a softer skull like a human baby.  any bump to the noggin in a baby could cause a concussion. seizures are scarry as hell! just make sure the bitty kitty knows that you love it.
generally you take a "wait and see" approach with a head injury with a kitten that young. I know it's not a very satisfying answer, but it's a delicate age and most medications for seizure related orders can wreck havoc on such a young kitten's system.

See what your vet says. Perhaps s/he'll decide it's worth the risk to use one of the anti seizure med's. hopefully there's just some swelling causing the seizures and after a few days it will go down and the problem will resolve itself.

Keep an eye on her and make note of any motr skill problems or behavioral problems. Be sure to tell your vet about them.
a stray cat had kittens in my 2nd floor wall. They are about 3 wks old and fell down to my basement, one inparticilar has  been having some problems he was the 1st to fall and the others fell  on top of him now he rolls in pain and cant walk his head is tilted to the right and dosent stay up the right eye also slugish pls give me any helpful sugg.
Hi there. I just adopted a 6 month old female kitten from a good friend). About 3 or 4 months ago the kitten got up on his kitchen counter from the couch and fell off. She hit her head and was bleeding out of her right ear. He rushed her to an emergency vet where they told him she had a skull fracture. They gave her pain meds through an IV and kept her in an oxygen filled incubator. They gave the kitty a 50% chance of survival. He picked her up the following morning and paid them $600. They advised he take her to another vet where the cost wouldn't be as hi, but he took her home. I helped him feed her with kitten formula and a bottle. She wouldn't suck, so we had to squeeE drops of formula into her mouth and allow her time to swallow. He fed her that way for a few days and then stopped. The mother cat cleaned her constantly and got her only kitten to nurse again. The kitten was basically a vegetable. She couldn't walk. She would try, but would fall over and continue in circles. She would lift her head up and then fall to the right or would end up rolling over. It was hard to watch, but eventually she showed signs of improvement. I told my friend to think positive because I have a dog who was hit by a car 10 years ago and the vet told me to put her down because she would never recover and probably live a very difficult existence. That vet was wrong. My dog is amazing and so happy and appreciative to be alive. So, my point is, any trauma takes time and patience to heal. When the swelling goes down you will see improvements hopefully. My kitten is almost fully recovered. She walks a little silly and wobbles sometimes when she is in play mode and she can't jump up very high, but she is still young and probably continuing to heal. I hope by now your kitten has improved and he too will live a happy and full life with a caring, sensitive, understanding and most of all loving family.
My cat ate pretzels and is now acting sick, red bloodshot eyes, vomitted twice and her eyes look like she wants to sleep. SHe only wants to lay around and sleep. what can I do. She has ate some food, but I can tell she is not feeling well.
kittens head was slammed in refrigerator door,she stretches when you wake her up,but then goes back to sleep,she has been like this for approx 24hrs,she hasnt ate anything and has used the bathroom onetime, can see a bit of swelling on her head.wakes up for a few minutes then goes back to sleep,
my 4 month old kitten fell off my 18 feet balcony and landed on the concrete on her head... in india we dotn have the facility of MRI scans for animals... anyways we administered various shots to reduce inflammation in her brain, muscle relaxants etc.. the vets cudnt figure out exaclty what was wrong with her.. after the fall she cudnt walk for about ten days.. anyways she is now able to walk, however she isnt the playful overhyper kitten she once was... she walks really wobbly and is a little slow in her responses and cannot jump very well... she has lost weight .. she is pretty much half the size of her sister.. she dosent play so much anymore.. its been a month and a hlaf since the fall.. can anyone suggest what to do? will she ever be hyper of playful again? its heart breaking to see her like... im happy that she now walks and runs without toppling over.. but how do i know if she will improve any further.. we also administered mannitol shots in case there was fluid in her brain has the vet suggested... does anyone have any suggestions... some ppl told me to put her to sleep!!! i dont think thats the right option as im hoping and praying she fully recovers with our love and care...
I'm so glad I found your post. My kitten just turned 5 weeks old today and she hurt her head some how 3 days ago.She seems better today and is finally eating kitten formula. She slept a lot the first 24 hours. The second day she walked in circles and had heart breaking seizures. She is resting a lot better today. I prayed every day so far that she will heal and be happy and playful again. That is why your posting has given me such hope for her.
Just a note - I had an elderly cat who I think suffered a head trauma, not sure, there was no sign but he starting having mild seizures, the vet basicly forced me to put him down, they kept him in for 2 days and called me in on the second day to euthanaze - I really really regret doing this now as he was absolutel the light & love of my life, when I checked the eyelid reflex it was working, the vet went ' Yes, I know but . . . . '
In retrospect I realized that the vet had sedate the ca with poor renal function thus the cat would have taken a long time to come out of sedation, thus it was hard to tell the neurological function.
Bottom line from my experiece
NEVER PUT A CAT DOWN WITH HEAD INJURY UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN - take the cat home for a week or two and nurse your cat back to consciousness and beyond - cats are incredibly resilient but THEY NEED THE CARE OF THEIR OWNERS.

Just wanted to share my story on my kitten that has a head injury.  He was approximately 6 wks old and a "traveling" Tom Cat attacked him on our back porch.  There were three kittens in the litter (2-males, 1-female) and he attacked this one male cat and when we heard the commotion, we ran the cat off.  Did not know the kitten was injured.  The next morning when I went to feed them, the injured kitten was sitting separate and did not want to eat.  When I came home that evening after work, I saw him still the same, but had a few "accidents" on the porch.  He continued to get worse, not eating and not moving around.  He started having seizures, but afterwards, if I put him to the food/milk plate, he would eat alittle.  This continued for 3 days.  His head started swelling and could not hold himself up to eat and the seizures got worse and more frequent.  Finally, started feeding him milk with an eye dropper yesterday and the swelling on his head was better because the abscess ruptured.  Momma cat was always around and would try to lick him alittle, but he did not nurse.  This morning when I went out to feed them, he had his eyes open and head up.  I fed him with an eye dropper at first, but could tell he was stronger and was trying to get up.  I set him up on all fours and at first he fell and was VERY wobbly when he tried to walk.  But within a short time, he was walking all over the place and the Momma came over and starting licking him.  He followed her around, off the porch and into the grass.  Two days ago, I was prepared for him to die at any time, or was thinking that I was being cruel to prolong this and should put him down.  Glad I didn't do anything but give him love and as much time and nourishment as he needed.  I am truly amazed at how much different he is at this point.
I am so happy for you that this is turning into a good outcome.  He just needed that little extra special TLC.  Bless you for being there to give it to him and to give him a fighting chance at life.
hi i have a cat about five years old i was holding her when she wriggled out of my grip she fell maybe a metre and a bit right on to her head ,after the fall she slowly got up but was wobbly and now she keeps itchting the part of her head that she fell on and is a little slow .I keep asking my mother to take her to the vet but shes insisting that shes fine. I don't know what to do!! can someone help me?
my kitten is about 6-8 weeks and my son was being mean to the kitten and threw it on the floor and when doing so it hit its head and had a sezuire , i got so scared i thought it was dying os i started to perform cpr on it. and i got it to come through but i know it had a sezuire cuz it clamped its jaw shut and was biting his tounge. finally afterwards my boyfriend wrapped the kitten in the blanket and heldit and it started to walk but keeps trying to fall over and its back leg twitches, and it wont sit still, i fed it tuna and it ate it all so it is eating but im scared still for it.. its not meowing in pain or anything... it just sits there and shakes... this is the first time my son has EVER had this and i was already giving it away...
omg the poor dear little kitten....you must keep your son away from this kitten please, small babies cannot be treated roughly like that as you've seen...
keep the kitten warm and in a SAFE place....do not attempt to feed him until he regains full consciousness
It would be the best if you could take this kitten in to a Vet....