Cats Community
ulcers on the mouth of my cat

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

ulcers on the mouth of my cat

Lysine, I was told by my vet would help my cat with mouth ulcers. It has not. Instead, the Lysine has made him scratch until he bleeds and has made him psycotic, bouncing off the walls. I have not given him anymore Lisine in 2 days. What can I give him that will get rid of the ulcers? He has already been given 2 vet steroid shots in the past that has helped him,shortly. He does not have FIV.
well IMO I'm glad u stopped using this on poor kitty....it must have really irritated.
the vet was treating the symptoms and not the cause.
try going on the 'ask an expert'  vet forum and I sure hope you get some answers
Hi, I agree that you should try the Ask a vet forum, you can find it to the right of the screen on this page.  They will be able to give you some more ideas and possible treatment ideas.

I've got a couple of ideas that I've read about and one of our members Phoenix had to deal with this.  How old is your cat and how long has he had these ulcers in his mouth?  Has the vet checked his teeth, or has a biopsy been done on it?  If an ulcer hasn't responded to meds in a few weeks, in my opinion, it's time for a biopsy.  This could also be food allergies!  You can do some experimenting at home w/ some different foods to see if there's improvement.

Good luck to you!
my cat sami has whats called essinophic plague
Its an allergy...cause could be many things we are working on food, which worked good until 2 days ago when he broke out again!!!
So I've been doing alot of reading abt this symptom again....he gets a mess of scabs around his eyes and neck mostly...which he scratches and opens and they get to be a mess...A MOST FRUSTRATING DISEASE !!!.he's had to be treated with cortisone injections, today instead of the injections I am trying prednisone tablets( Oh YES I sure do know abt diabetes)

anyway long story short!!!
this disease can also cause sores in the mouth/lips/tummy etc...
you may want to do some reading on it, maybe they aren't ulcers at all
this does look like an ulcer when irritated
good luck
My old vet kept telling me my 13 yr old cat, Simba, had a canker sore and it would heal on its own or it’s a rotten tooth. She didn't get the fact that Simba had it for 3 months already and it wasn't healing; it was getting bigger and all his molars were removed. I went to another vet for a 2nd option and ended up switching vets. Simba didn't have a canker sore or a bad tooth, after surgery I found out it was a tumor. Simba got some meds from the vet and I gave him some herb, the tumor shrank at 1st. the 1st 7 months, Simba was running around and acting normal except he couldn't eat solid food. I'd put tuna fish in the blender or gave him meat flavor baby food. After 8 months, Simba was starting to show he was sick and I had to make the choice for him that I didn't want to but had to. I put him to sleep. I hope this isn't your cat future. If your vet isn't listening to you, get a 2nd option.